McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I’m not sure I’d describe the original Widow Maker as “safe”. The 911 in its natural state with esc off is pretty wild
I will say if you turn off the TC on the 675LT, it can kill you faster than the Porsche due to the high power output. The exception I would say the 997 GT2RS is for real a Porsche widow maker. My buddy races a Porsche GT3R, and in his younger days he said that was the one car he thought would kill him the 2RS ….he sold it. I’ve never been afraid in the RS st any speed because of the lack of torque/500 hp is the right amount of track power. 675LT closer to 700HP and gobs of torque 100 to 140 comes up real fast, and the turn in with too much speed the understeer will not produce a good outcome. Porsche is easier to save if you do something stupid. Just my 2 cents, and the 675LT actually made me a better RS driver vs 675LT a few oh sh*t moments. Be careful out there guys ……I just tool around in the speedster best manual around with a sweet engine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’ve had both and find it very difficult to believe someone could like the RS better than the 675LT spider if they actually drove them for an extended period unless perhaps they are using them for dual street track duty. The RS is a horribly compromised road car. The LT spider on a nice day with the top down is driving nirvana. Oh and it doesn’t at all feel overpowered to me. I would never chose to drive my RS over my 675 so I sold the RS. My 720s on the other hand has base Pzeros and I can see how that car can easily get away from someone

·
Registered
456 Posts
So what happens when you get into an oversteer situation in the GT3? This is what caused the moniker in older 911s. Heaven forbid you lift the throttle in that situation.
Remember the 991’s and 992’s the engine is actually a little more forward with a better center of gravity, and assisted by rear wheel steering vs the older cars. Don’t forget the huge tires, and close to understeer the rear will start to come around and get you back in position my experience. Understeer the LT you’re probably going way too fast, and with the smaller tires good luck at high speed. My old Mclaren mechanic said one warning never turn off TC because you may regret it.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Remember the 991’s and 992’s the engine is actually a little more forward with a better center of gravity, and assisted by rear wheel steering vs the older cars. Don’t forget the huge tires, and close to understeer the rear will start to come around and get you back in position my experience. Understeer the LT you’re probably going way too fast, and with the smaller tires good luck at high speed. My old Mclaren mechanic said one warning never turn off TC because you may regret it.
I've yet to try with TC completely off, but understeer or oversteer were both more manageable in my 570 than any 911 I've ever driven. I gave up on 911s a long time ago though, so I haven't driven any of the later models.

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,053 Posts
I will say if you turn off the TC on the 675LT, it can kill you faster than the Porsche due to the high power output. The exception I would say the 997 GT2RS is for real a Porsche widow maker. My buddy races a Porsche GT3R, and in his younger days he said that was the one car he thought would kill him the 2RS ….he sold it. I’ve never been afraid in the RS st any speed because of the lack of torque/500 hp is the right amount of track power. 675LT closer to 700HP and gobs of torque 100 to 140 comes up real fast, and the turn in with too much speed the understeer will not produce a good outcome. Porsche is easier to save if you do something stupid. Just my 2 cents, and the 675LT actually made me a better RS driver vs 675LT a few oh sh*t moments. Be careful out there guys ……I just tool around in the speedster best manual around with a sweet engine.
Might you have to qualify "easier to save". My bet is at the same speeds the 675LT will do better. But the 675LT lets you go at more insane speeds for its higher limits, and there, there be dragons.

TLDR, 675 has higher limits, and at those higher limits it's more difficult to save, but at the limits of the RS, it might be easier to get by with the 675?

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,053 Posts
It's a criticism I've seen a fair amount of, and starting to wonder if it doesn't deserve it's own topic. Does McLaren 'under-tire' its cars? Both in terms of sizes and quality of standard brands/composites?

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's a criticism I've seen a fair amount of, and starting to wonder if it doesn't deserve it's own topic. Does McLaren 'under-tire' its cars? Both in terms of sizes and quality of standard brands/composites?
‘I’m sure there’s a reason, and it’s my driver opinion I can feel the lack of tire can makes me feel uncomfortable at high turn-in speed vs the RS. Also to Zombie’s point the 675 you will push more speed because the car has more power capabilities. However, same speed in both cars I can do more in the RS because of the overall grip. Sorry to venture into more technical talk, but end the end the 675 is a more for car to drive all around.

·
2012 MP4-12C
10,053 Posts
‘I’m sure there’s a reason, and it’s my driver opinion I can feel the lack of tire can makes me feel uncomfortable at high turn-in speed vs the RS. Also to Zombie’s point the 675 you will push more speed because the car has more power capabilities. However, same speed in both cars I can do more in the RS because of the overall grip. Sorry to venture into more technical talk, but end the end the 675 is a more for car to drive all around.
One thing to note, on here, we've had it happen more than one time, where an owner of both a Porsche and a macca swears that their Porsche is faster by feel of their 'butt dyno', and then goes out and objectively measures the cars with on car tracking/timing devices, and has been very surprised that the macca is measurably faster.

May not be the circumstance in your case, but again, this has happened more than once here. That said, I would think in your RS youre at the track enough to objectively measure this, and assuming like-for-like tires (or at least the same models if not sizes), and it has panned out as such.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently own both... well a 992 GT3 and a 675lt. They are different cars and I think the major difference for me is the track vs mountain driving experience. On track the 675lt is quick and really adjustable on the limit, (I have the stock set up so I would imagine with a track alignment it would be even better) but where it completely fell down was the braking from very high speed 165mph. The tail was all over the place and was not confidence inspiring AT ALL. I heard it's down to the car diving and too much weight being on the nose and little on the rear. The GT3 on track feels so confidence inspiring that you can continue to push harder and harder and still not feel like you are reaching the handling potential of the car. Straight line performance is lacking BUT on track it really does feel like the right amount of power so the GT3 wins this one for me. Mountain driving is a very different experience, the 675lt feels very planted and those pops and bangs are really game changing. Because there is so much straight line performance there is a limitation and hesitation to give it the full beans and most of the time TC kicks in so much that you don't feel that rocket like acceleration you feel when in higher gears. Overall in the mountains its bucket loads of fun and I'd take it over the gt3. GT3 is a handling car and a true drivers car, if you are capable of driving it at 10/10ths its incredibly rewarding in both scenarios but it does require a solid level of driving experience. If I went all out and track spec'd the 675lt I think it could be a more enjoyable car on track, it's under tired and some tweaks could be made to TC and i'm also sure and better alignment would give it the edge over everything except a gt2rs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your 675 is that unstable when braking from high speed, there's something wrong imo. Even my 570 is fine and I have much less downforce at the rear.
agreed - check the alignment. I brake hard at 170 mph into turn 8 at Mosport and 675 is planted. Also drive it with semi TC off or Dynamic mode as it’s much faster. Yes there’s a touch of understeer but that’s what’s trail braking is for ;) And the 991 GT2, GT3/RS all have some understeer as well. 992 GT platform different kettle of fish of course.

also own/oned the 991 3RS and 991 2RS and 991/992 GT3 and I find the 675LT easiest to drive close to my limits, and have to date achieved the faster lap time of all my P cars owned/own. Have a 4RS and 992 3RS getting delivered by next track season - I’m expecting the 992 3RS to be quite faster than the 675 in my hands.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Like many ; I’ve had both . I’d only one a gt3rs over any Mclaren if it only came doen to my financial situation .

I’ve noticed that many who give track assessments are more intermediate type drivers .

why even compare a gt3rs to a 675 when it’s not even as fast as a 12c on track ? (Both on street tires . Stock everything )

• Haha
Reactions: alexceres

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah I thought the same thing but I was riding with an instructor who races in the GT3 series and he mentioned most Mclarens 675lt and pre have the same issue that he has been on track with.

Apparently the 720 platform and post releases don’t suffer from this.

agreed - check the alignment. I brake hard at 170 mph into turn 8 at Mosport and 675 is planted. Also drive it with semi TC off or Dynamic mode as it’s much faster. Yes there’s a touch of understeer but that’s what’s trail braking is for ;) And the 991 GT2, GT3/RS all have some understeer as well. 992 GT platform different kettle of fish of course.

also own/oned the 991 3RS and 991 2RS and 991/992 GT3 and I find the 675LT easiest to drive close to my limits, and have to date achieved the faster lap time of all my P cars owned/own. Have a 4RS and 992 3RS getting delivered by next track season - I’m expecting the 992 3RS to be quite faster than the 675 in my hands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A track assessment from an intermediate driver is probably of more use to other intermediate and novice drivers than an assessment from a pro.
I raced spec Miata’s for a bit and was competing regularly in the top 10 and 100% acknowledge I’m an amateur racer at best. There’s some serious levels to this sport but I think all comments from all levels of driver are helpful

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah I thought the same thing but I was riding with an instructor who races in the GT3 series and he mentioned most Mclarens 675lt and pre have the same issue that he has been on track with.

Apparently the 720 platform and post releases don’t suffer from this.
I’d check your alignment to confirm it’s square and consider a track alignment if 675 used more on track than street. Could have been a small pothole or something.

I’ve had new cars even get delivered with a messed up alignment that seemed fine on street but would become super scary on track at fast speed/braking.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A track assessment from an intermediate driver is probably of more use to other intermediate and novice drivers than an assessment from a pro.
yes but mainly no . I wouldn’t be talking about braking , turn in , tire grip, aero , etc., and comparing it with authority if I was doing 1:45 at laguna seca, or 2:40 at COTA . It’s probably pretty important for people to inform others of what their experience is when giving opinions and the same opinions over and over and over again .

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
yes but mainly no . I wouldn’t be talking about braking , turn in , tire grip, aero , etc., and comparing it with authority if I was doing 1:45 at laguna seca, or 2:40 at COTA . It’s probably pretty important for people to inform others of what their experience is when giving opinions and the same opinions over and over and over again .
Not really. This is an Internet forum. I doubt anyone is choosing to buy one or the other based on the track performance opinions they read here. The video was also somewhat ambiguous, since the GT3 is clearly significantly faster through high downforce corners, so it may well be more competitive on other tracks.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts