McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
LOL these posts make me laugh. For every one person that complains, there are hundreds or thousands of other Mclarens out there that are running just fine and not having problems like the OP claims to have. Ive said this in another tread and ill say it again. If a new car is having problems, there is this little thing called warranty that will have your car fixed. If your car continues to break, there is another little thing called lemon law. It's not rocket science. Cars break no matter what brand you have, and if you can find a brand that doesn't break, let us all know please. New Mclarens do not break more than other exotics, end of story. Can someone please give the OP the number to a local Kia or Honda dealership that way he can have a "reliable" car and get him away from the Mclaren brand. I don't want someone complaining like that, spreading false reports that "all Mclarens are pieces of junk" representing the Mclaren brand.
Not to mention that with the 180 720s McLaren makes per month one could be sure a lot of ppl would complain here if the cars were really that bad ... strange thing is its only mostly ppl who never posted anything and suddenly start to be very vocal about the bad quality or also 1st time posters ... if the cars were really that bad there would probably be 20-30 ongoing topics about quality issues every months also by owners having driven them for longer and contributed here more than 1-2 times ... all the long term owners with several McLaren cars seem be more or less issue free besides the regular small electric bugs other stuffs one is used when owning an exotic ...

·
Registered
348 Posts
A warning for future customers waiting to receive their new 720s or enthusiasts thinking of placing an order. I received my new 720s end of Jan 2018 and as expected I could not contain my excitement. Unfortunately, the car was riddled with problems:
  • Almost all the body panels were misaligned and it took the dealer several attempts to get them as flush as possible with some resemblance of consistent panel gaps. The driver side door is still not flush as understandably the dealer does not have the same facilities as the manufacturer. Amazing as to how this would have passed quality control after all their hype about their strict quality checks and control procedures.
  • Constant computer software issues that have had me going back to the dealer regularly since taking possession of my vehicle. The most dangerous was when the car simply lost power and did not accelerate even though the engine was revving. This experience was most unnerving, especially when other vehicles were approaching at high speed behind me. Another time my instrument panel went blank. Constant display of warning messages about all sorts of system failure is a regular occurrence.
  • The most recent problem occurred two weeks ago with the vehicle suspension and nose lift mechanism failed and I was not able to clear the warning by locking/unlocking and restarting my car.
This was the straw that broke the camels back. I have had the dealer tow my car from my home and I have requested never to see my car again. I am seeking a full refund from McLaren as this vehicle is not fit to be driven nor is it safe to be sold to a consumer.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had, hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

As to the issue you state with lost power. I hope someone hasn't already chimed in and I'm not being redundant.

There is a governor function on one of the steering column stalks, I don't know which one because I've never hit it, but you will find posts on here where owners have and experienced the loss of power you describe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues you've had, hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

As to the issue you state with lost power. I hope someone hasn't already chimed in and I'm not being redundant.

There is a governor function on one of the steering column stalks, I don't know which one because I've never hit it, but you will find posts on here where owners have and experienced the loss of power you describe.
There is a governor function on the 720s? I do not think so, but would love to know more if there is.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If there were issues with panel gaps upon delivery then why take it until they have it resolved to your satisfaction or buy another one. My 2018 had a slight alignment issue on the drivers side but they corrected it before I took delivery.

I will also say from experience with cars and electronics, problems usually occur in the first few months or sooner. That is the time to determine if it can be repaired and whether or not you want to deal with it and/or lemon it. Do not procrastinate or dream the problem will be resolved after a year. If the mnfr is willing to send the car out without proper QA then F them and let them eat the cost. Not your problem. This goes for any mnfr,

·
Banned
97 Posts
I own a McLaren 720s and can agree the car has issues. Most owners have the key not detected problem, several owners report that their drivers seat module has died (preventing the ability to adjust the seats or turn on heated seats), many owners reported coolant leaks (varying from broken hose clips or defective radiators), body alignments issues seems to be on all cars, suspension failures is something I hear a lot about as well, etc. McLaren builds beautiful looking cars that perform better than all else in their price point when they are working. I think McLaren as a brand now that I have experienced them is not great. They treat you like a cheap car owner, they blame things that cause these failures when in fact its their problems. They always have an excuse as to why the key not detected is happening, when in fact its a major problem with all McLarens since the MP4-12C. I know there are going to be people who pretend McLaren is perfect because they are ok leaving with sub-standard cars. I also own a Lamborghini Huracan and I am keeping that as it has been stress free ownership compared to the 720s. Though it is a lot slower I prefer living without anxiety and stress. Most exotics definitely aren't perfect, however I think McLaren is by far the worst exotic car I have owned in terms of after-sales service. I wish I could love the brand more, but every time I bring the car in for some failure I am dealt with a very petty McLaren experience. Some people can live with dealing with issues, not me. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I own a McLaren 720s and can agree the car has issues. Most owners have the key not detected problem, several owners report that their drivers seat module has died (preventing the ability to adjust the seats or turn on heated seats), many owners reported coolant leaks (varying from broken hose clips or defective radiators), body alignments issues seems to be on all cars, suspension failures is something I hear a lot about as well, etc. McLaren builds beautiful looking cars that perform better than all else in their price point when they are working. I think McLaren as a brand now that I have experienced them is not great. They treat you like a cheap car owner, they blame things that cause these failures when in fact its their problems. They always have an excuse as to why the key not detected is happening, when in fact its a major problem with all McLarens since the MP4-12C. I know there are going to be people who pretend McLaren is perfect because they are ok leaving with sub-standard cars. I also own a Lamborghini Huracan and I am keeping that as it has been stress free ownership compared to the 720s. Though it is a lot slower I prefer living without anxiety and stress. Most exotics definitely aren't perfect, however I think McLaren is by far the worst exotic car I have owned in terms of after-sales service. I wish I could love the brand more, but every time I bring the car in for some failure I am dealt with a very petty McLaren experience. Some people can live with dealing with issues, not me. Good luck to you.
It's a shame you've had this experience. Hopefully all these issues get sorted

·
Registered
788 Posts
Which one of these things were your problems?

key not detecting is a useless topic and user error. seat module won't move if battery is low on the car (car goes into a low battery mode) and picks up after the car has been running for a few minutes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
On page 2.45 of the manual is states there is an active speed limiter. Is that the "governor" you are speaking of?
Manual
People mistakenly activate the speed limiter when they are trying to activate the lift to lower the car after they drive off. Everyone would have probably did this a few times in their car ownership.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
On ‘key not detected’ (only happened to me twice) a press of the key fob button transmits to the car and the key is then detected.

·
Registered
788 Posts
He had a modded car?

No pretence here. I've had no issues on mine since new - 19 months now.
Yeap . Besides the visual test of his car then just go back through his old postings .

it’s a recurring theme . Difficulties with ppl who mod their car , use it fir business purposes , buying used from non servicing dealer or not buying from servicing dealer . You’ll be on the wrong side of goodwill decisions.

·
Banned
97 Posts
First of all the first fault from McLaren when my car was bone stock was a failed radiator. McLaren didn't stand behind their product. That seriously blamed an invisible rock they claimed damaged the radiator. They could not provide proof, they denied warranty and argued with me for two months until I gave in and just paid for it. I was tired of having my car sit at the dealer apart and the battery draining. I promised myself if they give me additional issues or problems that I would dump the car and I did just that. That has nothing to do with any mods as the car was bone stock. The key not detected issue is a problem with most all McLaren models and again has zero to do with mods. I also had a rear wing failure where it did not activate, again my car was bone stock. Most recently my driver seat died, how does any mods have anything to do with that? Some of you guys react like you are working for McLaren. lol This is hilarious.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Yeap . Besides the visual test of his car then just go back through his old postings .

it’s a recurring theme . Difficulties with ppl who mod their car , use it fir business purposes , buying used from non servicing dealer or not buying from servicing dealer . You’ll be on the wrong side of goodwill decisions.
Ok I'm going to be blunt and say you are an idiot. Please explain how aftermarket wheels or an exhaust has anything to do with key issues, body alignment issues, failed radiator (my car was bone stock at the time), dead drivers seat, etc. Jesus, do you work for McLaren or you are that stupid? Just like the techs there they claimed my car didn't start because I had a wireless charger in the car. I unplugged it and they tried to start it in front of me and it failed. McLaren just comes up with excuses for failed engineering designs. Go search this forum and you'll find plenty of similar problems.

Let me also point out that you even clearly are saying McLaren sucks. Buying used with 600 miles from a non servicing dealer is a reason for a authorized McLaren dealership to not warranty warranted failed items? I'm sorry you just pointed out how McLaren sucks. You would not have this issue with Lamborghini, Porsche or Rolls Royce for that matter. There is too many posts about negative McLaren after-sales service. I'm sorry they suck and many know this. If you want to own a brand with sub-standard after-sales service go right ahead and buy a McLaren. They won't improve if stupid people keep giving them excuses on why they shoudn't change. I'm only still on here because I'm wanting to sell what I have left for the McLaren 720s. Other than that I am glad I'm done with my McLaren experience and took a huge loss on resale value. Good luck with the brand to everyone else. Go ahead and call McLaren Houston and ask if my car was bone stock when I brought them the car with the issues. Zero modifications when I had all the major problems.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you want to own a brand with sub-standard after-sales service go right ahead and buy a McLaren. They won't improve if stupid people keep giving them excuses on why they shoudn't change.
Not my experience at all, the service dept is super helpful and proactive, a pleasure to deal with.

I suspect your attitude may be contributory to the way you have been treated. Two months arguing about a damaged radiator with you unable to drive your car, doesn't sound like you are really into driving this car more concerned about winning your little battles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
it’s crazy to me that people attack someone who would spend tremendous money on a car and expect it to just work properly. God forbid someone buys something costing $350k and that thing be an enjoyable ownership experience. I keep finding myself right on the edge of buying a Mclaren mostly because the 720S is still a hypercar for supercar money. However, what holds me back is that if I do have issues and I come here for help half the members are seemingly duty bound to call THE OWNER out for Mclaren’s issues and Mclaren themselves seem far too hit or miss when it comes to fixing their mistakes.

21 - 40 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.