McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only time the car really uses first is pull away. What I think would be good is at low throttle pull aways, the car changes automatically from 1st to 2nd even when in manual mode. This would really help with the paddle hunting when pulling out at junctions. Manual mode isn't fully manual anyhow, it changes down if you don't. Maybe even have it in manual mode in normal handling mode only. i.e. Around town 1st to 2nd is always automatic when handling is in normal mode.

Discuss ;-)

Andy M

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I think that's a reasonable idea Andy,i know what you mean if you are on full lock,you need second before you can take it ,to be smooth.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I wouldn't like it. I think the car will force a gear change anytime youre pushing the engine to stall.

You *cannot* upshift from 1st into 2nd unless you are over 2000RPMs, which annoys the heck out of me as the car will not stall and drive in 2nd even at a 5mph.

It will downshift all the way from 7th into first if you let the engine get close to stalling, which I'm ok with.

I like shifting from 1st to 2nd in manual personally, and would not welcome the loss of more control. I figure if you have it in auto mode, you can let it do that, and then over ride any other gear selections you prefer, no? Sorry, I don't ever drive in auto so I'm not sure how it kicks about.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be fair you can override in auto mode and use the paddles A/M displayed. It's only a minor issue, but it is a pain as you really need to change when the wheel's properly crossed up when pulling out at junctions. I normally push the down shift lever in a right turn, a lot easier.
I love the manual box and the engine loves short shifting, so sweet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts