McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Lol! I’m in rural Michigan.
More fun :) ... but don't be surprised if you read that ufo sighting in your area have extremely increased and some ppl reported, that they saw a little grey guy in some spaceship speeding down the highway ... 🤣

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
And to add - Ferrari's paint quality is DIABOLICALLY bad!!. There is not a Ferrari that doesn't enter a dealer that doesn't need 2 days of paint correction before its even close to its competitors. This issue has been going on for years and still no improvement. I rate this as the single biggest complaint regarding quality with Ferrari which is consistently bad
Friend of mine who owns a detailing company told me exactly the same ... some cars are so bad some of his customers actually send the bills for paint correction to their Ferrari dealer ...

·
Registered
431 Posts
One thing i can say, buying a mclaren new probably would be a huge mistake wt their depreciation ratio. Its unreal.
It is hard to put a price on the enjoyment gained from speccing your car exactly how you want it and knowing that no-one before you has abused it but it is nice that the depreciation allows people who can't afford the from new depreciation to be able to enjoy these epic machines.

·
Registered
259 Posts
More fun :) ... but don't be surprised if you read that ufo sighting in your area have extremely increased and some ppl reported, that they saw a little grey guy in some spaceship speeding down the highway ... 🤣
They all wave for me to stop to take pics or ask what car it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a potential owner these are threads I like to see. Ive read about quality issues but this goes a little more in-depth to the possible quality issues someone might find on a 720.

Im sure like others have mentioned it may just be a bad assembly shift that doesnt care but this with the warranty issues are somewhat of a concern. At this price id expect near perfection on assembly.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
As a potential owner these are threads I like to see. Ive read about quality issues but this goes a little more in-depth to the possible quality issues someone might find on a 720.

Im sure like others have mentioned it may just be a bad assembly shift that doesnt care but this with the warranty issues are somewhat of a concern. At this price id expect near perfection on assembly.
you should take a look at other much more expensive hand assembled things than cars (eg. luxury housing or yachts) I can assure you there are pages over pages full of quality issues at every construction/renovation project ... you take notes, you discuss what is within specification and what is not and you solve those things with your tenants/buyers ... Problems solved ... with these cars it’s just the same, and I don’t mean McLaren only ... however it of course becomes an issue if you buy them cheaply from 3rd parties who have zero knowledge or ability to fix the problems themselves ... or even worse tuned the cars and detained them again for resale or took them apart without knowing how to reassemble them correctly (eg. poorly performed wrap or ppf) ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to all that have posted on this thread. I’m considering a 720s vs F12 or 812 Superfast. Did an advanced session in a 600LT at a Pure McLaren event and the car was terrific on the track. Good to get perspectives from owners that have owned both marques. Seems like there is a lot of misinformation floating around. Separate topic that illustrates the example...I’ve owned 3 Jag F-Type R including my current SVR. Daly driven all 10K+ miles per year and they have been bullet proof. Had more issues with high end Mercs, BMW, and Audi’s that I’ve owned. So much for horrible Jag reliability...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I always say buy the engine. If that was what you’re looking at then 812 SF would be my choice. It’s an all time keeper. However, 720S is the best car in terms of performance and ties the Ferrari GTs for usability.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks to all that have posted on this thread. I’m considering a 720s vs F12 or 812 Superfast. Did an advanced session in a 600LT at a Pure McLaren event and the car was terrific on the track. Good to get perspectives from owners that have owned both marques. Seems like there is a lot of misinformation floating around. Separate topic that illustrates the example...I’ve owned 3 Jag F-Type R including my current SVR. Daly driven all 10K+ miles per year and they have been bullet proof. Had more issues with high end Mercs, BMW, and Audi’s that I’ve owned. So much for horrible Jag reliability...
I shopped the 720 vs the 812, myself. Very different cars, of course, but both so capable. Ultimately, chose the 812, which should arrive here in a matter of weeks. Would like to hear which you choose and why.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I shopped the 720 vs the 812, myself. Very different cars, of course, but both so capable. Ultimately, chose the 812, which should arrive here in a matter of weeks. Would like to hear which you choose and why.
made the opposite choice when ordered my 720s ... the 812sf felt too redundant to my SLS ... both front engine GTs and the 720s promised much more fun in handling and driving department plus it has the more spectacular appearance as a spaceship with these typical McLaren doors which you won’t find on any regular production Ferrari

·
Registered
65 Posts
made the opposite choice when ordered my 720s ... the 812sf felt too redundant to my SLS ... both front engine GTs and the 720s promised much more fun in handling and driving department plus it has the more spectacular appearance as a spaceship with these typical McLaren doors which you won’t find on any regular production Ferrari
Even considering a front engine car was a huge leap for me, but having already filled the mid/rear engine slot with 5 Porsches and a Ferrari.....

Ultimately - and, more importantly, though, I felt it was time to move on to a V12 before the govt-mandated hybrid and electric era laid waste to the NA 12. As a mid 12, the Aventador was the leading candidate until I sat in it. Too cramped in the cabin, so it was not an option. Thus, the 812.

Regarding the doors: I don't care which kind, just as long as they work. :cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Even considering a front engine car was a huge leap for me, but having already filled the mid/rear engine slot with 5 Porsches and a Ferrari.....

Ultimately - and, more importantly, though, I felt it was time to move on to a V12 before the govt-mandated hybrid and electric era laid waste to the NA 12. As a mid 12, the Aventador was the leading candidate until I sat in it. Too cramped in the cabin, so it was not an option. Thus, the 812.

When I sold my F12, I too considered the 812 vs the 720s. I think you will love the 812. After owning the F12, my biggest grip was: It could not effectively (and safely put the power down) and the suspension was also not firm enough for a car of that weight and power. When I test drove the 812, they corrected all those problems and more, as the Rear Steering, also made the 812 feel like a much smaller car. The 812 is what I hoped the F12 would be.

The 812 is a great car, maybe the last of the big V12 from Ferrari.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

its a bit sad that Ferrari never came back to a regular production mid engine V12 after the testarossa ...

·
Registered
263 Posts
seems everyone has different experiences and degrees of quality related issues regardless of mark. I have a friend that owns an 812 Superfast which has been back to his dealer on four separate occasions for various electrical issues. He was even very close to getting rid of the car but loved it enough to work thru the problems. So much so that he now has an 812 GTS on order. Having driven his car I can attest to how great it is and also on my wish list!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Other than a couple of quirky issues like random driver / passenger window opening whilst stationery in my garage for a couple of days, which I think is related to the battery charge level, I have no issues with the finish or function of my 570 GT. It could be the paint and interior has major MSO contribution - quality of paint and interior is fabulous - I have no concerns or complaints at all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all for the additional comments. Agree that 812 and 720 are completely different, and I doubt that either would disappoint. I race formula cars as a hobby, so my decision will boil down to whether I want to occasionally track one of my street cars for fun. If the answer is yes, I'll go with Macca. If not, will see some of you on the Ferrari forums...we are fortunate to face such "difficult" choices!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I have a 720S Spider and an 812 Superfast and I love them both. If I could keep only one it would be the 720S Spider. The 720S can do most of the job of the 812 but, at 650 pounds heavier & way bulkier, the 812 can’t replace the 720S. Behind the wheel the 720 feels like it’s half the size of the 812.

I have a deposit down on the 812GTS but with the diminished trunk space, and likely another 100 pounds of weight, the GTS will likely lose more round to the 720 in the “if I can only have one” argument. However it is entirely possible the sound of the V12 being more pronounced with the top (or back window) down might actually gain it some points there but I can’t see any way that it wins. I have a 430 Spider (manual) that is incredibly fun to drive and sounds absolutely AMAZING at 7,000-8,000 rpm and it still easily loses the “if I can only have one” argument to the 720.

I’m hoping I’ll never have to choose only one but I know I’d be happiest with the 720S Spider if it came down to that. It never fails to feel amazing whether you’re going around a track, carving through country back roads, or even crawling in rush hour traffic. The #1 must-have option: electrochromic roof - the best of all worlds: very tinted roof, very clear roof or no roof. Bowers & Wilkins upgraded stereo also a must.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts