McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got through the break in and took the car up to visit Road Atlanta on Saturday. I did not get a chance to change tires over to Corsa's so I was stuck with the stock P-Zeros.

Overall I was very impressed with the car. It is very quick and it took a few laps to get used to the car. Everything is very predictable. The car was very easy to place, feedback was really good and the brake steer wasn't as intrusive as I thought it was going to be. The only areas that I immediately noticed that I didn't like was the ABS system and the bolstering of the seats. It seemed to come on a bit early and was a bit more difficult to modulate than I am used to. I can also see if track duty was a big driver I would need to change out to the racing shells.

Even on the P-Zeros the car has incredible mechanical grip. I am used to driving cup and slick tires at Road Atlanta so I had to keep reminding myself to watch the grip levels. I could only run 2 or 3 laps before needing to cool the tires back down a bit.

Very impressive for sure. Looking forward to going back on proper rubber!

My compliments to the event photographer Eric @ awolphoto.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Very Nice!! My fav. track in the country. What have you driven before at that track?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Nice pictures, looks like good fun !

The 12C's ABS calibration is certainly an open issue which McLaren seems to simply ignore. Again, the latest test in sport auto (spider) says that the brakes are a fair bit behind the competition in terms of stopping power.
Hey McDc, I wonder if they aren't ignoring it, but rather continuing to collect data? I don't think all cars are behaving the same in this regard and brake performance obviously depends on a multitude of factors. I know members like gallardo also had issues with his ABS calibration. I have to say, I have not had any at all, whether my own car or McLaren supplied cars at various tracks, surface and weather conditions. Definitely, I have not experienced early engagement of ABS, even under maximum threshold braking. So my experience would be the polar opposite of what the OP felt and I wonder if there are specific conditions that uncover a calibration anomaly. Either that or perhaps some cars are shipping with defects or maybe the brakes were not bedded properly?

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I am lucky to have the same experience as 6th.. Indeed only felt the abs go once when I was about to miss an apex on last track day. I also put it down to the the tyres all round being decidedly second hand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brakes were bedded in properly. I think for me the issue was more related to how the ABS engages. If I completely slam on the brakes at slower speeds or do not modulate them correctly I expect the activate the ABS but as a general principal I try to just stay out of ABS. I do tend to trail brake depending on the corner type. The only place that I was noticing the issue was 10a at the bottom of a hill after a long straight and going into 1 at the end of a straight. It is quite possible I just need more time with the car to get a better feel for it.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I am lucky to have the same experience as 6th.. Indeed only felt the abs go once when I was about to miss an apex on last track day. I also put it down to the the tyres all round being decidedly second hand.
Same here,i thought it was streets ahead of my 997,which I could activate the abs at will,but hardly ever got it work on my 12c

·
Registered
560 Posts
i think better tires will help in all areas.
curious, did any cars give you a hard time at the track?
great pics BTW!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's the best way that I can think of to break in the car :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think better tires will help in all areas.
curious, did any cars give you a hard time at the track?
great pics BTW!
Not really a hard time, there were some fully prepped race cars that were very quick on track at the same time and a couple of less powerful momentum cars with slicks that could stay with me in the corners but the power of the car made anything that resembled a straight into an exercise of whiplash for anyone I was passing. It was a fun day......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the best way that I can think of to break in the car :)
Agreed, it was amazing how everyone came by was impressed that I would actually take it to the track. I tell everyone the same thing, that is what it is really built for.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got through the break in and took the car up to visit Road Atlanta on Saturday. I did not get a chance to change tires over to Corsa's so I was stuck with the stock P-Zeros.

Overall I was very impressed with the car. It is very quick and it took a few laps to get used to the car. Everything is very predictable. The car was very easy to place, feedback was really good and the brake steer wasn't as intrusive as I thought it was going to be. The only areas that I immediately noticed that I didn't like was the ABS system and the bolstering of the seats. It seemed to come on a bit early and was a bit more difficult to modulate than I am used to. I can also see if track duty was a big driver I would need to change out to the racing shells.
I hate I missed going to Raod Atlanta this weekend. Instead I was at Watkins Glen for our Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race. Next time you go maybe I can give you some coaching to get used to the McLaren over the cup car.

You will like the Corsas with the car. They will allow you to really run the car for a longer period of time without overheating compared to the PZeros Also the stiffer sidewall of the Corsa can be felt every where from how bumps are absorbed to turn in to putting the power down.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I have a friend that has driven on almost every track there is and recently went to Road Atlanta for the first time.

He felt Road America was #1 - Mac looks right at home!

·
Registered
219 Posts
the brakes are a let down to me on the track... at least the steel ones my car has. it's pedal feel and stopping power is just not up to par say with a PCCB on my RS 4.0. worst of all, i got a serious fade on the back straight of our small track travelling 180kph only after 3 laps. forumers say my brake fluid may have been compromised already so i'll try replacing that and head back some time before the year ends.

i always wonder now if i should have just gone with the CCBs, oh well.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I don't think anyone recommends tracking with CCBs due to the sheer cost of replacements. Maybe it would be best to just buy an aftermarket racing oriented brake set up is the stock steel brakes don't cut it. I'm not sure how that would affect the warranty of operation of things like brake steer etc. Worth looking into.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts