1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I just bought my first McLaren today!
I'm from the Bay area in Cali.
2012 mp4-12C coupe, with bumper and hood damage...
I'm stoked and have loved these cars since I first set eyes on the F1.
I'm going to have the rebuild and some maintenance filmed and would appreciate any advice.
I.E... specific content requests, sponsors and any details that you would like to see or would not like to see.
As well as opinions on salvaged McLaren ownership and sales
thanks
Max C.L.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hey all,
I'm going to have the rebuild and some maintenance filmed and would appreciate any advice.
I.E... specific content requests, sponsors and any details that you would like to see or would not like to see.
thanks
Max C.L.
Welcome. McLaren parts are so ridiculously expensive, the Super series cars quite complicated, and the effect on values of accident history so severe, that I wouldn't attempt a repair purely to save money. Nice 12Cs, without any accident history, have sold in the $80k range in the past.

I always like seeing photos of the cars in various stages of disassembly - they're packaged quite tightly.

Where are you in the SF Bay area?

2012 MP4-12C
2,419 Posts
Hey all,
thanks
Max C.L.
I want to make sure you have realistic expectations here, so don't take any of this negatively.

• New parts are stupid expensive, salvage parts or aftermarket are the way to go. Know that salvage parts may still need cosmetic work, aftermarket parts may not fit correctly and also need work.
  • You won't get rich off the videos. To do proper videos it takes a lot of time to make it with basically nothing in return.
  • The McLaren owner viewership of such videos is very small, it needs to appeal to the masses.
  • You aren't going to get any sponsors, at least none of any real value.
  • Some things require a dealer level tool and none are practical for individual use.
  • That bumper and hood damage might be a lot more than bumper and hood damage under the surface. Be prepared for 5 figures in parts.
I've done a bunch of videos and I can tell you people appreciate detail and clarity. Put some personality into the videos. My other channel is usually pretty dry and people comment when it's got more personality. Ownership is what you make it, it can be expensive or in-expensive depending on you. Drive it hard and often if you want the least amount of problems. Don't worry about depreciation because you aren't getting your money back on it regardless. In a best case scenario with a salvage and you doing the work, if you bought at the right price you might break even on resale.

Reactions: batcheej and rnixon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. McLaren parts are so ridiculously expensive, the Super series cars quite complicated, and the effect on values of accident history so severe, that I wouldn't attempt a repair purely to save money. Nice 12Cs, without any accident history, have sold in the $80k range in the past.

I always like seeing photos of the cars in various stages of disassembly - they're packaged quite tightly.

Where are you in the SF Bay area?
Clean title in 80k range is not the best news..
Oh well tho, I definitely will enjoy this car!
I live in sf, at will be worked on in Redwood City.

2012 MP4-12C
2,419 Posts
I did,, never to early to work a sale.IMO
My plan is to eventually get into a 650s spyder.
It could take you months to get it sorted, and people generally want to buy now, not a salvage title whenever it's done and might be right.

Clean title in 80k range is not the best news..
Oh well tho, I definitely will enjoy this car!
I live in sf, at will be worked on in Redwood City.
Just because one person offloaded a problematic car to get out from under it doesn't mean they all go for it. People posting things like that just drive the values down more because then people think that's what the market is and refuse to pay more. Things are worth what people are willing to sell for and people will buy at. If sellers won't take less they're forced to buy higher which keeps values up for everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tha
I want to make sure you have realistic expectations here, so don't take any of this negatively.

• New parts are stupid expensive, salvage parts or aftermarket are the way to go. Know that salvage parts may still need cosmetic work, aftermarket parts may not fit correctly and also need work.
  • You won't get rich off the videos. To do proper videos it takes a lot of time to make it with basically nothing in return.
  • The McLaren owner viewership of such videos is very small, it needs to appeal to the masses.
  • You aren't going to get any sponsors, at least none of any real value.
  • Some things require a dealer level tool and none are practical for individual use.
  • That bumper and hood damage might be a lot more than bumper and hood damage under the surface. Be prepared for 5 figures in parts.
I've done a bunch of videos and I can tell you people appreciate detail and clarity. Put some personality into the videos. My other channel is usually pretty dry and people comment when it's got more personality. Ownership is what you make it, it can be expensive or in-expensive depending on you. Drive it hard and often if you want the least amount of problems. Don't worry about depreciation because you aren't getting your money back on it regardless. In a best case scenario with a salvage and you doing the work, if you bought at the right price you might break even on resale.
Thanks for such a thought out message!
I’m really new to posting in any forum and I’m really appreciating the response. I have worked on some exotics and vintage race cars and at that shop I heard the expression “Italian tune up”, so I’m glad to see you affirming the drive it hard and often approach. So far I’m very impressed with this site, I even had a guy coming to me offering parts... so awesome!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Just because one person offloaded a problematic car to get out from under it doesn't mean they all go for it.
From what I recall, more than one apparently good car traded at that level. However, as you said, prices change over time, and that was quite a while ago. I don't follow the 12C sales market anymore.

People posting things like that just drive the values down more because then people think that's what the market is and refuse to pay more.
Some, perhaps, although there are plenty of sellers spinning the opposite narrative.

Things are worth what people are willing to sell for and people will buy at. If sellers won't take less they're forced to buy higher which keeps values up for everyone.
Exactly. There are plenty of cars that are not priced to sell, so it's very difficult to see where the market is really at, without buyers and sellers reporting transaction amounts. Regardless, a salvage title is a massive issue for resale, and would need to be heavily discounted, IMO.

2012 MP4-12C
2,419 Posts
From what I recall, more than one apparently good car traded at that level. However, as you said, prices change over time, and that was quite a while ago. I don't follow the 12C sales market anymore.

Some, perhaps, although there are plenty of sellers spinning the opposite narrative.

Exactly. There are plenty of cars that are not priced to sell, so it's very difficult to see where the market is really at, without buyers and sellers reporting transaction amounts. Regardless, a salvage title is a massive issue for resale, and would need to be heavily discounted, IMO.
A while back I heard "yeah those go for $90k" then you look up all of them for sale and they were $110k-ish. Also don't confuse retail or private party with wholesale. I've seen clean title problematic cars with differed maintenance go for $85k, and they were a "good car". It's not hard to see where the market really is, see what most are listed at and there ya go. Sale price won't be far off. One freak incident doesn't make the car worth that much.

That being said, with the exception of rare cars, salvage titles usually go for 15-20% off market. Last I looked at 12C's they were $110-130k so I'd anticipate a salvage car to go for $88-110k depending on the options and documentation of repair. To be profitable (depending what was damaged exactly) I'd want to be a buyer around $60-65k wrecked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A while back I heard "yeah those go for $90k" then you look up all of them for sale and they were $110k-ish. Also don't confuse retail or private party with wholesale. I've seen clean title problematic cars with differed maintenance go for $85k, and they were a "good car". It's not hard to see where the market really is, see what most are listed at and there ya go. Sale price won't be far off. One freak incident doesn't make the car worth that much.

That being said, with the exception of rare cars, salvage titles usually go for 15-20% off market. Last I looked at 12C's they were $110-130k so I'd anticipate a salvage car to go for $88-110k depending on the options and documentation of repair. To be profitable (depending what was damaged exactly) I'd want to be a buyer around $60-65k wrecked.
From what I've seen so far that sounds about right, I'm at 55k to my door. With the help of the awesome people on this forum, I'm projecting the exterior to be sub 5k installed and painted.(bumper, hood)
I'm seeing airbag cost varying so its hard to say, but hopefully they'll be around 1500 for all three.
Time will tell...But truly my first priority is to Experience this car!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
With the help of the awesome people on this forum, I'm projecting the exterior to be sub 5k installed and painted.(bumper, hood)
I'm seeing airbag cost varying so its hard to say, but hopefully they'll be around 1500 for all three.
I wish you the best of luck, but I really doubt that you'll get away with that little. I know that, in the context of normal cars, it sounds like a lot, but McLaren add a lot of expense. For example, they don't publish their paint formulation, so you are limited in your options.

Are those the only two external parts that need replacing? If the airbags triggered, I would expect a lot more to be damaged.

Time will tell...But truly my first priority is to Experience this car!!
Enjoy!

2012 MP4-12C
2,419 Posts
I would only follow that logic if cars were selling quickly. When I was looking (two years ago), many cars were sitting for months, so I placed no weight on their asking prices.
If they're selling super fast, they're selling for too little.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If they're selling super fast, they're selling for too little.
I take your point, but if they're not selling for "too long" (which is obviously vague), it tells you something. Many people with cars at this price level can afford to wait, so, IMO, are often optimistic with their pricing. This is self-perpetuating, as many base their asking price on those of others, not sales prices (as they're difficult to know).

When you see "less desirable" specs, asking more than "desirable" cars that haven't sold for several months, you know that they're not serious about selling.

2012 MP4-12C
2,419 Posts
I take your point, but if they're not selling for "too long" (which is obviously vague), it tells you something. Many people with cars at this price level can afford to wait, so, IMO, are often optimistic with their pricing. This is self-perpetuating, as many base their asking price on those of others, not sales prices (as they're difficult to know).

When you see "less desirable" specs, asking more than "desirable" cars that haven't sold for several months, you know that they're not serious about selling.
Some are listed for tax purposes, not because they want to sell. Also consider timing. Convertibles don't sell in winter, supercars in general don't sell well in winter in most regions, trucks sell better in fall, etc. If you don't need to sell it, wait till the market matches your price, IE list it in winter for $120k and wait till spring to get it when people are buying cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.