McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
What does everyone think of the 570 GT4?

I have heard at least a handful have been sold in the US now. Has anyone had the chance to drive/ride in one yet?
If I wanted a dedicated McLaren track car, I think it is fantastic for $225k. Unfortunately, I do not have the storage space.

I have seen 2 at SF McLaren. A silica white one and the one the showroom floor now, McLaren Orange. That one is my favorite. It comes with a set of rain tires and slicks.

Without a warranty and not being street legal, normal test drives and not possible.

To me it is a proper track car with all the associated safety items.

Reactions: GT Two

·
Registered
220 Posts
I shared a garage at WGI with a pro team that was campaigning the car in the Continental Challenge series. The car is very legit and extremely FAST. However you are buying a full nuts race car. They had a team of six guys working on the car for the entire morning before it was ready to roll. The cooling system has a zillion points at which you have to bleed it to get ALL the air our of the system. It is a good car, but very high maintenance.

·
Owner
810 Posts
Superseded by the 600LT?
It is not a street car. It is a dedicated racing car, designed for either McLaren's one make series and/or IMSA, ALMS, etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's great to drive, the only thing I found is that for race car guys, the ABS system is from the road car, not a proper motorsport ABS system. So in my use, to not get the ABS to activate, I had to consciously squeeze before applying full force. Other than that, perfect GT4 car and/or track toy.

Reactions: Gary(SF)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
:)
DOUBLE VICTORY FOR FLEWITT AS PURE McLAREN GT SERIES RACES AT SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS
03/06/19 from McLaren Automotive

Reigning Pure McLaren GT Series champion Mia Flewitt takes brace of victories in the Spa-Francorchamps rounds of Pure McLaren GT
Rookie Bendan Iribe impresses as field of 570S GT4 cars contests two thrilling races at Belgian Grand Prix venue
Second season of Pure McLaren GT Series with four further events taking place this year
The 2019 FIA-approved Pure McLaren GT Series season headed to the iconic Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium on May 31-June 2 with a field of McLaren 570S GT4 cars competing at the Ardennes venue.

Following two practice sessions on the 7.004 km circuit, reigning Pure McLaren GT Series champion Mia Flewitt topped the 20-minute qualifying session for Saturday’s opening race. Flewitt headed motor racing journalist Ben Anderson, who was making a guest appearance in the series, by just over three tenths of a second.

In the opening race, Anderson battled Flewitt, eventually taking the lead, but received a post-race 10 second penalty for exceeding track limits, dropping him to third place. Flewitt therefore took the victory ahead of 2018 Bruce McLaren Cup champion Sultan Ojjeh, who had fought from fourth place on the grid to finish just seconds behind the winner.

Honours in the Bruce McLaren Cup class for rookie drivers fell to Brendan Iribe, who finished in fourth place overall following an intense fight with Patrice Gautier and Nick Moss.

Flewitt carried her strong form into Sunday, taking pole position for race two by a couple of tenths from an inspired Iribe. Having later converted pole into the race lead, Flewitt was kept under pressure from Iribe for much of the race, the gap never more than two seconds. With just a few laps to go the rookie sensed an opportunity to mount a challenge, but contact between the pair ended Iribe’s race, whilst Flewitt held on to take the win together with fastest lap of the weekend.

The final podium places were contested by Issam Charrouf and Ojjeh, and the latter claimed second after outfoxing his rival at the La Source hairpin. Behind them, Moss took the Bruce McLaren Cup victory, having fought from seventh on the grid to fourth overall, with Christian Buechel also impressing by finishing in seventh place after starting 14th.

The next Pure McLaren GT Series rounds will take place at the Hungaroring, home of the Hungarian Grand Prix, on June 28 to July 1.

The Pure McLaren GT Series is a prestigious one-make championship for amateur racers to enjoy their first steps in motorsport, in an environment benefiting from full McLaren support. Drivers have a dedicated driver coach and full engineering and technical support to ensure that their skills and race craft continue to develop at every round. Luxury hotels and five-star McLaren dining experiences ensure that drivers enjoy a great social scene and the championship benefits from close camaraderie both on and off the track.

Drivers race in technically identical McLaren 570S GT4 cars so that the emphasis is on driver skill.

Pure McLaren GT Series is made up of two categories: Pure McLaren GT Series (competed for by all drivers), The Bruce McLaren Cup (only open to drivers who have not held a racing licence for longer than a year and not competed in any racing higher than a club level race event).

Pure McLaren GT Series races solely on Pure McLaren weekends to guarantee a premium and exclusive environment with likeminded drivers. The 2019 calendar is:

Round 1, Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium, 1 – 2 June
Round 2, Hungaroring, Hungary, 29 – 30 June
Round 3, Hockenheim, Germany, 31 August – 1 September
Round 4, Silverstone, UK, 12 – 13 October
Round 5, Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain, 27 – 28 November

·
Sponsor
1,444 Posts
I drove a 570S GT4 for a few laps at NOLA Motorsports Park. It's a full blown race car - no vin/warranty so not street legal.

Once the tires (Pirelli slicks) and brakes got some heat into them, the car was extremely planted and handled like it was on rails. Car is raw (partial cage, racing buckets/steering wheel, fire suppression system etc) but still retains a few elements to the road going model. Plenty of power for the track as well.

Incredible experience and an incredible car. If I had the coin, I would LOVE one as a track toy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I recently picked up one. Bought it over the winter so have not gotten it on track yet. Looking forward to this Corona thing to be over so the tracks open back up. Will report back once I get some seat time.

Reactions: Twinscroll

·
Registered
278 Posts
saw one at Thermal recently Has dry break refueling system and well as other pure race car systems that require a crew to operate safely and properly
600 LT way more practical for weekend warriors

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently picked up one. Bought it over the winter so have not gotten it on track yet. Looking forward to this Corona thing to be over so the tracks open back up. Will report back once I get some seat time.
Let me know if you need spares. I can get GT4 parts from McLaren.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The car is simply awesome and probably the best car for those who want to get into proper track work and who want a car that does not break u financially. McLaren have been superb and very accommodating. My dealer has a full team that supports these type of cars so its an "arrive and drive" scenario and that works for me.

Way better option than using a road car on the track IMO

·
Registered
67 Posts
GT4 spoiler and canards would be nice.... and tow hook. :)
I'm building a road based replica with OEM GT4 wing, canards, aero vanes, tow strap. I have a track pack 570s so I already have some cool additions like carbon buckets and track telemetry.

I only do a few track days a year and considered ohlins but for my use it would be overkill. I have gone for some springs instead for now and will reconsider depending on how I use the car. I am looking to change to either 620r or 600LT engine mounts, sway bars also and harness bar.

The car has AWE cats so sounds really nice, I may add an exhaust also

Its not a GT4 bit will be as close as I am going to get to one!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do about 6 track days a year and while it is quite expensive the GT4 is purpose built and you drive very differently as a pure track car. In addition being an "arrive and drive" scenario with full mechanics and tutoring it gives the best solution for me as I am time poor.
Photo 3-6-19, 3 46 56 pm.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lovely Shack!

I wish I could justify it. Mines for European trips and a few track days.

Its all being put together this week I hope!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts