McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my area (Northern California), we have a very vibrant track community and exotic car community (Our dealer services about 700 Mclaren's).

Many people own across all the marque's (ferrari/lambo/porsche/mclaren). Porsche's dominate attendance at track days but now more and more Mclarens are starting to make it out to track days.

My coach is a pro and he coach's many people. (he has significant experience coaching GT3RS, GT3, GT4 cayman, Viper ACR, 600 LT, 720s, Pista, Senna, P1, etc. He used to track a ZL1).

He wanted to get another car (track/street/canyon carving purposes). He is price conscience. He was about to get a Porsche GT3 but looked around and saw that there are many such cars and felt that he wouldn't be able to keep up with some of his Mac students. I had suggested he get a 570s with the MSO high downforce package. This was still outside his price range. He just had the Mac bug and was able to find the spec/price of a 12C through Mclaren Newport. He was able to get a 2 year extended warranty and to top it off they flew him and his girlfriend into Newport from SF Bay Area to close the deal.

The following video is his first time tracking his 12C at Thunderhill Raceway in the over the top configuration (about 2 seconds slower then the bypass configuration). Nine of us rented out a run group from the NorCal Audi Group. 4 Mac's, 3 .2gt3rs, cayman gt4 and BMW M2. All the members of the group are extremely fast/quick around a race track.

The owner of the 600 LT in this video has the GT3rs track record at Laguna Seca (1:33.45 in Dunlop's and 1:31 in Cup2 R tires). He is extremely quick in 600 LT and GT3rs.

Coach jeff gives good commentary and there is good track video of the two chasing each other. Jeff was able to do a 1:53 in the 12C. Both cars with goodyear 3r tires and giro discs.

12C is still a great car even 9 years later .

Enjoy.

2,645 Posts
Not only is that impressive but as you noted, 9 years later the 12C is a very relevant track car and well in the mix with the worlds best offerings from Porsche and the other top brands

·
Registered
268 Posts
I realize the feeling you get from a car is all relative to what you have experience with and how deep your pockets are. For me, who has had tuner cars most of my life that I modified, the move into my 12c was enormous. The car is unbelievable compared to anything else in my experiences. Of course the 720s is going to be better and the 720s will soon be a thing of the past with hybrid instant torque etc but there are those out there like me who enjoy the 12c as if it's the worlds best supercar.

·
2012 MP4-12C
621 Posts
I realize the feeling you get from a car is all relative to what you have experience with and how deep your pockets are. For me, who has had tuner cars most of my life that I modified, the move into my 12c was enormous.
When are you going to start tuning the 12c? Lol. It is an amazing platform to start, and straight bonkers with a bit of extra work!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do wonder how the electric car revolution is going to effect super car prices. I suspect the ICE vehicles are going to become collectibles eventually.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I do wonder how the electric car revolution is going to effect super car prices. I suspect the ICE vehicles are going to become collectibles eventually.
too many ice vehicles out there for them to become collectible in our or even the next generation imo and will be worth nothing once gasoline is no longer widely available.
the value of 12c's may eventually level off but i think we are far from this.

·
2012 MP4-12C
621 Posts
Yup. You’re likely looking at a 50+ year horizon for the possibility of ICE’s becoming largely unavailable. Gas companies have too much of a hold, and despite what they say fossil fuels are still too plentiful. You also need a generation of people to (ahem) die before you could actually get the populace to accept a fully electric future. It will happen, but not anytime soon.

As for electric supercars... many have been teased, but few have been vetted. Tesla, Lamborghini, etc. have shown cars off, but you can’t go buy one. The only one that has any real data is Rimac, but with numbers competable to Pagani, they are not exactly plentiful.

I am actually very curious to see how the next-gen McLaren hybrids will feel. It is always a challenge to balance the performance gained by a (partially) electric powertrain with the added weight of batteries.

·
Registered
760 Posts
ice will be mostly phased out in less than 20 years imo. the public perception and acceptance is already rather positive of all electric.
didn't VAG announce electric only for volkswagen by 2025 or something like that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts