McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Bleh. Typical idiot review. The lt is too fast, too usable, too good. And the gt3 rs has better steering feedback to McLaren鈥檚 hydraulic steering? I don鈥檛 think so. Reminds me of the bullshit 12c vs 458 reviews.
Anytime some says 鈥渢oo much power鈥 - they are an idiot. Lol. Porsche is underpowered. This is from some who has owned 3 GT cars. Never again.

Registered
Just watched that video. I think it's pretty good. Both are such different cars. In terms of power - I do almost agree with them that on the street the Porsche feels more usable in that you can actually get to redline sometimes. Our McLarens are just so insanely powerful. My 650s shocks me every time (though I've only had it about a month now). It's such a hoot and I love it but I also love getting in my 355GTS with a mere 375hp and being able to redline it in at least a couple gears without losing my license. I felt the same with my now sold R8 V10 - super fun and I could ring it out in more situations than I can with the 650.

I also agree with the unfair reviews of the 12c to the 458. I think the early reviews were before McLaren made the proper updates to it to make it handle properly - look up 5th Gear's review where they couldn't get it to behave. I've driven both now and I'm glad I chose my 650s. It just makes me laugh more.

To me the answer is clear - you need to own both a McLaren and a "lower" power car so you have something to use for any mood!

Registered
I drove the 3rs two weeks ago alongside the f8, the 3RS is boring. You have to ring it's neck to get anything out of it.

I seriously do not understand the hype behind that 3rs. Whenever I say this to people they look at me like I have 4 heads. I always assume because sometimes the Porsche is the highest some can go before stepping into real super car territory, and they don't know any better. Sounds asinine of me, but there's no way I'm driving a 3RS, and 600LT back to back, and choosing the P car.

2RS may be different story.. but I haven't driven it.

Registered
I drove the 3rs two weeks ago alongside the f8, the 3RS is boring. You have to ring it's neck to get anything out of it.

I seriously do not understand the hype behind that 3rs. Whenever I say this to people they look at me like I have 4 heads. I always assume because sometimes the Porsche is the highest some can go before stepping into real super car territory, and they don't know any better. Sounds asinine of me, but there's no way I'm driving a 3RS, and 600LT back to back, and choosing the P car.

2RS may be different story.. but I haven't driven it.
You are spot on. The Porsche cult is strong. The cars are nice but just not the same level as macca.

Premium Member
Yeah that鈥檚 weird. The 675 is a legend. The 991 gt3rs is 鈥 just another 3rs. The 992 is faster and better in literally every way. The collectors drool over the older models like the 997.2 4.0

Registered
Yeah that鈥檚 weird. The 675 is a legend. The 991 gt3rs is 鈥 just another 3rs. The 992 is faster and better in literally every way. The collectors drool over the older models like the 997.2 4.0
You have to understand the British feelings about Porsche. It's difficult to describe the cultural difference, but it's mostly about showing off to the neighbours, at least much more than it is in the US, and people tend to be more impressed by a Porsche than other brands.

Registered
You have to understand the British feelings about Porsche. It's difficult to describe the cultural difference, but it's mostly about showing off to the neighbours, at least much more than it is in the US, and people tend to be more impressed by a Porsche than other brands.
I find it funny that the people that seem to criticize Mclaren the most are Brits. I also find it strange with so many people being obsessed with Porsche. They are no doubt great cars, but when were talking super cars, i don't see how anyone can pick a sporty looking Beetle over a Mecca.

Registered
I find it funny that the people that seem to criticize Mclaren the most are Brits. I also find it strange with so many people being obsessed with Porsche. They are no doubt great cars, but when were talking super cars, i don't see how anyone can pick a sporty looking Beetle over a Mecca.
Yeah, it's a double whammy, as well as loving to adhere to the orthodoxy of Porsche being the be all and end all, there's the other British pastime of the jealous put down. There are reasons why I left at the earliest opportunity.

Registered
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

Both great cars, and yes I agree many Porsche owners are 鈥渃ult鈥 members not willing to try other things. I think the 2 cars are good pairs to own for different experiences. My view owing both cars:

675LT
-Speed amazing and intoxicating makes the RS feel like a slush box
-Easy car to drive daily due to suspension modes are light years above Porsche
-True exotic car and special every time you drive it
-Glitchy fault lights can be annoying thinking something is broken
-Steering feel much better than RS you can feel the car more connected
-Looks drop dead gorgeous
-Wheel size much smaller than the RS resulting into less grip and understeer aided by high power band

GT3RS
-Flat 6 and 9k RPM is a song bird last of the great engines
-Porsche reliability owned 2 RS and drove the crap of of them 100% reliability no weird lights
-Looks like the other 28 911, but a fix wing and other aero bits 鈥ave to be a Porsche die hard to know what it is
-Grip amazing and talking a corner at high speed the damn thing doesn鈥檛 move confidence builder
-Steering subpar to for 675LT
-Seating position 2nd to 675LT
-Not run on the street for casual driving, and to have fun on the street you鈥檙e going to jail
-Don鈥檛 need expensive warranty with the fear of a big service bill and parts will always be available

鈥榃ith all that said both great cars, and for me the nod goes to the 675LT because you can have fun on the track and normal driving because of the power bands. If a full time track car no street driving tip of the hat goes to the RS, and if you can own both they pair very well because they each do what the other doesn鈥檛.

Registered
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

View attachment 225153
Both great cars, and yes I agree many Porsche owners are 鈥渃ult鈥 members not willing to try other things. I think the 2 cars are good pairs to own for different experiences. My view owing both cars:

675LT
-Wheel size much smaller than the RS resulting into less grip and understeer aided by high power band

GT3RS
-Porsche reliability owned 2 RS and drove the crap of of them 100% reliability no weird lights
-Looks like the other 28 911, but a fix wing and other aero bits 鈥ave to be a Porsche die hard to know what it is
-Grip amazing and talking a corner at high speed the damn thing doesn鈥檛 move confidence builder
-Not run on the street for casual driving, and to have fun on the street you鈥檙e going to jail
-Don鈥檛 need expensive warranty with the fear of a big service bill and parts will always be available

鈥榃ith all that said both great cars, and for me the nod goes to the 675LT because you can have fun on the track and normal driving because of the power bands. If a full time track car no street driving tip of the hat goes to the RS, and if you can own both they pair very well because they each do what the other doesn鈥檛.
The RS replacement due to lack of usefulness on the road and lack of time to track.

Premium Member
View attachment 225153

675LT

GT3RS

Every time I see this pic I am amazed at how small the 675 looks compared to the Porsche.

Registered

675LT

GT3RS

This is absolutely spot on. Not only do you have both cars but you know what you're talking about. When the reviewer said the porsche steering felt more connected he lost me. Even if the LT is the "track version" I feel it's not as track focused as the Porsche, but more special to drive in the street and in isolation.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts