McLaren Life banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
The car was under warranty. I had it there for a complete look over and air bag recall before the warranty expired. The recall is covered no matter what. So the $5,999 was for a car under warranty at the time of warranty purchase.

Mike
Just yesterday, I was quoted 7900 for 1 year and 10K for 2 year on the ESC. This was for a car currently under warranty from the dealer where I bought and serviced. I was a bit taken aback based on what I read here.
Where did you get a 5999 quote?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got that quote from James and Mclaren of Chicago. He is a cool guy. Tell him you talked to me. My car was in their shop getting 3rd year service done and warranty expiring. He quoted me the $5900 for a 2016 650S!

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting. I’m in Atlanta and car is being inspected now . Same situation you’re in. I guess I was trying to see if the price was negotiable. Is James their service manager?

·
2016 650S Spider
172 Posts
My read of that is it still does not cover track use. Perhaps I'm missing something...

"This Contract does not cover or remedy Failure(s) resulting directly or indirectly from track or competition use:"
My original dealer (I recently moved to another state) told me that problems that arose on the track might nevertheless be covered under the extended warranty, within reason. The service manager made it sound like they had some discretionary power. At the same time, I'm sure he wanted me to sign up for the extended warranty.

I did NOT take the extended warranty when my factory warranty expired last month. My philosophy with any insurance is that that the purpose of insurance is to cover you against losses that exceed your ability to cope. If I can afford a McLaren, if worst comes to worst, I can afford say a new engine or transmission for said McLaren.

The simple fact is that the dealer (commissioned from the sale of the extended warranty, and paid by the insurer to remedy the problem), the insurer, and presumably McLaren corporate as well all profit from the extended warranty. So you the car owner, on average, inevitably lose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My original dealer (I recently moved to another state) told me that problems that arose on the track might nevertheless be covered under the extended warranty, within reason. The service manager made it sound like they had some discretionary power. At the same time, I'm sure he wanted me to sign up for the extended warranty.

I did NOT take the extended warranty when my factory warranty expired last month. My philosophy with any insurance is that that the purpose of insurance is to cover you against losses that exceed your ability to cope. If I can afford a McLaren, if worst comes to worst, I can afford say a new engine or transmission for said McLaren.

The simple fact is that the dealer (commissioned from the sale of the extended warranty, and paid by the insurer to remedy the problem), the insurer, and presumably McLaren corporate as well all profit from the extended warranty. So you the car owner, on average, inevitably lose.
and i'll add that if something is going to break,it will most likely do so early on.
The current warranty doesn't cover accumulators for instance.
I weighed the risk versus the cost and could not come up with a valid scenario .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not have purchased my used 650S without factory warranty and the first 3 cars I looked at either could not pass, or seller didn't want to invest in bring car up to factory standards. The one I did purchase turned out to be a wrestling match between the owner and the McLaren dealer over the cost to replace one of the accumulators. Yes, I would purchase the extended warranty as this is a fairly new manufacturer. Took car in for annual service and there were $5k in replacements that warranty paid for.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts