McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In June 2017 the factory warranty on my 2015 Mclaren 650s will come to an end, and I am curious to know how many other people are considering purchasing the extended warranty, given the limitations on the McLaren warranty.

My issues with the Extended Warranty are as follows:
  • Long list (undisclosed) of uncovered parts
  • Transmission not covered (28k cost)
  • Cost of labor not included to identify (non covered parts)
  • Gradual loss of engine compression not covered
I think for a lot of us, purchasing the extended warranty gives us peace of mind, however, with the limitations of the warranty, I dont feel like I am getting that piece of mind.

Given my recent experience, I will more than likely go with the extended warranty, but knowing that I may not have full protection is a scary thought.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The transmission is covered under the extended warranty. Do you have reason to believe that it is not covered? That is the main reason I purchased the extended warranty for my 12C.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've had almost $60,000 of work done under my extended warranty, including a new transmission. There has not been a single problem so far that wasn't covered, so I''m not sure where you get the idea that its so limited. No way I would own this car without a warranty, and will be renewing for another two years in Q1 next year.

·
570S Silica White
691 Posts
General question on the extended warranty - is McLaren like other manufacturers in that you might get different prices at different dealerships? Anyone identified the best place to buy the extended warranty?

I've had almost $60,000 of work done under my extended warranty, including a new transmission. There has not been a single problem so far that wasn't covered, so I''m not sure where you get the idea that its so limited. No way I would own this car without a warranty, and will be renewing for another two years in Q1 next year.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
In June 2017 the factory warranty on my 2015 Mclaren 650s will come to an end, and I am curious to know how many other people are considering purchasing the extended warranty, given the limitations on the McLaren warranty.

My issues with the Extended Warranty are as follows:
  • Long list (undisclosed) of uncovered parts
  • Transmission not covered (28k cost)
  • Cost of labor not included to identify (non covered parts)
  • Gradual loss of engine compression not covered
I think for a lot of us, purchasing the extended warranty gives us peace of mind, however, with the limitations of the warranty, I dont feel like I am getting that piece of mind.

Given my recent experience, I will more than likely go with the extended warranty, but knowing that I may not have full protection is a scary thought.
So i think there is a lot that is inaccurate with this post.

Tranny is covered. Labor is covered. While normal wear and tear is not covered by the extended warranty, if the loss of engine compression is outside the norm of normal wear and tear, it would be covered.

As for undisclosed parts, if it's undisclosed, it's pure speculation on if it is long or not.

Here are the 2 primary differences between factory and extended warranty. (1) Track use (outside of official mclaren events) is not covered on extended warranty, and (2) aesthetic defects that do not compromise the operation of the car are not covered (e.g., paint defects that likely would have been covered and fixed under the original factory warranty).

I have added posts, as well as links to the extended warranty contract PDF at the bottom of the list of common defects post here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/63273-faq-common-mclaren-questions-problems.html#post1257009

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
Thanks for the clarification - clutch not being covered - what`s the estimate on the repair job and estimated life?

"The renewal of any clutch component due to incorrect adjustment, misuse or general wear and tear"
The tranny is covered... unless you make an incorrect adjustment (i'd say that's pretty understandable), you misuse it (same here), general wear and tear... So if your transmission blows up and you didn't mess with it, didn't misuse it, and didn't go some crazy mileage on it (which I would think would be well north of 50k at least), it will be covered.

But the cost of replacement, I think is well north of $20k. Might be 30k. I think some here have had their transmission replaced under warranty and might be able to share the quoted price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm considering buying a 2015 650s with 9 months of warranty from a non-mclaren dealer. Can I buy the extended warranty?

Matt

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
I'm considering buying a 2015 650s with 9 months of warranty from a non-mclaren dealer. Can I buy the extended warranty?

Matt
I think while you are still under the original warranty, you will be eligible to buy the extended. Not sure if they have to check the car first or not, but I think you are eligible as long as you do it before the factory warranty runs out. I'd call the dealer to confirm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So i think there is a lot that is inaccurate with this post.

Tranny is covered. Labor is covered. While normal wear and tear is not covered by the extended warranty, if the loss of engine compression is outside the norm of normal wear and tear, it would be covered.

As for undisclosed parts, if it's undisclosed, it's pure speculation on if it is long or not.

Here are the 2 primary differences between factory and extended warranty. (1) Track use (outside of official mclaren events) is not covered on extended warranty, and (2) aesthetic defects that do not compromise the operation of the car are not covered (e.g., paint defects that likely would have been covered and fixed under the original factory warranty).

I have added posts, as well as links to the extended warranty contract PDF at the bottom of the list of common defects post here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/63273-faq-common-mclaren-questions-problems.html#post1257009
Not sure if things have changed but the current extended service contract covers track use as long as it isn't a competitive event and the car was inspected prior and after the event. This is the same coverage as the original warranty on my 2016 650S Spider. Here are the exact terms. Read last bullet.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
The extended warranty for a 650S is $5,999 for one year. I don't know the price for two. I was just quoted that yesterday. I elected not to purchase due to the few miles I put on my car. 2016 model with 1992 miles on it. My question is this, later down the road, regardless of cost, will my car be eligible for extended warranty with an inspection prior to purchase by a Mclaren authorized service facility?

Mike

·
Registered
546 Posts
The extended warranty for a 650S is $5,999 for one year. I don't know the price for two. I was just quoted that yesterday. I elected not to purchase due to the few miles I put on my car. 2016 model with 1992 miles on it. My question is this, later down the road, regardless of cost, will my car be eligible for extended warranty with an inspection prior to purchase by a Mclaren authorized service facility?
Was that to buy before the factory warranty expired? It's (at least for the 12C) more to initiate cover if none is currently in-force. FYI, in the US, it's officially an "Extended Service Contract" - an insurance policy, not a warranty.

The current situation is that you can start cover once the car has passed the required inspection. They can obviously add other conditions, and modify the price, whenever they feel like it though - they had a brief period where they required an unbroken service history, but relented.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
Not sure if things have changed but the current extended service contract covers track use as long as it isn't a competitive event and the car was inspected prior and after the event. This is the same coverage as the original warranty on my 2016 650S Spider. Here are the exact terms. Read last bullet.
View attachment 196052
My read of that is it still does not cover track use. Perhaps I'm missing something...

"This Contract does not cover or remedy Failure(s) resulting directly or indirectly from track or competition use:"

·
Registered
173 Posts
The car was under warranty. I had it there for a complete look over and air bag recall before the warranty expired. The recall is covered no matter what. So the $5,999 was for a car under warranty at the time of warranty purchase.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
My read of that is it still does not cover track use. Perhaps I'm missing something...

"This Contract does not cover or remedy Failure(s) resulting directly or indirectly from track or competition use:"
Maybe you missed my last sentence to read the final bullet:

The ESC also states track use is warranted if McLaren is sponsoring the event. So you'd be fine using it at a McLaren Experience event for instance.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Mike
It can be added to your car down the road, but will require an inspection. any issues will have to be fixed prior to the warranty being added. I think there is a limit on the age of the car as well, I think 10 years after the original warranty expires.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It can be added to your car down the road, but will require an inspection. any issues will have to be fixed prior to the warranty being added. I think there is a limit on the age of the car as well, I think 10 years after the original warranty expires.
I believe that it's 10 years from new to start a new ESC term.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts