McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Owner
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a 2015 Corvette Z06/Z07. Yes I'm still keeping my Mclaren, love it. I just thought the Corvette looked like a fun track car and drive to work car. The 12C isn't a car I can drive to work (too exotic and dramatic), not good for business. Just wondering how you guys thought the new Corvette would compare performance wise.
650hp/650lb torque
Specifically:

Quarter mile?
0-60 and 0-100mph?
Skid pad ?
Roll race against 12 C ?
Braking?
Top speed?
Nurburgring track time?

I'm not trying to start a debate as to which car is better. I know the Mclaren is a mid engine supercar which is in a different league from the vette . However, no one can deny the performance the new Corvette offers for the money...

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,070 Posts
it should do very well. On all counts. Will be more of a difference in driver. Ride will be more comfy in the 12C. Unless you get Michelins on the 12C, skid pad will be better, i suspect, on z06.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just ordered a 2015 Corvette Z06/Z07. Yes I'm still keeping my Mclaren, love it. I just thought the Corvette looked like a fun track car and drive to work car. The 12C isn't a car I can drive to work (too exotic and dramatic), not good for business. Just wondering how you guys thought the new Corvette would compare performance wise.
650hp/650lb torque
Specifically:

Quarter mile?
0-60 and 0-100mph?
Skid pad ?
Roll race against 12 C ?
Braking?
Top speed?
Nurburgring track time?

I'm not trying to start a debate as to which car is better. I know the Mclaren is a mid engine supercar which is in a different league from the vette . However, no one can deny the performance the new Corvette offers for the money...
If I were to get a Vette, I'd wait for the limited edition, mid engine version. If they don't cheapen the interior and keep it out of the hands of the typical Chevy dealer, could be a decent buy with true uniqueness.

BTW, my 12C in performance just walks away from the stock C7, in any gear, any track, any day. In the right setting the C7 might be considered fast, but not against a Mclaren, Ferrari or Lamb.

Christian

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
One thing to remember is that the new Z06 hp/tq-to-weight is actually down compared to the ZR1. I expect the new transmission, TC, a general improvements to make up for this to some degree.

Compared to the 12C I predict:

1/4: About the same, maybe a mph or two higher trap speed. Will depend on tires and LC/transmission.
0-60: About the same.
0-100: About the same or a little quicker.
Skid: Better, but tire depentent.
Roll: Slightly better due to more tq.
Braking: Not sure, but it does weight quite a bit more.
Top speed: Not sure since it's pretty much something that can be set to whatever you want. Could be 230 or could be 202.
NR: We've never seen an updated 12C on the NR with the best tires, so I'm not sure what that time is. I'm guessing the Z06 will be quicker though.

It's a significantly newer car with more hp/tq. I'd be shocked if it wasn't better. Then again, we've never seen what a 12C/650S can do with the best tires and latest upgrades. Most tests on the 12C were prior to updates and with lesser tires. I don't believe anyone has tested the 650S with Trofeos either, let alone the coupe!

Anyone know what tires the Z06 is coming with?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
692 Posts
The new Z06 is likely to be quite a car.

It will have redonkulous instant torque, it will probably be a serious blast to drive.

The 7 speed won't 1/4 mile as well as a 12C/650S, but the 8 speed auto should be right there.

It will likely outperform the 12C and 650S in any magazine road course tests, due to tires.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I'd only buy a C7 Z06 in Europe. Just in my neighborhood there is a dealer with what seems like 50-100 Corvettes on the lot at any given time. Just too generic for me.

$100K is an amazing price for Z06 performance.
$100K is way too much for a Corvette.

I'd rather spend $40K more and have a slower, but much cooler GT3.

I really wish they'd kill the Z06 and dump it's powertrain into a car worthy of that performance. I'd much rather pay $200-250K for a FordGT-like car than a $60K car with flared fenders and fancy aero. Its' not the deal of the century unless you love Corvettes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,070 Posts
I'd only buy a C7 Z06 in Europe. Just in my neighborhood there is a dealer with what seems like 50-100 Corvettes on the lot at any given time. Just too generic for me.

I really wish they'd kill the Z06 and dump it's powertrain into a car worthy of that performance. I'd much rather pay $200-250K for a FordGT-like car than a $60K car with flared fenders and fancy aero. Its' not the deal of the century unless you love Corvettes.
Disagree with this. Your view is valid, obviously for your own tastes, and for those that value looks and exclusivity over all else, including performance and merit.

There are quite a few folks, I'd wager, that have those priorities in a different order.

There's no right or wrong in it. We like what we like. Just pointing out that I don't think the above is a universal.

·
Owner
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Disagree too. What can you buy for 100k that even comes close in performance?? GTR stock doesn't stand a chance. Ford GT nice but old and not anywhere near the performance stock. GT3 great car, I've owned one but just different and ubiquitous in my area just like a corvette. Same argument can be made about porsche 911, there are so many variants and they all look similar.

I've owned Porsches, Ferraris , etc and I guess I like cars in general and am not particularly loyal to any one brand. I am very impressed, however, with my 12C ..

I think you guys are underestimating how fast the 12C is. I have roll raced many cars and the 12C almost always wins even against modified GTR (to some extent), porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari. From a dig its a different story because of traction.

I think the Vette will have a hard time matching 12C with respect to acceleration. I also think you have to give Chevy some credit as they've fixed almost every negative regarding prior Vette. Finally a nice interior, great brakes, nice electronics, lots of carbon fiber, nice looking, LED lights, improved suspension and great tires, torque and horsepower. I guess everyone's different but in my view its a great car and performer at any price let alone 100k. Every car I've ever owned has been imperfect.

·
Owner
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were to get a Vette, I'd wait for the limited edition, mid engine version. If they don't cheapen the interior and keep it out of the hands of the typical Chevy dealer, could be a decent buy with true uniqueness.

BTW, my 12C in performance just walks away from the stock C7, in any gear, any track, any day. In the right setting the C7 might be considered fast, but not against a Mclaren, Ferrari or Lamb.

Christian
You can't expect a base C7 Vette to keep up with the Mclaren. The Z06 may be a different story.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Disagree too. What can you buy for 100k that even comes close in performance??
Depends what you want it for. Strictly on the track, you can buy way better cars for that price. Not streetable of course, but even a $100K older race car will run circles around a new Z06. More expensive to run, but I'm sure you can find 997 Cup cars that would run circles around a Z06.

On the street, well, I'd argue a used GTR with mods totalling $100K all-in will easily best the Z06 in street metrics. Perhaps not a fair comparison stock-for-stock, but 650hp/650tq in a GTR is pretty cheap. Same goes for a 997 Turbo.

Honestly, I've lost interest in track metrics on street cars. The performance is too high for the streets and my skill level too low even if the conditions allowed. 12C is probably the highest performing car I've ever driven and the highest performing car I'll ever actually need. Looks is what's important for me these days.

To each their own though.

·
Owner
41 Posts
All good points. I personally think the C7 Z06 will be a beast on the track and give the 12C a run for the money in all the performance stats. Saying that, you couldn't pry my 12C out of my hands, I love it, and I've had a list of incredible cars.

For the money, the Z06 will offer tremendous value to smiles ratio without question. If it were me looking for a performance oriented DD to take to the office, I'd be looking at something totally different (E63 Wagon or FF). But for daily purposes, I drive a Sienna that I can haul kids or lumber in, never have to worry about it, and never take shit from my clients for having a fancy car.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
For the office and dealing with customers, I'd drive the most mediocre car I could find. You're not so broke that they think you're desperate and can low ball you, and you're not so rich that they think they should low-ball you because you make too much money.

I remember reading a story about Apple back in the day, when Steve Jobs and some other guys were meeting with investors or something. Steve Jobs said something like, "We gotta hurry up and move these cars (Porsches.) We don't want them to think we're making a lot of money."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just ordered a 2015 Corvette Z06/Z07. Yes I'm still keeping my Mclaren, love it. I just thought the Corvette looked like a fun track car and drive to work car. The 12C isn't a car I can drive to work (too exotic and dramatic), not good for business..
I have also been looking at the Z06 for exactly the same reasons. Are you sure you want the Z07? I have heard that the suspension is much stiffer and that may not be ideal for a drive to work car. I want the 8 speed automatic and it will delay my order 1-2 months so hopefully we will see some reviews before I have to decide. I also plan to keep the McLaren and it is really too bad the 12C was too over the top to work as a drive to work car (nothing at all to do with the way it drives, which I consider near perfect).

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The Vette will outperform any McLaren in the corners except the p1. And quite easily I imagine.

Sounds like you are mainly concerned with straight line accel, tho.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts

Lol yes reasonably sure. They'll probably crash a few before said and done. Engineer and test driver Mero is an animal behind the wheel. Quite cool actually as he's not even a pro racer. Not sure if that was him.

Vette chassis has always been sorted. With the increased fixed aero and cup 2 rubber, it's in a different class than MP4/650/China/Bangladesh that comes on pirelli. It will dice with 991 RS, as C6Z did with 997.

Of course this may only be apparent to those that actually visit the track to see what's what, instead of poring over press releases and bs from magazines.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Of course this may only be apparent to those that actually visit the track to see what's what, instead of poring over press releases and bs from magazines.
lol, very funny mate I am only the messenger.....:). oh, btw, the 625c, its to do with looking good on presentations...or so one one thinks....

IMHO, you understand.....:cool:.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts