McLaren Life banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this might seem as a stupid question, but how much will a McLaren 12C from 2011-2013 cost in 2024? I am living in Germany, and around this time, I saw them moving around 90k. Answers will be deeply appreciated:)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Hello, this might seem as a stupid question, but how much will a McLaren 12C from 2011-2013 cost in 2024? I am living in Germany, and around this time, I saw them moving around 90k. Answers will be deeply appreciated:)
All I can say, here in the UK, many see the 12C as a classic design and is becoming sought after......it will still look good in many years time whereas the latter model's design will date very quickly imop. I do think many see the high cost of maintenance as problematic.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
The main issue I feel will be the cost vs. lack of available warranty. 2024 will be the last year any 12C can buy a warranty, and most will have high mileage by then, being 10-12 years old. Things will start to break, and the cost of repair work could sway people away from purchasing them.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I don’t think that will affect value too much now that there are more and more independent shops out there. There are a lot of other exotics out there with super expensive parts that have appreciated a bunch. For example, I owned a Ferrari 355 GTS 6 spd from 2010-15 and maintenance / parts was just as ridiculous as McLaren. An OEM gas cap at the time cost $950. Engine needed to be dropped every 3-5 yrs to replace the cam belts. Despite all of that prices have more than doubled since I sold mine. My 12C has never been under warranty during my ownership and it has been rock solid.

12C’s are a gem with timeless looks and incredible performance for a reasonable price. The only thing missing is a 6 spd. Over time I think they will be pretty sought after.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My take on this is .. I don't care. I bought my 12C because I liked the value for performance, handling, technology, and feeling special every time I drive it. A 200mph supercar is not cheap to maintain, but you just have to accept that, IMO. Low volume parts are expensive, although McLaren certainly adds a fair chunk themselves.

One concern about future values is the transition to (more and more capable) electric cars. Some see that as a plus for petrol classic cars, some as a minus. Only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I don’t think anyone can realistically predict this.
how much will a dollar / euro / etc be worth ? It’s not just about the car, but as an asset, the economy too. The supply shortage seems likely to run deep into 2023. I’d hazard the guess we’ll see continued high demand and short supply of super cars for quite some time, and that’ll keep the price near-ish the current level. But the last two years have been chaotic … there’s likely more volatility to come and who knows if it’ll be up or down

·
Premium Member
MP4-12C MY2013 Orange Coupe
60 Posts
I hope it will increase, similar % increase as the F1.
Realistic I guess 70% increase over 10 years.

But I have bought mine for the fun to drive it.
Priceless.

·
Owner
976 Posts
Thorney in the UK and McMedics in the U.S. really make these cars much more 'affordable'. In most cases, you can fly the McMedics to your location and get a fix or maintenance at a lower cost than shipping to a dealer.

·
Registered
560 Posts
They are affordable cars, I am not rich and can afford to maintain mine to top level. I would agree that the dealer costs are ridiculous though, that REALLY needs to be rectified. Ive done around 6k miles in mine in a year and all I have come across is a burst water pipe thats never been changed anyway. These failures happen on all normal cars. I am chasing a misfire issue which I have had since ive owned the car, but I have been speaking with one of the previous owners and he had no issues so its a small issue, probably spark gap or cooked lambda sensors from other owners revving the tits off of it at standstill to make it flame. They will go up when they have been established in the market as more reliable than people think, that is the real issue effecting the values.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
They are affordable cars, I am not rich and can afford to maintain mine to top level. I would agree that the dealer costs are ridiculous though, that REALLY needs to be rectified. Ive done around 6k miles in mine in a year and all I have come across is a burst water pipe thats never been changed anyway. These failures happen on all normal cars. I am chasing a misfire issue which I have had since ive owned the car, but I have been speaking with one of the previous owners and he had no issues so its a small issue, probably spark gap or cooked lambda sensors from other owners revving the tits off of it at standstill to make it flame. They will go up when they have been established in the market as more reliable than people think, that is the real issue effecting the values.
Your misfire
Have you scoped your dld?
Could be one of your springs is deteriorating but not to the point of catastrophe.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thats last on the list but i dont think it is tbh. Ive got one ready but hoping not. Its an expensive job. If it was gone it would
Misfire all the time and it doesnt do it all the time. Ive got a whole ongoing thread about it

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thats last on the list but i dont think it is tbh. Ive got one ready but hoping not. Its an expensive job. If it was gone it would
Misfire all the time and it doesnt do it all the time. Ive got a whole ongoing thread about it
Got it
I had McMedics do mine
Flawless job but mine needed it as the 675 would not start due to parts of the spring dislodged

·
Registered
560 Posts
I saw that yes, im guessing your car has seen track time and a lot of high rpm downshifting. That is what dislodges the springs mixed with heat

·
Registered
30 Posts
Problem won’t be warranty. That’s just life. Problem will be quality examples continue to decrease the scarcer and more affordable they become. Reminds me of vipers. Limited production for all intents and purposes across the entire life of the car, NA engine and manual transmission with exotic looks and performance. Gen 2s were dirt cheap for years. As were cheaper 6 owner cars beat to crap. Many totaled. Now they are valued way up. 2024 who knows. Likely the biggest unknown is the state of the world economy. Time will tell. If you want the car bad enough you will have it. If it’s wise or not that’s tbd :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts