McLaren Life banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man I really want to get into a Mclaren, have always loved the brand but after reading these forums, having been warned by a couple technicians who service Lambos and Mclarens to stick with Lambo, and also my own brief experience with a 720S that went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 20mph...well it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence!

Despite all that I still desire to own one, and I'm curious if they seem to work out these quirks with the later production years of each model? For example, have the 600LT and 675LT generally been more solid examples of their respective platform in terms of build quality and quirks having been sorted? Or has it been just a bit of random luck across all model years and iterations as to whether or not issues will arise?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Man I really want to get into a Mclaren, have always loved the brand but after reading these forums, having been warned by a couple technicians who service Lambos and Mclarens to stick with Lambo, and also my own brief experience with a 720S that went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 20mph...well it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence!

Despite all that I still desire to own one, and I'm curious if they seem to work out these quirks with the later production years of each model? For example, have the 600LT and 675LT generally been more solid examples of their respective platform in terms of build quality and quirks having been sorted? Or has it been just a bit of random luck across all model years and iterations as to whether or not issues will arise?
limp mode or did you just hit the limiter on the right control stalk (common when using the vehicle lift)

Reactions: tb993tt

·
Registered
583 Posts
although the constant niggles and various alarms and check lights are very aggravating and wear you thin over time,the second to none driving experience makes up for a lot of it.
when all the stars align,it's pure driving bliss !
Now if mclaren got it's sh.. right with better after sales support then there would be no reason for this forum :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
limp mode or did you just hit the limiter on the right control stalk (common when using the vehicle lift)
Hmm, good question. That is entirely possible being unfamiliar with the car. I ended up restarting the car which I would imagine would cancel the limiter if that were the case as there were no issues after that. Besides that, I personally found the fit and finish to be on par with what I expected on the surface anyway. The car felt very well put together.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I put the Michelins Ps4s on after about a year, did make it better, but the F12 was not close to being what the 812 or 720s is to being able to put the power to the road. Don't get me wrong, some love that feeling when you push it and the back comes out. I just felt it was too much of being out of control if you were not experienced or not paying attention. The F12 was one of my cars (Wife, Friends, during drive out events, etc.), that I did not let anyone else drive it - as if you did not have experience, and it started to get away from you - specifically if you hit the gas to any degree coming around a corner.

The biggest reason I sold it, was literally during my last service (one week before the warranty ran out) and having tons of issues with issues with the car and at the time the turn signals were not working, and the right display was also not working. Drove it out of the Ferrari service after they fixed it (2 weeks in the service center), noticed the radio was not working correctly... Turned around and went back to service. Of course they had to schedule another service since they did not have the parts to fix it right then, and I didn't want to leave it for a few weeks until a new radio and control module was ordered. Took it back in 3 weeks, and Ferrari decided since I was now officially out of service (even though the dealer recorded it in their system) that I had to pay the 10K to fix the radio. The dealer helped out and I only paid 7K for parts. But that was the last straw, and really turned me off to the brand (after 20 years of owning several F cars and most recent ones were all new). The total bill of all the fixes to the F12 (under warranty and the one they denied would have been 50K in total). Lots of problems with the F12 (or the one I had). I sold it one week after I fixed the radio, as I was just done dealing with the issues, and it was a bit unstable as mentioned.
On cold tires, it is downright dangerous that's for sure. In regards to your experience, I would be soured on the brand as well. To be honest my Mac experience has been pretty darn good except for the dealer in Sterling VA. They ended being a F'ing awful.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes. Crappy quality so they charge you to insure against it. Charming business model!

But....the cars are so fun to drive (when they work).
they all have have the same model - ~$5k/year for support. Ferrari provding 7 years of service isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hmm, good question. That is entirely possible being unfamiliar with the car. I ended up restarting the car which I would imagine would cancel the limiter if that were the case as there were no issues after that. Besides that, I personally found the fit and finish to be on par with what I expected on the surface anyway. The car felt very well put together.
Lots of us have done this, it really freaks you out first time you do it it's very easily done by just nudging the stalk :D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
they all have have the same model - ~$5k/year for support. Ferrari provding 7 years of service isn't a bad idea.
its just another business model ... either pay more at beginning or pay sth. later if you decide to keep the car after 3 years ... don't think Ferrari does anything like a "free service" as its already priced in

Reactions: Capsfan

·
Registered
745 Posts
its just another business model ... either pay more at beginning or pay sth. later if you decide to keep the car after 3 years ... don't think Ferrari does anything like a "free service" as its already priced in
I am sure its priced in but its a good selling point especially for used cars that are still under this plan. Moreover, it helps dealers as it brings customers in the door and allows service to up sell.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Lambos are no doubt more reliable. The only problem, and additional cost, are the gold chains you have to wear on your hairy chest, and the requirement that you undo the top three buttons of your polyester shirt, when you drive one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Lambos are no doubt more reliable. The only problem, and additional cost, are the gold chains you have to wear on your hairy chest, and the requirement that you undo the top three buttons of your polyester shirt, when you drive one.
Have you been spying on me

81 - 92 of 92 Posts