McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A warning for future customers waiting to receive their new 720s or enthusiasts thinking of placing an order. I received my new 720s end of Jan 2018 and as expected I could not contain my excitement. Unfortunately, the car was riddled with problems:
  • Almost all the body panels were misaligned and it took the dealer several attempts to get them as flush as possible with some resemblance of consistent panel gaps. The driver side door is still not flush as understandably the dealer does not have the same facilities as the manufacturer. Amazing as to how this would have passed quality control after all their hype about their strict quality checks and control procedures.
  • Constant computer software issues that have had me going back to the dealer regularly since taking possession of my vehicle. The most dangerous was when the car simply lost power and did not accelerate even though the engine was revving. This experience was most unnerving, especially when other vehicles were approaching at high speed behind me. Another time my instrument panel went blank. Constant display of warning messages about all sorts of system failure is a regular occurrence.
  • The most recent problem occurred two weeks ago with the vehicle suspension and nose lift mechanism failed and I was not able to clear the warning by locking/unlocking and restarting my car.
This was the straw that broke the camels back. I have had the dealer tow my car from my home and I have requested never to see my car again. I am seeking a full refund from McLaren as this vehicle is not fit to be driven nor is it safe to be sold to a consumer.
So sorry to hear about your experience.

Fortunately, I’ve had literally no issues, with the exception of a required SW flash, on my 2019 720s. Agree that panel gaps aren’t as perfect as some other mass market sports cars, such as a 911 GT3 (also own a 19 gt3 RS), but in my experience similar to a Huracan.

·
Banned
97 Posts
So sorry to hear about your experience.

Fortunately, I’ve had literally no issues, with the exception of a required SW flash, on my 2019 720s. Agree that panel gaps aren’t as perfect as some other mass market sports cars, such as a 911 GT3 (also own a 19 gt3 RS), but in my experience similar to a Huracan.
My Huracan has been solid. Never had to complain about anything. I’m not even that BMW type of guy either. 😂

·
Andymlow
255 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully you can get your money back, or resolve to your satisfaction. As stated above, some of us have had no issues (on 2018 or 2019 cars) some have had several issues of varying degree.

I will say this, I had many issues with the new Ferrari f12 I had, nothing that left me stranded, but several issues that make you scratch your head on quality or the company backing you and making it right - so it is not just one marquee that has these problems.

It is interesting how my perspective has changed in the last 25 years of exotic ownership. The ferrari's and Lambo's I bought in the 90's and early 2000's had issues (probably more), but the cost being less to fix and the company's willingness to help make it right seemed ok, and pretty normal. As the cars got more expensive and more complicated 2010 and beyond, it seems a lot more aggravation, and also mine and other buyers tolerance for these types of issues due to cost of the vehicles, time to repair, hassle getting it fixed, manufacture not standing behind the consumer - all seems different.
I think the biggest factor is that ordinary cars used to have these issues at the same rate as exotics. The standard daily driver is now so reliable that the expectation as risen and exotics have not kept up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huracan is a great car, i just noticed that panel gaps aren’t perfect with many exotics. Btw.. also owned a 17 R8 and much prefer the Huracan, if for no more than aesthetics.

My $.02

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sometimes its not fully about the product.
The dealer gives him a hard time of what he believe was warranty work. Rubs the customer the wrong way despite He/she eventually paying for the fix.
Customer service is enough to drive a casual buyer away from the brand.

I agree buying outside your “home” dealer can take away good will gestures. But evening needing the idea of good will sort of sucks.
Dealers don't want to pick fights with customers. They want to get paid and preferably from Mclaren. They do not want to have these difficult conversations with customers that they have to pay for something. They'd rather jam it through to Mclaren. They are not the ones pushing back on customers without having significant blow back from the manufacture.

Examples of goodwill:
transporting back and forth to dealer for track inspection

transporting back to customer for warranty work in case of roadside assistance

Fixing a screw up by a third party shop (Right after I had a passport laser system installed in 650 I had the error of the hood not closing properly. It was because the third party shop guy screwed it up. My dealer didn't charge me to fix it.

Wear and tear items; one pulls too hard on the parking brake and it breaks - dealers will goodwill it .

Behind the scenes between dealer and manufacture have a number of factors. I have been through this. Mclaren along with all other manufactures have a goodwill calculator which takes many things into consideration of whether they want to comp something, discount it or not. Part of this comp. is all 3 parties have to be willing to budge (manufacture with the parts, dealer with their billable rate and customer accepting this).

A dealer is not willing to comp. so easily or take reduce rates if you didn't buy from them. If you bought from them, then they have $$$ invested in you as a customer and are a bit more easily persuaded to goodwill it. If you bought a car used, from a different dealer or a deeply discounted car then a manufacture looks at you much differently when they want to goodwill something. I know this from experience because I went through this with them for something that wasn't a warranty item.

People really think that dealers are just a middle man and they are not important in this entire experience. You see it with many of the postings. People look for the deal (buy it used, discounted, private party, auction, etc.) and think there will be no future consequence to it. Hell, if I got a car for $100K off the MSRP and I had to pay a few thousand dollars for questionable warranty work then I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think everyone's experience is going to be different and we should respect others experience because it could happen to you! I can understand, to an extent, not wanting to hear constant complaints about the car/brand you own but part of it sounds like sensitive ego's also? I am constantly defending Mclaren online because of the constant remarks about reliability. I try to point out that the 720s doesn't have as many issues as the earlier Mac's and most 720s owners haven't been stranded because of reliability issues.

HOWEVER Mac does have build quality issues that have been discussed and I have had a few myself. I think it depends how your dealer treats you. Mine has been pretty good so far but I am concerned how long they will continue to cover warranty issues under warranty or will it become too much for them??

I think it is very important to keep this forum open so we all can learn from each other good or bad, This forum has helped me make a informed decision when spending $400k which I don't take lightly. I think every Mclaren buyer should research these cars before buying so it will reduce complaints after-sale. It's not going to be like other more established exotic car buying experiences but I hope it will get there sooner then later!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think everyone's experience is going to be different and we should respect others experience because it could happen to you! I can understand, to an extent, not wanting to hear constant complaints about the car/brand you own but part of it sounds like sensitive ego's also? I am constantly defending Mclaren online because of the constant remarks about reliability. I try to point out that the 720s doesn't have as many issues as the earlier Mac's and most 720s owners haven't been stranded because of reliability issues.

HOWEVER Mac does have build quality issues that have been discussed and I have had a few myself. I think it depends how your dealer treats you. Mine has been pretty good so far but I am concerned how long they will continue to cover warranty issues under warranty or will it become too much for them??

I think it is very important to keep this forum open so we all can learn from each other good or bad, This forum has helped me make a informed decision when spending $400k which I don't take lightly. I think every Mclaren buyer should research these cars before buying so it will reduce complaints after-sale. It's not going to be like other more established exotic car buying experiences but I hope it will get there sooner then later!
People on car forums tend to think that they are the typical buyer. Not the case at all. The feelings/opinions expressed on car forums are not shared by the typical owner of these cars. You'd think that all anyone cares about is depreciation, constant talking about mechanical reliability, etc. Here is a posting of mine from a different car forum. These are the typical buyers and are under represented on car forums:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only have positive things to say about all these cars (track and street driving) A big part of the decision is the cost of buying the car. However, contrary to car forums and the non stop "which car is better", etc., my experience is that people go in and out of cars and none of these cars are holds forever. Just a sample of people that I know who do street/track driving and their car buying history in the last 3 years (none of them are in the car industry, they are just enthusiasts).

Myself: 675 (sold), .1gt3rs (sold), 720, senna (sold), 600 LT

Neighbors: (non track people)
a) aventador sv roadster (sold), 488 (sold), 720s (sold), .1 gt3 (sold), gt2rs, pista
b) scud (sold), 458 spider, .2 gt3
c) 458 spider (sold), 488 spider (sold), 720s (sold), performante
d) 570 (sold), performante (sold), 720s
e) 570 spider (sold), 570 gt
f) 650 (sold), cali t (sold), 488 (sold), 600 LT
g) aventador (sold), f12 (sold), 488 spider (sold), 720s (sold), gt2rs, pista

Many more examples of the above

Others whom I track and are friends or acquiantences who I track with:

a) 650s (sold), .1 gt3rs (wrecked), .2 gt3rs (pending sale), 600 LT
b) .1 gt3 (sold), .2 gt3 (sold), 570 (sold), gt2rs (sold), .2 gt3rs
c) .1 gt3rs (sold), 600 LT (sold), gt2rs (incident and no longer around), 720s, .2 gt3rs
d) performante (pending sale), .2gt3rs (sold), 600 LT
e) .1 gt3rs (sold), Many ferrari's bought and sold, 720s (sold), 720 spider, pista
f) 720s, gt2rs
g) .1 gt3 (sold), 570s (sold), .2 gt3rs

The above examples are the typical type of people who own these cars and not what you see people fighting about, spewing fake news on car forums.
------ Many other such people I know who fit the above profiles. None of these cars are hold forever cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A warning for future customers waiting to receive their new 720s or enthusiasts thinking of placing an order. I received my new 720s end of Jan 2018 and as expected I could not contain my excitement. Unfortunately, the car was riddled with problems:
  • Almost all the body panels were misaligned and it took the dealer several attempts to get them as flush as possible with some resemblance of consistent panel gaps. The driver side door is still not flush as understandably the dealer does not have the same facilities as the manufacturer. Amazing as to how this would have passed quality control after all their hype about their strict quality checks and control procedures.
  • Constant computer software issues that have had me going back to the dealer regularly since taking possession of my vehicle. The most dangerous was when the car simply lost power and did not accelerate even though the engine was revving. This experience was most unnerving, especially when other vehicles were approaching at high speed behind me. Another time my instrument panel went blank. Constant display of warning messages about all sorts of system failure is a regular occurrence.
  • The most recent problem occurred two weeks ago with the vehicle suspension and nose lift mechanism failed and I was not able to clear the warning by locking/unlocking and restarting my car.
This was the straw that broke the camels back. I have had the dealer tow my car from my home and I have requested never to see my car again. I am seeking a full refund from McLaren as this vehicle is not fit to be driven nor is it safe to be sold to a consumer.
Thanks for your Post I was wanting a McLaren but based on what I am hearing I think I am going to pass!

·
570S Silica White
743 Posts
Thanks for your Post I was wanting a McLaren but based on what I am hearing I think I am going to pass!
That's too bad. I've owned dozens of various brand sports/supercars (Ferrari/Lotus/Porsche/BMW/Z06) over the years and my 570S (4 years old, 13k miles) is the by far the best car I have ever owned, and among the most reliable (essentially zero issues). Hate to see you miss out on a fantastic brand because of a few bad stories. Every McLaren owner I personally know is (or will be) a repeat buyer, no horror stories at all.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

strange reaction when a lot of ppl (some of them owned 5-10 McLaren cars so far) completely disagree with the OPs post ...

·
Registered
138 Posts
New owner to the brand, and my 675LT is 1 of 4 cars and guess what keys I grab the most. Puts a smile on my face hands down, and the key is a good dealer. If the dealer is bad I don’t care what brand it may be it will suck. My MAC dealer is awesome when I need something. Had a simple request light came on low power steering fluid, called my sales guy he said meet me in the service bay. Pulled in he and a tech were there waiting took care of the problem, and chatted with the tech shooting the crap for awhile and said thank you. Tech said call me if you need anything he’s done all the work on my 675LT and said it’s been flawless enjoy it. Granted small talk, but my local dealer gets it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
One clear problem is the tone taken by some who have had problems with their car or dealer. EVERY marque has these stories. Yet some of these same people refuse to believe that others have had a very positive experience.

My 720S is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. My dealer has provided impeccable service, and I've been even MORE impressed by McLaren HQ Woking, who have been fantastic every single time I've visited them, or an event of theirs.

Best car experience I've ever had.

Second best being BMW oddly enough - not for reliability, but for their customer treatment (from Munich HQ). Porsche have not impressed me in the least - even more arrogant than Ferrari. But again, I don't go posting on Porsche forums.

·
McLaren Convert
396 Posts
When McLaren introduced the 12C, I remember watching an interview on youtube.

“McLaren will offer Porsche like reliability with Ferrari Like Performance.”

I also remember a promise that every service center would carry enough parts to build an entire 12C from parts, so customers would never have to wait for parts to arrive from overseas.

Having owned 3 McLarens, I think these were lofty goals at best, broken promises at worst. But when I sold my Huracan I still came back to McLaren as a brand, with eyes open to the issues related to owning a car from this manufacturer.

Things that I think McLaren could work on are:
1. Larger dealer network. when Lake Forest in Chicago stopped selling McLarens, there was nearly a 1.5 year window where I would have had to ship to Mac Philly to get service. Having such a small dealer network makes prospective owners nervous about ownership, and hurts resale.

2. If no larger dealer network, better support for cars to be serviced by independent shops. I love my dealership McLaren Chicago. I live about 2 hours away. But those who live further away from dealerships may want to do service closer to them. Brake fluid, oil change, basic work prior to track days for example. I don’t think a owner should have to worry about potential warranty coverage if a competent person services the car. And while legally owners are protected in the US by consumer laws, McLaren has been known to give some customers grief when things aren’t done within the dealer network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
When McLaren introduced the 12C, I remember watching an interview on youtube.

“McLaren will offer Porsche like reliability with Ferrari Like Performance.”
I agree 100%, McLaren failed on both counts! :eek:

My 720S is more reliable than a Porsche, and performs far better than a Ferrari 😂

·
Registered
122 Posts
I became interested in McLaren through a friend. He has/had 720S coupe (sold) 720S spider, 600 LT Senna, 570 GT4. He tracks them all and had no problems.
I find all the negativity disheartening but it won't stop me from getting a car.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I became interested in McLaren through a friend. He has/had 720S coupe (sold) 720S spider, 600 LT Senna, 570 GT4. He tracks them all and had no problems.
I find all the negativity disheartening but it won't stop me from getting a car.
Always better to listen to owners with multiple ownership experiences than reading some forum stuff ...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yet some of these same people refuse to believe that others have had a very positive experience.
The typical owner on here who is here to learn or share experiences information constantly gets baited by others who have an agenda.... and everyone keeps falling for it.

O.P. has one posting. It could be a teenager sitting in his underwear in his mom's basement and trying to stir up people who own supercars (yes, there are people like this on car forums who get kicks out of doing this type of stuff).

TrustTed; keeps reviving old threads. As far as I am concerned, he is a troll. As if anyone is going to even listen to him.

Poster who said he isn't going to buy a mclaren.... has 2 postings. Comical stuff.

People who do these types of postings are a special breed of person.

Salamondrin did a video four years ago; 5 reasons not to buy a mclaren and its a big hit with the massess. Since then, Mclaren has sold about 14K new cars, he, himself has bought 4 mclarens, his senna goes up in flames, he goes into a social media frenzy and interfering everywhere he can..... now he is looking to buy another senna or p1....... and then you have knuckleheads on here with little credibility who actually think they are influencing people.

It's very sad what car forums have become.

61 - 80 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.