McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What's your opinion on the quality of manufacturing of the 720s? but also of the Mclaren in general.

I'm disappointed. I received 10 days ago my 720s (new with 60 kilometers, but production of the year 2018, I think).
I immediately noticed a small vibration on the left side. I took it to my trusted mechanic, who started disassembling
some panels, air intakes and bumper, to do a complete quality wrapping. He made many pics.

He found :

• Missing screws in several places (they just hadn't put the screw in)...
  • Misplaced joints (the vibration I felt)
  • A hole in the leather (behind the dashboard) made by a screw
  • Torx screws of different sizes, to hold the same part !
I find that at this price level it's scandalous, and above all I had an image of seriousness and clinic of the assembly line Mclaren.

And above all... here I'm talking about door panels and accessories, but if the rest of the car is also assembled this way....engine, chassis... etc... ???

• What are your experiences?
  • What do you advise me?
  • Your opinion?
Thank you
J.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine seems screwed together OK, nothing's fallen off or come loose in 14K miles and 2 years..... engines are built by Riccardo and seem to be very robust. You've got your waranty if things come loose get them to tighten 'em up :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. these missing screws are hard to see without dismantling panels. What surprises me is the lack of seriousness of the assembly... don't put screws, or use 3 different torx for the same panel...not very serious...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hello. these missing screws are hard to see without dismantling panels. What surprises me is the lack of seriousness of the assembly... don't put screws, or use 3 different torx for the same panel...not very serious...
Yes I can see what you are saying, sounds terrible, I've not seen anything like that on mine because I've not had it apart.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pretty awful at this price point, or any new car for that reason. I personally like the fact cars are hand built, but in reality you need very, very good quality control at each step of the process which is a time issue as it cost money. I personally think the best thing for MAC is to get purchased by Mercedes, and they move to automation/robotics in the build process. The best humans will make errors, and no really good outcome because there’s defect rate will lean high vs automation just a fact.

Automation infrastructure very expensive, and they’re too far down the road to invest on their own. If they do partner with a big manufacture they need to keep their product design because they’re awesome cars. My 675LT is very well built, and I think they did a better job because of the 1000 car volume, and when you want to speed up production humans have to go faster/working over-time causes defects. Hope it all works out for you ............good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Maverick. I'm sure my car will be fine. But I find these kinds of discoveries are really bad for the customer's mind... and future choices.

2,598 Posts
They need to have better quality control it seems to be. I’ve not had these issues but have had a few niggles here and there ranging from my MP4-12C(which was very solid, just the headlights needed replacing)to my 650S and 3 720S(2 coupes and now Spider.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 720S had lots of problems. More then 8 different electonic faults. In addition to that I had also different hardware issues: Screen cracked. Cooling fluid issue. Whipers failed. Power windows failed. Power steering failed... The worst issue is the build quality. Panel gaps all around the car. Horrible. But I must say. Customer service from McLaren Zurich is just perfect!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
They seem hit or miss. Like there is a particular crew of bad apples on the production line who doesn’t take it serious.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hello,

What's your opinion on the quality of manufacturing of the 720s? but also of the Mclaren in general.

I'm disappointed. I received 10 days ago my 720s (new with 60 kilometers, but production of the year 2018, I think).
I immediately noticed a small vibration on the left side. I took it to my trusted mechanic, who started disassembling
some panels, air intakes and bumper, to do a complete quality wrapping. He made many pics.

He found :

• Missing screws in several places (they just hadn't put the screw in)...
  • Misplaced joints (the vibration I felt)
  • A hole in the leather (behind the dashboard) made by a screw
  • Torx screws of different sizes, to hold the same part !
I find that at this price level it's scandalous, and above all I had an image of seriousness and clinic of the assembly line Mclaren.

And above all... here I'm talking about door panels and accessories, but if the rest of the car is also assembled this way....engine, chassis... etc... ???

• What are your experiences?
  • What do you advise me?
  • Your opinion?
Thank you
J.
A new 2018 car being bought in middle of 2020? Surely, you received a large discount on the purchase, no?

What did the Mac dealer say?

If one buys a new car and there is a bunch of things wrong with it and the dealer says that no warranty and it comes as is and you have to live with the imperfections then that is a different story.

Not sure what advice you are trying to receive on the forums.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hello,

Yes, it often happens that cars are in stock for a certain period of time. My Mclaren dealer must have at least 25/30 new cars in stock, which is enormous for a small country like Switzerland (8 million people). The 3 year warranty starts when the car is registered, so I have 3 years in front of me...

·
Owner
479 Posts
Unfortunately, that is a reality. These cars are hand assembled and automation would be too expensive to consider as they would not be able to sell these cars for another 40-60% markup.

For the people that claim their cars are perfect, I would simply say that, while they may seem perfect, they are not. You guys just don't have a picky eye or don't have that much attention to detail. I have seen plenty of cars on the showroom floor and can point out dozens of imperfections - things that could have and should have been taken care of, before they are put on the floor.

Like some have said, you should make yourself familiar with your car and will most likely find a few other little things and then take it back and have them address all of them. They will.

After you get everything sorted out, you will fall in love w/the car even more.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Observing since 2011, it seems the general timeline of things is that the very early P11 units had a rough start with quality but rapidly improved through over the first few years. Then as McLaren ramped up volume with 570S and 720S, quality control took a nosedive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can attest to the fact that my 675lt is well built but I have never lifted the skirt to see what's under.
I will stay blind and enjoy this beautiful machine
Good you loving the ride. I’ve been under the hood and found no issues so far. I think they spent the time building 1000k special cars vs a big ramp up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Until my 4 post lift arrives with the C8 ordered, I’ll reserve judgement on the skirt. But the top looks perfect.

·
Registered
583 Posts
And once again the elitist is the only one to bring up the purchase price as a possible excuse for shoddy construction?
what does this have to do with the price of tea in china?
Spending a few seconds looking at the photos op supplied,you can clearly see that at least 2 of the panel photographed had a screw in them as some point!
who's to say that the dealer or someone else did not reinstall them??

1 - 20 of 92 Posts