McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Purchase price or whether you bought a car that sat on the lot for 2 years doesn't explain nor justify using different size torx screws or missing a few on the same part/panel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No excuses for poor quality control but in the scheme of things not a big deal. My new X1 BMW had to have all the injectors replaced within 6 months and the few Mercs I have owned have been horrible ito quality and reliability. My experience with Mac across a number of cars has been great but then again these minor issues phase me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 720S in March and 1500 miles later it is near flawless. My friend took delivery of a new Cayman GT4 at about the same time and is suffering from serious build issues (including a seriously loose dashboard). Such anecdotal evidence is hardly statistically significant but, from what I read and hear, 720S (and 570) build quality seems to have improved over the model's lifetime.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hello,

Yes, it often happens that cars are in stock for a certain period of time. My Mclaren dealer must have at least 25/30 new cars in stock, which is enormous for a small country like Switzerland (8 million people). The 3 year warranty starts when the car is registered, so I have 3 years in front of me...
if you speak from Schmohl Zürich, i dont think he has that many new cars in stock. More used once, trading in for the 765LT, or 720S spyder. I only can recomand the dealer and there service.
according to your fotos, is it the rear aerobridge you took off. maybe not everywhere screws are required.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
the fun of taking a handmade car apart from a wrap installer who wasnt the one who put the car together... obviously you will now get rattles. As far as missing screws, different size screws etc... thats odd for sure but not certain you wouldnt see this with other cars if you dismantle them the way you did yours. Its a hand made car. My prior Ferrari had similar issues when shop took doors apart to repair paint that was chipping. Are the missing screws even needed?

outside of minor items like cracked guerilla glass and faults which got repaired, my then delivered new 2018 which i am now approaching 3 years has been great.

only item i saw when delivered was a small bulge in the composite plastic panel near the passenger side windshield (panel near bottom right of front windshield) which ended up being a mold issue. Mclaren offered to fix which would have required panel replacement and paint rework which i wasnt comfortable doing as the lump is small. so they sent me some carbon bits. i dont even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ve had tons of cars wrapped with clear film, I never let them deinstall parts and to your point many times will never be the same. I laugh at some of my friends wrap their cars and pulled apart and sell the thing in a year or two .......nice car for the next guy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I’ve had tons of cars wrapped with clear film, I never let them deinstall parts and to your point many times will never be the same. I laugh at some of my friends wrap their cars and pulled apart and sell the thing in a year or two .......nice car for the next guy.
I have a shop that does PPF among other things and we take apart cars all of the time. You are right in that when we put them back together they are sometimes not the same and that's because we do it better. You wouldn't believe how many times we have to run to the Porsche, Lambo, Mac or Ferrari dealers for missing parts from the factory. You learn a lot of things about the mnfr's when you do this.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec 570 Spider replacement: 680S, or whatever it's to be called
394 Posts
I have a shop that does PPF among other things and we take apart cars all of the time. You are right in that when we put them back together they are sometimes not the same and that's because we do it better. You wouldn't believe how many times we have to run to the Porsche, Lambo, Mac or Ferrari dealers for missing parts from the factory. You learn a lot of things about the mnfr's when you do this.
@Capsfan, thanks for a look at this from a different perspective!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Capsfan, based on your experience, would you say McLaren build quality is any better/worse than Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Capsfan, based on your experience, would you say McLaren build quality is any better/worse than Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo?
If I had to rank I would say Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari and then McLaren but the differences between the latter are not far off. With Ferrari they do some Mickey Mouse things especially when you consider that the 458 platform has been used for 10+ years now. Moreover there cars are pretty darn basic from an electronic standpoint and still have battery issues. McLaren's are much more advanced technically. The panel fitments are better on the Ferrari but not always and the paint work on some of the Pista's and TDF's are atrocious. Any of the above can have issues, it bothers me when Mac gets picked on by people who have no experience other than hearing from someone else. This is not to say there has never been a lemon but that goes for all of them. Check out the threads on Fchat about 488 brakes completely failing, wheels falling off or paint wiping off, etc. I've seen threads where people show missing bolts on the Mac but it is possible a particular car was taken apart aftermarket and not put back together properly - who knows. I had two 720s and I loved them, now ready to pull the trigger on a 765. I also have a Pista and an F12 among others. With my Pista, the inside door panel didnt fit well, we had to pull it apart and put it back together properly. My door locks also stopped working. Hows that for a $460k car? With my F12 we had to pull out the rear grills and have them reinstalled so there wouldn't be any corrosion problems down the road. My GT3 had a seatbelt rattle that was easily fixed. Point is they all are susceptible to issues here and there. Dont be afraid to buy a 720.

·
Registered
119 Posts
And to add - Ferrari's paint quality is DIABOLICALLY bad!!. There is not a Ferrari that doesn't enter a dealer that doesn't need 2 days of paint correction before its even close to its competitors. This issue has been going on for years and still no improvement. I rate this as the single biggest complaint regarding quality with Ferrari which is consistently bad

·
Registered
741 Posts
And to add - Ferrari's paint quality is DIABOLICALLY bad!!. There is not a Ferrari that doesn't enter a dealer that doesn't need 2 days of paint correction before its even close to its competitors. This issue has been going on for years and still no improvement. I rate this as the single biggest complaint regarding quality with Ferrari which is consistently bad
It is really surprising how inconsistent and poor the paint is from car to car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

What's your opinion on the quality of manufacturing of the 720s? but also of the Mclaren in general.

I'm disappointed. I received 10 days ago my 720s (new with 60 kilometers, but production of the year 2018, I think).
I immediately noticed a small vibration on the left side. I took it to my trusted mechanic, who started disassembling
some panels, air intakes and bumper, to do a complete quality wrapping. He made many pics.

He found :

• Missing screws in several places (they just hadn't put the screw in)...
  • Misplaced joints (the vibration I felt)
  • A hole in the leather (behind the dashboard) made by a screw
  • Torx screws of different sizes, to hold the same part !
I find that at this price level it's scandalous, and above all I had an image of seriousness and clinic of the assembly line Mclaren.

And above all... here I'm talking about door panels and accessories, but if the rest of the car is also assembled this way....engine, chassis... etc... ???

• What are your experiences?
  • What do you advise me?
  • Your opinion?
Thank you
J.
I ll briefly share my experience with my 600 lt spider specced and purchased new by me
Key not recognized many many times
Key replaced twice w same outcome
Plastic trim on roof panel spontaneously fell off. They had to remove the roof to replace it resulting in very annoying vibration and noise . They only fixed it partially . Still noisy and vibrating on freeway
Check engine light on first time ( they had to change fuel pump module )
Check engine light on again and faulty traction control . It took them 6 weeks to figure it out and fix it
Finally when they brought me back the car they couldn’t get it off the tow truck bec it wouldn’t start lol
I had the car for 7 months 3 of which the car was in the shop
Needless to say mclaren bought back the car at full price
I ve heard horror stories from 720 owners
It ll b a long time before I get back to mclaren
Oh and btw that same car is back on the dealer lot for sale. I feel bad for whoever ends up buying it
Yes it’s under warranty but the inconvenience factor is huge
We r busy professionals that don’t have time for this bs

·
Registered
193 Posts
Porsches they are not. Ferraris they are not. Macs are fun, high performing cars built with great design, but they have obvious QC and QA issues at Woking. That said, the company is only 10 years old and is improving over time. No one buys a Mac expecting the build quality to match a Porsche or a Merc. You pays your money and you takes your choice!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I ll briefly share my experience with my 600 lt spider specced and purchased new by me
Plastic trim on roof panel spontaneously fell off. They had to remove the roof to replace it resulting in very annoying vibration and noise . They only fixed it partially . Still noisy and vibrating on freeway
Check engine light on again and faulty traction control . It took them 6 weeks to figure it out and fix it
Finally when they brought me back the car they couldn’t get it off the tow truck bec it wouldn’t start lol
Oh and btw that same car is back on the dealer lot for sale. I feel bad for whoever ends up buying it
eeks what color atleast so people can steer clear if they read this

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thats too bad, sorry to hear. Great car otherwise.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I had to rank I would say Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari and then McLaren but the differences between the latter are not far off.
I would agree with that ranking.

But I would say that Ferrari and McLaren are very close and it is hit or miss. I have had 6-7 F-cars (mid 90's through new). My Last 3 Ferrari's were honestly terrible. With the integrated electronics, quality issues, etc. I honestly sold due to out of warranty and didn't want the issues I had with all three during the warranty. Let me just say, I am nearly turned off from the F car brand. I will likely do another, but wow have I had issues with the last three modern F-cars. And also the service and time to repair has gotten worse over the years. Likely due to the amount of cars between when I started buying F-cars and now (numbers have increased dramatically) - and the TLC, and attention has faded because of this.

I have only had this one McLaren 720s, so no real comparison over multiple models, but I have been more satisfied with Mac than Ferrari - on attention, quality and responsiveness.

I do think that Porsche has it down: A) more volume, bigger dealer network, independents, maturity and quality. Lambo for me has also been rock solid on the 3 I have owned, as much as porsche - but if something does go wrong out of warranty, the cost is high (like Ferrari and Mac) - where porsche is not much more than Merc or BMW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel like Mclarens are hit and miss. Prior to purchase my 720s, the exotic shop we have locally warned me about quality issues and nonending electrical problems. He simply said “keep your huracan, its bulletproof and better value”. One of my friends bought a new 2019, and car is in shop nonstop. Cracked upper gorilla glass, then power steering failure, check engine light after 500 miles and suspension degraded code. After a year he sold for a huracan, he said he hated the experience and unreliability. After having my car few months, and 5k miles, i think i can safely say i dont regret. I only experienced few electrical issues like car throwing a suspension failure code and power steering failure. My interior is solid wt no rattles, quality is pleasant. Mclaren was always great each time wt their customer service in my local Mclaren dealer. One thing i can say, buying a mclaren new probably would be a huge mistake wt their depreciation ratio. Its unreal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I bought my McLaren new knowing I will be keeping it for a long time. If I bought it used, I’ll probably DD it. Then again I can buy a used one to daily.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts