McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've just came back from my service centre and they showed me that gap between the tires and the inner diffusor is very little, and that cars with aftermarket wheels usually rub. Unfortunately i've already ordered 12" width for the rear, i am very much afraid it'll rub. For those of you using 12" in the rear do you wheels rub in the inner diffusor? or does it rub at all?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The carbon fibre duct is very close. Not a great pic as you can see. The front tires run the closest to the wheel arch liner on full lock but do t rub. Hope this helps

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ksbenz,

Those are great shots, very helpful. I tried to order P101's last year but HRE didn't have them ready for my summer tire exchange. Did you explore a 20/20 set-up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is still some clearance from diffuser
Is that the picture of the rear.. How is it possible that the gap between the stock wheels and the diffusor is only 2 finger space, with 305/30/20, and now with 375 it seems that the gap is still the same?? But it looks like its clear though

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
Wheel offset probably makes up the difference. It will move the whole wheel to the outside of the car, just enought to allow a wheel/tire combination of that magnitude/weight.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sorry all, but have to say it.. WHY oh WHY do you think they chose certain tires? Clearly not to annoy you and make you buy new ones...

They chose them because McLaren think those are the right choice for the car....

Why always bigger, bigger, bigger in the US?! :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I need to admit that the 335 is too much for the rear for track days. For daily driving no problem at all and great stance but if I'd do it again I'd go for 305's with other offset to bring the wheels out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry all, but have to say it.. WHY oh WHY do you think they chose certain tires? Clearly not to annoy you and make you buy new ones...

They chose them because McLaren think those are the right choice for the car....

Why always bigger, bigger, bigger in the US?! :)
Because we can.;-)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Because we can.;-)
That's the point Ksbenz, you actually CAN NOT... ;)

Unless you do not care about rubbing, breaking the tyre on track, or anything like that...

Of course, if you do not care if your car breaks because of your upgrades, thats fine... have fun ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put Trofeos on my 12C (HIGHLY recommend) and my service department in Beverly Hills took a Dremel and painstakingly custom cut a notch in my carbon rear diffuser to allow for the larger tire size. Under close visual inspection you would have no idea any modifications were done. Worked perfectly. FAR better tires and very easily done.

~CaliMac

·
Registered
551 Posts
Did you put the trofeos on your stocks wheels? Than it should be 305's and don't see the pointed cutting anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's the point Ksbenz, you actually CAN NOT... ;)

Unless you do not care about rubbing, breaking the tyre on track, or anything like that...

Of course, if you do not care if your car breaks because of your upgrades, thats fine... have fun ;)
Wow, don't understand your comment. I said there is no rubbing, I have put it round the track, no rubbing, it rides like stock and don't see why it should break.

I didn't invent the wheel and leave it to people like HRE who know something about wheels. I get your point that Mclaren put the wheels on that they do for a reason, but thats like saying ANY mod will hurt the car or break it.

I like it, others have done it. Each to their own... And thanks, I am having lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Wow, don't understand your comment. I said there is no rubbing, I have put it round the track, no rubbing, it rides like stock and don't see why it should break.

I didn't invent the wheel and leave it to people like HRE who know something about wheels. I get your point that Mclaren put the wheels on that they do for a reason, but thats like saying ANY mod will hurt the car or break it.

I like it, others have done it. Each to their own... And thanks, I am having lots of fun.
I have seen multiple people with big issues on track.

And actually, yes, I am saying that any modification will hurt the car, or cause some issue. It's like putting a new exhaust on the car although it breaks emission standards. :)

I understand optimizing cars, with supported things. That's what MSO is for. I do not trust third parties with a 300k car.

I put mods in both my SLS, but they were done by brabus and not some tuner in the us or such...

·
Registered
886 Posts
I put Trofeos on my 12C (HIGHLY recommend) and my service department in Beverly Hills took a Dremel and painstakingly custom cut a notch in my carbon rear diffuser to allow for the larger tire size. Under close visual inspection you would have no idea any modifications were done. Worked perfectly. FAR better tires and very easily done.

~CaliMac
To clarify, you put the trofeos on the factory wheels and had to cut the rear diffuser?

·
Registered
94 Posts
We're a bunch of rednecks who only know about trucks! Geez LOL.

Sorry my mods don't meet with your approval.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts