McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A warning for future customers waiting to receive their new 720s or enthusiasts thinking of placing an order. I received my new 720s end of Jan 2018 and as expected I could not contain my excitement. Unfortunately, the car was riddled with problems:
  • Almost all the body panels were misaligned and it took the dealer several attempts to get them as flush as possible with some resemblance of consistent panel gaps. The driver side door is still not flush as understandably the dealer does not have the same facilities as the manufacturer. Amazing as to how this would have passed quality control after all their hype about their strict quality checks and control procedures.
  • Constant computer software issues that have had me going back to the dealer regularly since taking possession of my vehicle. The most dangerous was when the car simply lost power and did not accelerate even though the engine was revving. This experience was most unnerving, especially when other vehicles were approaching at high speed behind me. Another time my instrument panel went blank. Constant display of warning messages about all sorts of system failure is a regular occurrence.
  • The most recent problem occurred two weeks ago with the vehicle suspension and nose lift mechanism failed and I was not able to clear the warning by locking/unlocking and restarting my car.
This was the straw that broke the camels back. I have had the dealer tow my car from my home and I have requested never to see my car again. I am seeking a full refund from McLaren as this vehicle is not fit to be driven nor is it safe to be sold to a consumer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
McLarens are weird in that they give many people no problems, but it’s like HQ is dead set on 1 out of every 10 cars just being a monumental reliability failure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully you can get your money back, or resolve to your satisfaction. As stated above, some of us have had no issues (on 2018 or 2019 cars) some have had several issues of varying degree.

I will say this, I had many issues with the new Ferrari f12 I had, nothing that left me stranded, but several issues that make you scratch your head on quality or the company backing you and making it right - so it is not just one marquee that has these problems.

It is interesting how my perspective has changed in the last 25 years of exotic ownership. The ferrari's and Lambo's I bought in the 90's and early 2000's had issues (probably more), but the cost being less to fix and the company's willingness to help make it right seemed ok, and pretty normal. As the cars got more expensive and more complicated 2010 and beyond, it seems a lot more aggravation, and also mine and other buyers tolerance for these types of issues due to cost of the vehicles, time to repair, hassle getting it fixed, manufacture not standing behind the consumer - all seems different.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
McLarens are weird in that they give many people no problems, but it’s like HQ is dead set on 1 out of every 10 cars just being a monumental reliability failure.
That's not "weird". It's literally the definition of quality control (or lack, thereof) in manufacturing. Without it, you roll the dice every time a unit comes off the line.

·
Registered
83 Posts
MAC, will have to at some point in time hire a Chief Customer Service Officer to over see service recovery how to make things right with customers. I hear some are better than others, and the key is a good dealership to fight for you. Second, it’s great to pride yourself on hand-built cars, and great when you were Henry Ford and bar talk my car is hand made. Engineering and robotics will clean up quality control, and they make wonderful cars and need to transform their reputation.

I tested the brand buying a 675LT which has been great and depreciated so no risk for me on a new car giving me grief. I see some of the issues with the 720’s is not the car but the high production rates. They’ve produced more 720’s in one year than Porsche GT cars in 2 years I believe with Porsche being a much bigger producer. High production with poor quality processes will lead to a hit or miss car, and can’t be accepted when busting a check for 300k plus. Growing pains for a company that’s been making road cars only since 2012, but that has to turn quickly. The high production drives cash flow for the division, but they do need to slow down production to stabilize quality and depreciation. Hope they fix because I love their cars. Below is Porsche GT car sales since 2014:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
MAC, will have to at some point in time hire a Chief Customer Service Officer to over see service recovery how to make things right with customers. I hear some are better than others, and the key is a good dealership to fight for you. Second, it’s great to pride yourself on hand-built cars, and great when you were Henry Ford and bar talk my car is hand made. Engineering and robotics will clean up quality control, and they make wonderful cars and need to transform their reputation.

I tested the brand buying a 675LT which has been great and depreciated so no risk for me on a new car giving me grief. I see some of the issues with the 720’s is not the car but the high production rates. They’ve produced more 720’s in one year than Porsche GT cars in 2 years I believe with Porsche being a much bigger producer. High production with poor quality processes will lead to a hit or miss car, and can’t be accepted when busting a check for 300k plus. Growing pains for a company that’s been making road cars only since 2012, but that has to turn quickly. The high production drives cash flow for the division, but they do need to slow down production to stabilize quality and depreciation. Hope they fix because I love their cars. Below is Porsche GT car sales since 2014:

View attachment 198527

McLaren has produced about 5450 720s so far starting from March 2017 (so its currently 2 months shy of 3 full years) ... or less than 1800 cars per 12 months each year ... what you say is therefor not true.

Also your Porsche numbers, I don't know where you got them, are off for 2016 GT3RS and 14-16 GT3 ... there were much more GT3rs per a person at Porsche which I know (at least 7500) and way fewer GT3s - in fact the 991.1 GT3 is way less common than its 991.1 GT3rs sibling as per the same person from Porsche HQ in Germany.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks could be off on the 720’s thx you for sure. The Porsche numbers are spot on as they’re all the VIN’s produced. GT3’s historically have always outpaced the RS that I know for a fact. Also I was only factoring in the 2019 RS numbers for as the 720’s were produced in 2017 to current. Next RS possibly 2023, my point here Porsche holds production to hold values and demand.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks could be off on the 720’s thx you for sure. The Porsche numbers are spot on as they’re all the VIN’s produced. GT3’s historically have always outpaced the RS that I know for a fact.

well as I said: The number I was told is from Porsche HQ (one of their board members, but of course nothing official) so I have my doubts about any other numbers out there and this also is in line with the number of 2016 GT3rs vs GT3 you see on the streets ... at least here they are about 3-4 times more common ... I can nearly not recall seeing a regular GT3 but a GT3rs I see parked in Munich somewhere nearly every week

·
Registered
83 Posts
well as I said: The number I was told is from Porsche HQ (one of their board members, but of course nothing official) so I have my doubts about any other numbers out there and this also is in line with the number of 2016 GT3rs vs GT3 you see on the streets ... at least here they are about 3-4 times more common ... I can nearly not recall seeing a regular GT3 but a GT3rs I see parked in Munich somewhere nearly every week
I hear you, tell him he’s wrong I will leave it at that :) .............the numbers you see are all the VIN’s produced and 2019 numbers exceeded 2016.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There’s risk buying new technology that MAC offers, but 7 years in the business I will bet they will figure it out. Not long ago Ferrari was the horror story, and they added 7 year MTC program which MAC should do just to build confidence. Have to admit their cars are freaking fun to drive. Hope you get you ]r problems fixed, but man 2 years to vent is awhile.

·
Registered
566 Posts
People who complain/inform others on car forums are a bunch of jokers. People should just follow the process and if there is merit to their complaints then it gets acted upon. Other then that it is just banter, unfounded and other agendas. Hell, if I could complain after two years and try to lemon a car or create an environment to lemon a car and able to drive the car for free for two years then I'd probably do it too...... On second thought I wouldn't.

01Complaints

Reporting your problem is the important first step.
Your complaint will be added to a public NHTSA database after personally identifying information is removed.
If the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation.
Example of Complaints

Have a safety problem?
Report a problem with your vehicle, tires, car seats or other equipment. We review every problem as we work to keep our roads safe.
Report a safety problem
02Investigations

NHTSA conducts an investigation from reported complaints.
A. SCREENING
NHTSA reviews filed complaints from vehicle owners and other information related to alleged defects to decide whether to open an investigation.
B. ANALYSIS
NHTSA conducts an analysis of any petitions calling for defect investigations. If the petition is denied, the reasons for the denial are published in the Federal Register.
C. INVESTIGATION
NHTSA opens an investigation of alleged safety defects. It is closed when they notify the manufacturer of recall recommendations or they don’t identify a safety-related defect.
D. RECALL MANAGEMENT
NHTSA reviews filed complaints from vehicle owners and other information related to alleged defects to decide whether to open an investigation.
View monthly investigation reports
03Recalls

Initiated safety recalls require a manufacturer's action to announce and remedy the defects.
A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards. Most decisions to conduct a recall and remedy a safety defect are made voluntarily by manufacturers prior to any involvement by NHTSA.
Manufacturers are required to fix the problem by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund, or in rare cases repurchasing the vehicle. View the 2018 Recall Report.
Using our VIN lookup tool, you can access recall information provided by the manufacturer conducting the recall which may be not posted yet on NHTSA’s site.
Go to search by VIN

01Complaints

Reporting your problem is the important first step.
Your complaint will be added to a public NHTSA database after personally identifying information is removed.
If the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation.
Example of Complaints

Have a safety problem?
Report a problem with your vehicle, tires, car seats or other equipment. We review every problem as we work to keep our roads safe.
Report a safety problem
02Investigations

NHTSA conducts an investigation from reported complaints.
A. SCREENING
B. ANALYSIS
NHTSA conducts an analysis of any petitions calling for defect investigations. If the petition is denied, the reasons for the denial are published in the Federal Register.
C. INVESTIGATION
NHTSA opens an investigation of alleged safety defects. It is closed when they notify the manufacturer of recall recommendations or they don’t identify a safety-related defect.
D. RECALL MANAGEMENT
View monthly investigation reports
03Recalls

Initiated safety recalls require a manufacturer's action to announce and remedy the defects.
A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards. Most decisions to conduct a recall and remedy a safety defect are made voluntarily by manufacturers prior to any involvement by NHTSA.
Manufacturers are required to fix the problem by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund, or in rare cases repurchasing the vehicle. View the 2018 Recall Report.
Using our VIN lookup tool, you can access recall information provided by the manufacturer conducting the recall which may be not posted yet on NHTSA’s site.
Go to search by VIN

---------------------------------------

I have a good friend who lemoned a 488 and Ferrari fought him tooth and nail even though they were going to lose 100%. He even wrote a complaint to NHTSA.gov which is the way one should go about doing things as that is an actionable item.... Not this bullshit complaining things on car forums.

NHTSA ID Number: 11112925

Incident Date May 25, 2017

Consumer Location SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Vehicle Identification Number ZFF79ALA8H0****

Summary of Complaint

2 Complaintsfor 2017 FERRARI 488 GTB
FILTER COMPLAINTS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS
All (2)AIR BAGS (1)SERVICE BRAKES (1)
November 15, 2019 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11280294
Components: AIR BAGS

NHTSA ID Number: 11280294
Incident Date April 8, 2019
Consumer Location FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR WE RECEIVED NOTICE OF AN AIRBAG RECALL. THE NOTICED MENTIONS PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. WE TRIED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH OUR DEALER BUT THEY MENTIONED THE PARTS WERE NOT AVAILABLE. WE HAVE FOLLOWED UP WITH THE DEALER SEVERAL TIMES TO NO AVAIL. WE CONTACT FERRARI USA CUSTOMER SERVICE AN THEY ONLY MENTIONED THEY WOULD LOOK INTO THE SITUATION BUT NO FURTHER INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE. I BELIEVE THIS IS VERY POOR AS IT A SAFETY CONCERN THAT IS NOT BEING GIVEN ANY REAL PRIORITY. THE MANUFACTURE CONTINUES TO LAUNCH CARS THIS YEAR YET OUR PASSENGERS ARE NOT SAFE. THIS DEPARTMENT IS OUR LAST CHANCE AT TRYING TO KEEP OUR PASSENGERS SAFE IN A MOTOR VEHICLE THAT HAS A KNOWN DEFECT.

July 22, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11112925
Components: SERVICE BRAKES

NHTSA ID Number: 11112925
Incident Date May 25, 2017
Consumer Location SAN FRANCISCO, CA
THE BRAKING SYSTEM HAS LOCKED THE BRAKES BY ITSELF WITHOUT ANY USER INPUT OR PRESSING OF THE BRAKE PEDAL. THIS HAS OCCURRED 3X, THE FIRST 2 WHILE THE CAR WAS MOVING, THE LAST WHILE IT WAS PARKED IN A GARAGE, THE 1ST AND 3RD TIMES RENDERED THE CAR IMMOVABLE, THE 2ND WAS MOVABLE AFTER A RESTART. TWICE THE CAR NEEDED TO BE TOWED TO THE DEALER, WHO HAS BEEN UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM THUS UNABLE TO FIX IT. THE 3X HAVE OCCURRED IN ~3K MILES, THE 1ST AT ~1850 MILES. THE FIRST REPAIR ATTEMPT INVOLVED REPLACING THE BRAKING SYSTEM ECU AND A BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH, PERFORMED AS A "SHOTGUN" APPROACH SINCE NO CAUSE COULD BE DETERMINED. THE 2ND AND 3RD ATTEMPTS INVOLVED FERRARI WASHING THEIR HANDS OF THE PROBLEM. I FILED TO LEMON LAW THE CAR, AND FERRARI MAINTAINS THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT AFTER THE FIRST "FIX", WHICH IS CLEARLY ABSURD DUE TO THE 2ND AND 3RD OCCURRENCES. ASKING ONLINE IN A FERRARI FORUM PRODUCED ONLY ONE PERSON SAYING THE SAME PROBLEM OCCURRED IN THEIR CLOSE-TO-IDENTICAL FERRARI CAR , WHICH PRESUMABLY SHARES A VERY SIMILAR IF NOT IDENTICAL BRAKING SYSTEM. THE CAR HAS AN UNUSUAL "HILL-HOLDER" FEATURE WHICH ENGAGES EVEN WHILE ON FLAT GROUND, AND IT IS THIS WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE MALFUNCTIONING. THE INABILITY TO MOVE A CAR THAT HAS SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING LOCKED ITS BRAKES AND BROUGHT THE CAR TO A STOP IS NOT ONLY FRIGHTENING, BUT IS POTENTIALLY LETHAL.

----------------------------------

Mclaren

3 Complaintsfor 2014 MCLAREN MP4-12C SPIDER
FILTER COMPLAINTS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS
All (3)EXTERIOR LIGHTING (3)
May 23, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11097573
Components: EXTERIOR LIGHTING

NHTSA ID Number: 11097573
Incident Date May 13, 2017
Consumer Location PORT WASHINGTON, NY
Vehicle Identification Number SBM11BAA6EW****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
ORIGINAL HEADLIGHTS DEVELOPED OPAQUE SPOTTING ON THE INTERIOR OF THE CLEAR HOUSING, WHICH IF LEFT UNCHECKED WOULD HAVE COMPROMISED THE LIGHT OUTPUT AND NIGHTTIME VISIBILITY. BOTH HEADLIGHTS WERE EVENTUALLY REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. ONE OF THE REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHTS HAD A DEFECT IN THE OUTER LAMINATION WHICH WAS PEALING AS SOON AS IT WAS INSTALLED. BOTH INTERIOR SPOTTING/ MOLD FORMATION AND EXTERIOR DELAMINATION IS A KNOWN COMMON PROBLEM WITH MCLAREN 12C HEADLIGHTS. REPLACMENT HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT IMPROVED FROM THE ORIGINALS AND ARE PRONE TO EVENTUALLY DEVELOP SPOTTING AND OR DELAMINATION. RECENTLY MCLAREN HAS BEEN REFUSING TO REPLACE HEADLIGHTS EVEN UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY, WHICH CAN LEAD TO A SAFETY HAZARD DUE TO COMPROMISED LIGHT OUTPUT.
1 Affected Product
Request Research (Services fees apply)
May 23, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11097572

NHTSA ID Number: 11097572
Incident Date January 1, 2018
Consumer Location CORAL SPRINGS, FL
Vehicle Identification Number N/A
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
THE HEADLIGHT LENSES ON BOTH SIDES ARE GROWING A MOLD AND FOGGING. THE FOGGING IS GRADUALLY WORSENING, AND, AT SOME POINT, WILL COMPROMISE THE LIGHT EMITTED AND RESULT IN GLARE. IT IS A WELL-KNOWN ISSUE IN THESE CARS, AND SHOULD BE ADDRESSED UNDER WARRANTY, BUT MCLAREN REFUSES TO REPLACE THE LENSES FOR ANYONE WHO HAS TRIED TO GET THIS DONE BY THEIR DEALERS, MYSELF INCLUDED. IT IS CLEAR THAT THIS IS IN VIOLATION OF YOUR REGULATIONS S5.1.2 (B) AND (C): HTTPS://WWW.GPO.GOV/FDSYS/PKG/CFR-2004-TITLE49-VOL5/XML/CFR-2004-TITLE49-VOL5-SEC571-108.XML IT IS ESTIMATED THAT, OF THE 3400 MP4-12C CARS IN THE US ALONE, ABOUT 40% OF THEM HAVE THE PROBLEM. I CAN NOT VOUCH FOR THIS NUMBER, BUT ON A MCLAREN FORUM, THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN NOTED BY MANY OWNERS AND THEIR DEALERSHIPS WERE UNABLE TO GET MCLAREN TO AUTHORIZE REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR. IT IS ALSO NOTED THAT KOENIGSEGG CARS HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM, AND THAT NHTSA DID TAKE ACTION. PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED, BUT IT IS DIFFICULT TO SHOW HOW BAD IT REALLY IS WITH THE PHOTOS. APPROXIMATELY 30% OF THE LENS SURFACE IS INVOLVED ON THE RIGHT, AND 20% ON THE LEFT SIDE, AND IT IS PROGRESSING. THE HEADLIGHT DESIGN FAILED TO MEET THE STANDARD THAT IT WOULD NOT HAVE SUCH ISSUES WHEN EXPOSED TO THE ENVIRONMENT. MY CAR HAS HAD NO ACCIDENTS OR ANY SPECIFIC INJURY TO THE HEADLIGHTS.
1 Affected Product
March 26, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11081352

NHTSA ID Number: 11081352
Incident Date September 5, 2016
Consumer Location ARLINGTON, VA
Vehicle Identification Number SBM11BAA8EW****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
THE INTERIOR OF THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY ON BOTH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDES IS BEING OVERTAKEN WITH MOLD AND THE EXTERIOR IS PEELING/DEGRADING. THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE AFFECTING THIS MODEL THAT USED TO BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY BUT HAS NOT BEEN COVERED IN THE LAST YEAR OR TWO. THE MOLD AND EXTERIOR PEELING ARE GETTING THE THE POINT OF ENCROACHING UPON THE LIGHT BEAM ITSELF AND IF THE RATE OF MOLD GROWTH CONTINUES, WILL CERTAINLY GET TO THE POINT OF TOTAL BLOCKAGE.
1 Affected Product

·
Owner
308 Posts
That's crazy that it took two years for you to have had enough - you have a lot more patience than most. If you just now sent it back, after having had the car for two years, I find it very unlikely that you will get a full refund. Different countries/states have different rules about getting a car lemoned. I bought my 720s used and haven't had any issues - only a couple of goofy "suspension control disabled" when it got really cold, which goes away after a several minutes of driving, and two windshields cracked. I have only had my car for 8 months though.

You are not the first one to report these issues as several others have had complaints with quality - I cant imagine buying a brand new $350-400k vehicle and have these annoyances. I also can't imagine myself living with these for 2 years though - I am impatient and these things would drive me through the wall.

I have only returned one car out of 111 that I have owned and it was a 2011 Nissan GT-R. I kept the car for 3 months and it had some weird rattle (not just a little rattle, but a rattle that made the car seem like it was going to fall apart) coming from the rear brakes. Both, the dealer and Nissan, tried really hard, even sending a special mechanic from their HQs to address the situation. I have them 3 tries and each time, they spent several days trying to resolve it.

They could not and they graciously offered 100% of my money back. They also offered to give me 2 full services and oil changes for life should I decide to keep the car, but, knowing myself, this would have been something that would have ended up driving me bonkers, so I accepted the first offer and we parted ways.

McLaren needs to step it up in the quality control and customer service assurance; there is no doubt about that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
People who complain/inform others on car forums are a bunch of jokers.
Surely you don't mean this how it reads ?

This forum is extremely informative, it is international so we get a great cross section of experiences in different countries eg the windscreen cracking issue, I have had two cracking and it is super helpful to know that many others have had the exact same issue, there are so few Mclarens in individual countries so we need this forum for the valuable info it gives especially on the various issues which come up.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Surely you don't mean this how it reads ?

This forum is extremely informative, it is international so we get a great cross section of experiences in different countries eg the windscreen cracking issue, I have had two cracking and it is super helpful to know that many others have had the exact same issue, there are so few Mclarens in individual countries so we need this forum for the valuable info it gives especially on the various issues which come up.
think he means a certain kind of posts about the complaining and telling everyone how bad manufacturer XX is and how bad the car/service is ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
LOL these posts make me laugh. For every one person that complains, there are hundreds or thousands of other Mclarens out there that are running just fine and not having problems like the OP claims to have. Ive said this in another tread and ill say it again. If a new car is having problems, there is this little thing called warranty that will have your car fixed. If your car continues to break, there is another little thing called lemon law. It's not rocket science. Cars break no matter what brand you have, and if you can find a brand that doesn't break, let us all know please. New Mclarens do not break more than other exotics, end of story. Can someone please give the OP the number to a local Kia or Honda dealership that way he can have a "reliable" car and get him away from the Mclaren brand. I don't want someone complaining like that, spreading false reports that "all Mclarens are pieces of junk" representing the Mclaren brand.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts