McLaren Life banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's illegal in the UK to suggest that anything might be better than 911 steering feel.
I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd :)

The view here is generally that Porsche 911 are great cars, and great too as daily transport. Also that they are the best overall sports cars that you can buy.

I agree with all of that.

It's also the view that Lotus (pre PAS) have the best steering. And Porsche steering went to shit when they introduced EPAS. Currently, best steering is probably jointly Lotus and McLaren. With 765/675 at the peak (ignoring McLaren Ultimate series, as I've not driven Elva so can't compare).

But 911 the best? Not even close :) And they are sports cars, not supercars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 675lt Spider and a 992 touring in manual (had Speedster, 3rs etc before).

The 675lt spider is so special. The lack of reliability is considerable versus Porsche. In the first 12 months I owned it (used with 2500 miles) I had to truck my 675 to the dealer to get accumulators replaced and thermostats. A speaker is also blown. Porsche GT cars are pretty bullet proof.

The NA engine and manual gearbox in the Porsche is pretty epic.

The new 3rs looses a significant amount of practicality with no trunk, bucket seats and a roll cage making the rear area hard to access. Suspension is likely very stiff also.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd :)

The view here is generally that Porsche 911 are great cars, and great too as daily transport. Also that they are the best overall sports cars that you can buy.

I agree with all of that.

It's also the view that Lotus (pre PAS) have the best steering. And Porsche steering went to shit when they introduced EPAS. Currently, best steering is probably jointly Lotus and McLaren. With 765/675 at the peak (ignoring McLaren Ultimate series, as I've not driven Elva so can't compare).

But 911 the best? Not even close :) And they are sports cars, not supercars.
Heretic! 😂

61 - 63 of 63 Posts