McLaren Life banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
133 Posts
Typically is it 1 of the 4 cam phasers that fail or do they all eventually require replacement? It would be painstaking to replace them as they fail.
The phasers typically are not making it past 30k miles. The mileage trend was realized by the rental exotic fleet cars. If you have one that fails, I would replace all 4. Not fun having to bite the bullet on a second repair attempt since the powertrain has to be extracted to perform the work

its 1 but you should change all 4 if you are doing it, phasers cost between 679-$832 each.
I think you are spot on pricing. We have seen a bad intake and exhaust phaser on the same bank. Some cars might never ever see the issue. The drive history of the car is a key factor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a loaner 650S and one time when I pulled into my garage, I made it a small trap of the accelerator just to hear the motor and it suddenly shut down and I got the same warning. Dealer never heard of such and issue. They said not to worry unless it recurs. It did not.

·
Vendor
133 Posts
I had a loaner 650S and one time when I pulled into my garage, I made it a small trap of the accelerator just to hear the motor and it suddenly shut down and I got the same warning. Dealer never heard of such and issue. They said not to worry unless it recurs. It did not.
Yeah you got that warning because of the abrupt engine shut down and electronics remained on. Not sure how the car would get agitated and shut down the motor from a throttle blip but it could be some wacky electrical gremlin that turned off the car (which would trip out the alarm). No need to worry unless it becomes chronic and usually something like this has a pattern.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Had this happen to me last night in my 2017 570s. Leaving the parking garage, we were in idle for about 20 mins or so making our way down the slopped garage when the low oil pressure warning came on. I have to say that it created quite the scar. 😂 pulled over into another parking spot and started trying to figure out what was going on. After checking oil level and temps stayed the same i came across this post. I turned off the AC and throttled up the car some in neutral. The eventually made the warning go away after about 3 mins. Came on one more time before we got out of the garage but then on the way home it never came back on again. Hope that was the end of that.

#rob20rx7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ironically I had the same alarm sound driving through the Rocky's last week. It was for the chassis control unit but after I rebooted the car it went away. Put my IT skills to use "did you try restarting your PC?". Lol. Love these cars. Even the little glitches.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Had this happen to me last night in my 2017 570s. Leaving the parking garage, we were in idle for about 20 mins or so making our way down the slopped garage when the low oil pressure warning came on. I have to say that it created quite the scar. 😂 pulled over into another parking spot and started trying to figure out what was going on. After checking oil level and temps stayed the same i came across this post. I turned off the AC and throttled up the car some in neutral. The eventually made the warning go away after about 3 mins. Came on one more time before we got out of the garage but then on the way home it never came back on again. Hope that was the end of that.

#rob20rx7
What mileage are you at?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts