McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
it’s crazy to me that people attack someone who would spend tremendous money on a car and expect it to just work properly. God forbid someone buys something costing $350k and that thing be an enjoyable ownership experience. I keep finding myself right on the edge of buying a Mclaren mostly because the 720S is still a hypercar for supercar money. However, what holds me back is that if I do have issues and I come here for help half the members are seemingly duty bound to call THE OWNER out for Mclaren’s issues and Mclaren themselves seem far too hit or miss when it comes to fixing their mistakes.
Is that aimed at me ? If yes then I am attacking because it doesn't smell right, arguing about a radiator whilst your car sits there for 2 months sounds sounds ridiculous IMO. If the OP thinks it does not have rock damage then FFS go to the dealer and demand to see the damn radiator or demand a photo showing the damage, it should take a day NOT 2 months.
I think it is pretty obvious now that buying a Mclaren and "expecting it to just work properly" ie like a Nissan or a Kia is probably not realistic, these hand built cars will have quirky issues and buyers need to adjust their expectations or buy something else. My own experience is pretty good for my expectations and the car itself scores so highly that any issues are of no bearing in the overall fantastic ownership experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not just aimed at you. Others as well. What doesn't "smell right"? He spent and bunch of money and then presumably lost a bunch at resale for the purposes of making a post on a Mclaren car forum? Come on....

Also, we SHOULD expect our cars to work all the time and hold manufacturers accountable when they don't. I hold each and every one of my employees to a high standard of customer care and if our customer pays for a service they should get a good experience (HVAC business). I keep my customers for a long time and extract a lot of value out of them consequently. So much so I just sold my business for 10x EBITDA.

Mclaren should strive to be improve in the QC department, listen to customers and make it right if it doesn't go right. It's each customer's job to hold Mclaren to the standard you'd have for your own business.

·
Registered
81 Posts
it’s crazy to me that people attack someone who would spend tremendous money on a car and expect it to just work properly. God forbid someone buys something costing $350k and that thing be an enjoyable ownership experience. I keep finding myself right on the edge of buying a Mclaren mostly because the 720S is still a hypercar for supercar money. However, what holds me back is that if I do have issues and I come here for help half the members are seemingly duty bound to call THE OWNER out for Mclaren’s issues and Mclaren themselves seem far too hit or miss when it comes to fixing their mistakes.
Agreed. I think people who defend passionately are afraid of something else if you ask me. Saying I’m upset over winning little battles. No more battles for me I sold the car because I’m fed up with dealing with a petty brand. Yes I’m upset because I wish I could have enjoyed the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is that aimed at me ? If yes then I am attacking because it doesn't smell right, arguing about a radiator whilst your car sits there for 2 months sounds sounds ridiculous IMO. If the OP thinks it does not have rock damage then FFS go to the dealer and demand to see the damn radiator or demand a photo showing the damage, it should take a day NOT 2 months.
I think it is pretty obvious now that buying a Mclaren and "expecting it to just work properly" ie like a Nissan or a Kia is probably not realistic, these hand built cars will have quirky issues and buyers need to adjust their expectations or buy something else. My own experience is pretty good for my expectations and the car itself scores so highly that any issues are of no bearing in the overall fantastic ownership experience.
You don’t think I went to see it in person? They could not show me the rock they claimed damaged it. All they showed me was a dent and said it was from a rock. Go do yourself a favor and research how many McLarens have coolant leaks on here, you’ll be surprised all these cars have these issues and are stock. Why else would McLaren issue a bulletin to repair these problems. They just didn’t want to warranty my car for whatever reason maybe so many issues if they keep warranty if them it becomes a real recall and they are broke to afford a recall.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You don’t think I went to see it in person? They could not show me the rock they claimed damaged it. All they showed me was a dent and said it was from a rock.
Coolant leaks seem to be from crappy fasteners from what I read ? You didn't mention that you went to see it in person, if there was a dent then surely that is impact damage why do you think they would find the rock which did it ? You think they should accept that the rad was dented when it was installed from the factory or do you think the service guys dented the rad ? It sounds like you think because you paid a lot that you should have everything covered by warranty even road rash dented rads..... maybe other brands allow this and maybe that is what people expect, I come from Porsche stuff which I have tuned quite a bit in the past and am used to paying for bits that break.
You have got rid of the car and away from the brand so hopefully you will find the level of quality and service you desire (y)

·
Registered
836 Posts
This seems to be dealer dependent and your relationship with them. I understand that’s wrong as good customer service should be everywhere with the mclaren logo. Beverly Hills and Newport dealers are pretty good with customer service

·
Registered
81 Posts
Coolant leaks seem to be from crappy fasteners from what I read ? You didn't mention that you went to see it in person, if there was a dent then surely that is impact damage why do you think they would find the rock which did it ? You think they should accept that the rad was dented when it was installed from the factory or do you think the service guys dented the rad ? It sounds like you think because you paid a lot that you should have everything covered by warranty even road rash dented rads..... maybe other brands allow this and maybe that is what people expect, I come from Porsche stuff which I have tuned quite a bit in the past and am used to paying for bits that break.
You have got rid of the car and away from the brand so hopefully you will find the level of quality and service you desire (y)
arguing and explaining to you does nothing for me so I’m done. Its just you appear as a one side mindset that you question the consumer and not question the consistency of problems with the manufacturers products. Ignorance is bliss. Keep defending them if you think it helps your resale they’ll be a lot more people who will say the same things as me. You can even find videos comparing how crap their after sales service is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
arguing and explaining to you does nothing for me so I’m done. Ignorance is bliss. Keep defending them if you think it helps your resale they’ll be a lot more people who will say the same things as me. You can even find videos comparing how crap their after sales service is.
It's a forum, we discuss things, you haven't explained your postion well enough for me to agree with it although I do sympathise that you have had problems, but we are all different with different expectations and needs......"You think it helps your resale" this maybe says more about you than me.... anyway peace ✌

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ok I'm going to be blunt and say you are an idiot. Please explain how aftermarket wheels or an exhaust has anything to do with key issues, body alignment issues, failed radiator (my car was bone stock at the time), dead drivers seat, etc. Jesus, do you work for McLaren or you are that stupid? Just like the techs there they claimed my car didn't start because I had a wireless charger in the car. I unplugged it and they tried to start it in front of me and it failed. McLaren just comes up with excuses for failed engineering designs. Go search this forum and you'll find plenty of similar problems.

Let me also point out that you even clearly are saying McLaren sucks. Buying used with 600 miles from a non servicing dealer is a reason for a authorized McLaren dealership to not warranty warranted failed items? I'm sorry you just pointed out how McLaren sucks. You would not have this issue with Lamborghini, Porsche or Rolls Royce for that matter. There is too many posts about negative McLaren after-sales service. I'm sorry they suck and many know this. If you want to own a brand with sub-standard after-sales service go right ahead and buy a McLaren. They won't improve if stupid people keep giving them excuses on why they shoudn't change. I'm only still on here because I'm wanting to sell what I have left for the McLaren 720s. Other than that I am glad I'm done with my McLaren experience and took a huge loss on resale value. Good luck with the brand to everyone else. Go ahead and call McLaren Houston and ask if my car was bone stock when I brought them the car with the issues. Zero modifications when I had all the major problems.
LOL's. I have a lot of credibility on these forums and more importantly outside of these forums with car enthusiasts. You had problems with your car before the mods....so you pump more money into the car by spending thousands of $$$$'s into modifications?

You still didn't detail what I asked. If you are going to keep going on and on with a certain narrative then give the entire picture.

MSRP:
How much you bought it for
Mileage on car
Mileage when sold
Who you bought it from
Who services your car
Who did the aftermarket work

Your complaint to NHTSA with specific details that we can all see
Your lawsuit against the dealer or mclaren

CARS BREAK DOWN. EVERY DEALER HAS A SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT DEALS WITH THESE ISSUES. NHTSA.GOV DETAILS RECALLS BY CAR/MANUFACTURE/COMPLAINTS, MANUFACTURE COMMUNICATIONS, ETC. IT IS USELESS TO CONTINUE POSTING THIS STUFF. YOU ARE ONLY MAKING YOURSELF OUT TO LOOK BAD. THERE IS 20 OWNERS OF 720S ON THESE FORUMS OF APPROXIMATELY 6000 CARS. MANY ARE MULTIPLE MCLAREN CAR OWNERS IN REAL LIFE. THEY KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE. YOUR POSTINGS DO NOTHING TO SWAY ANYONE'S OPINIONS OTHER THEN TO MILDLY IRRITATE PEOPLE.

I wouldn't even bother to say that I feel sorry to you because then I'd have to go find every owner of all types of cars that I see at mechanic shops and apologize to them because something happened to their car(s).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought my 570s from Mclaren Beverly Hills. About 3 months ago had the check engine light come on, nearest dealer to me is Mclaren Scottsdale (I live in Albuquerque, NM) so I called roadside and they shipped the car to Scottsdale the next day. Ralph as Mclaren Scottsdale found the check engine light was just for low oil level, but while it was there I figured id mention some little things on the car that were bugging me. Car was pulling to the right, rattle near drivers side intake, and a slight tear in the drivers side seat (carbon bucket seat, car was a demo before I bought it). Ralph did a full alignment on the car, filled up the car with oil, had the seat sent off to be repaired, fixed the rattle (turbo heat shield came loose) and had the car fully detailed with wax and everything. He would give me daily updates and send me videos and pictures of them working on the car. And he did everything free of charge.

My point behind this is, I did not buy the car from Mclaren Scottsdale, had never met Ralph once in person. And yet he still went above and beyond to fix the car even for things he didn't have too. He could have told me to get screwed on an alignment or fixing the tear in the drivers seat. But he had them fixed no problem and without any type of hassle. So from my experience, dealing with Mclaren after sales and service has been worry free! For all you Mclaren guys who have been given a hard time with repairs, sounds like you really pissed off your service manager somehow lol. Ralph even told me I could put on an exhaust, cat delete pipes, wheels, basically any bolt on part I want minus a tune, And he'd still warranty the car 100% no questions asked. So once again, all the guys saying small modifications they did to their car was the reason their warranty was denied, I think you guys don't know what you're talking about lol.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I wouldn't even bother to say that I feel sorry to you because then I'd have to go find every owner of all types of cars that I see at mechanic shops and apologize to them because something happened to their car(s).
Sometimes its not fully about the product.
The dealer gives him a hard time of what he believe was warranty work. Rubs the customer the wrong way despite He/she eventually paying for the fix.
Customer service is enough to drive a casual buyer away from the brand.

I agree buying outside your “home” dealer can take away good will gestures. But evening needing the idea of good will sort of sucks.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Wow you guys are relentless. Take it from a fervent defender of McLaren Automotive from the early days, you can shout down any owner who posts anything negative about the cars, company or its dealers, but you won't make an iota of difference in how the cars and company are perceived in the market. They are what they are and to pretend they don't have serious issues at the moment is asinine. Also, repeatedly using the excuse that "every exotic has issues" is totally lame. Since when is that the standard by which to measure success.

What you will accomplish, however, is create a toxic environment on this forum that fails to provide any useful support for new and prospective owners, which certainly cannot help your cause, whatever that may be.

Carry on!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Wow you guys are relentless. Take it from a fervent defender of McLaren Automotive from the early days, you can shout down any owner who posts anything negative about the cars, company or its dealers, but you won't make an iota of difference in how the cars and company are perceived in the market. They are what they are and to pretend they don't have serious issues at the moment is asinine. Also, repeatedly using the excuse that "every exotic has issues" is totally lame. Since when is that the standard by which to measure success.

What you will accomplish, however, is create a toxic environment on this forum that fails to provide any useful support for new and prospective owners, which certainly cannot help your cause, whatever that may be.

Carry on!
well the toxic environment in this forum or all other McLaren related groups comes in my opinion from a bunch of people who talk so negatively about the cars and highjack every discussion to turn it into a McLaren did this and that to me and the cars are shit bc of that discussion ...

Examples include but are not limited to the following topics:

• total exaggeration of McLaren cars burning down everywhere (total fiction when one knows about Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche cars) ...
  • depreciation issues
  • McLaren building too many models/variants (when Lambo, Porsche and Ferrari all made more in the same timeframe)
  • McLaren cars very unreliable, when most users don't have issues at all
  • McLaren only using one engine/concept when Porsche did that for 911 for decades ...
  • McLaren always building the same car ... well the all have 4 wheels and 2 seats ...
all these are brought up in every McLaren discussion frequently to a point which just pisses off so many ppl that they just quit using these forums ... its a pity especially thinking about some of the very knowledgeable international car collectors and race drivers we had here before. who are nearly all now more ore less gone bc they just don't want to waste their time with this ongoing shit ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bought my 570s from Mclaren Beverly Hills. About 3 months ago had the check engine light come on, nearest dealer to me is Mclaren Scottsdale (I live in Albuquerque, NM) so I called roadside and they shipped the car to Scottsdale the next day. Ralph as Mclaren Scottsdale found the check engine light was just for low oil level, but while it was there I figured id mention some little things on the car that were bugging me. Car was pulling to the right, rattle near drivers side intake, and a slight tear in the drivers side seat (carbon bucket seat, car was a demo before I bought it). Ralph did a full alignment on the car, filled up the car with oil, had the seat sent off to be repaired, fixed the rattle (turbo heat shield came loose) and had the car fully detailed with wax and everything. He would give me daily updates and send me videos and pictures of them working on the car. And he did everything free of charge.

My point behind this is, I did not buy the car from Mclaren Scottsdale, had never met Ralph once in person. And yet he still went above and beyond to fix the car even for things he didn't have too. He could have told me to get screwed on an alignment or fixing the tear in the drivers seat. But he had them fixed no problem and without any type of hassle. So from my experience, dealing with Mclaren after sales and service has been worry free! For all you Mclaren guys who have been given a hard time with repairs, sounds like you really pissed off your service manager somehow lol. Ralph even told me I could put on an exhaust, cat delete pipes, wheels, basically any bolt on part I want minus a tune, And he'd still warranty the car 100% no questions asked. So once again, all the guys saying small modifications they did to their car was the reason their warranty was denied, I think you guys don't know what you're talking about lol.

If my dealership experience was like that I would keep it. Good for you. But it’s also obvious the cars aren’t great quality form your post, mine and many others. It’s the after sales experience that makes you decide to keep the car or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well the toxic environment in this forum or all other McLaren related groups comes in my opinion from a bunch of people who talk so negatively about the cars and highjack every discussion to turn it into a McLaren did this and that to me and the cars are shit bc of that discussion ...

Examples include but are not limited to the following topics:

• total exaggeration of McLaren cars burning down everywhere (total fiction when one knows about Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche cars) ...
  • depreciation issues
  • McLaren building too many models/variants (when Lambo, Porsche and Ferrari all made more in the same timeframe)
  • McLaren cars very unreliable, when most users don't have issues at all
  • McLaren only using one engine/concept when Porsche did that for 911 for decades ...
  • McLaren always building the same car ... well the all have 4 wheels and 2 seats ...
all these are brought up in every McLaren discussion frequently to a point which just pisses off so many ppl that they just quit using these forums ... its a pity especially thinking about some of the very knowledgeable international car collectors and race drivers we had here before. who are nearly all now more ore less gone bc they just don't want to waste their time with this ongoing shit ...
maybe if these owners had a better experience they wouldn’t have to complain. Just saying. You won’t find me complaining about my Lamborghini Huracan or any Porsche I’ve owned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Btw my dealership tells me it’s McLaren that makes their job difficult. When I told them I’m getting rid of the car they even said they don’t blame me and it’s beyond their control when McLaren UK wants to be petty and point blames. Dealership in Houston ended up getting bought over by another corporation. You can look this up just happened. The dealership was failing why else would they get bought. Also they even got rid of the nice brand new store they bought. McLaren Houston is now inside the same dealership as Lamborghini and Rolls Royce. If McLaren is so good I can promise you their resale value will be sooo much better. It’s terrible resale for a reason. Owners are willing to lose money not to have to deal with the McLaren experience. So that’s a fact you can’t deny is the terrible resale.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
maybe if these owners had a better experience they wouldn’t have to complain. Just saying. You won’t find me complaining about my Lamborghini Huracan or any Porsche I’ve owned.
My father and me owned over 30 Porsche cars so far ... I will quiet certainly never buy a new one again ... but I don't create topics around Rennlist or any other Porsche forum and tell everyone why that is the chase, or why one can only personally come to this conclusion in my chase ... lets just say Porsche is not as good as many ppl think it is ... our historic cars which never saw a Porsche dealer for decades are another topic but certainly no new ones ...

there are others here who have had similar experiences with Ferrari ... whereas some other collectors/drivers here seem to have very positive experiences ... its all relative but NOT only at McLaren ...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Btw my dealership tells me it’s McLaren that makes their job difficult. When I told them I’m getting rid of the car they even said they don’t blame me and it’s beyond their control when McLaren UK wants to be petty and point blames. Dealership in Houston ended up getting bought over by another corporation. You can look this up just happened. The dealership was failing why else would they get bought. Also they even got rid of the nice brand new store they bought. McLaren Houston is now inside the same dealership as Lamborghini and Rolls Royce. If McLaren is so good I can promise you their resale value will be sooo much better. It’s terrible resale for a reason. Owners are willing to lose money not to have to deal with the McLaren experience. So that’s a fact you can’t deny is the terrible resale.

do you see anyone over on Fchat complain all the time about the resale values of their GTC4 Lusso's or at Porsche about their Panamera Turbo S ??? those lost more money than any 720s ... I don't see that there but here on McLaren Life this comes up every day 3-5 times ... that is how you talk down the values of cars, and nothing else ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also think Ferrari service is crap, got rid of my Ferrari as well. Maybe my standards are above average but to me it’s not normal to accept subpar quality or service on cars that cost nearly half a million dollars. Again I’ve got no issues with any Porsche I’ve owned or Lamborghini they always take care of their clients and maybe it has to do with them being from the same corporation VW. Anyways OP wanted an opinion about McLaren and I’m telling him the truth. He never asked for any fanbois to give excuse and defend McLaren.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts