McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday evening I was on the road with the fuel gauge showing above yellow but getting low, which I think was the reason for a nasty stumble at full tilt around 6,000 RPM in 2nd gear - it felt like I hit the rev-limiter, but I was way too low in the RPM range for that - I also saw the yellow engine symbol flashing like mad.
I filled her up last night and took her to my favored on ramp shifting at 8K up to 3rd, and she stormed off like a scaled cat - no stumble, hence my speculation that is was the low fuel level.

Has anybody else experienced this? Or could it have been the temperature? It was mid ninties on Saturday, but mid sixties last night...... scary either way :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup - lousy CA 91 octane, but at least I make an effort to get only Shell V-power

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
Could be the fuel - without catalogs it's hard to tell what's exactly happening. Is there any way to capture the CEL as it happens?

·
Registered
560 Posts
same thing happen to me. my car was cold and fuel was almost empty.
it was making a loud knocking noise at idle. I filled up and never heard the sound again.
dealer said it was very strange and couldn't figure out what happen

·
Registered
6 Posts
couple things

Low fuel levels can cause fuel pickup problems underhard accelaration. Pickup may also be getting residue in bottom of tank. Air bubble from sloshing around/any water from condensation or other sources will be at very bottom of tank and much more likely to be picked up by pump

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies - however, from the lack of 'me too' cries it appears this is a car specific problem - not very happy here :mad:
So either I have a case of bad fuel or one of the fuel pump pick-ups is sucking air.........

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
almost certainly bad fuel CA
California gas is very hard to make so you may have just a bit that was a touch off spec... shouldn't get through of course but sometimes things get contaminated also..

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
Could put in some race fuel super juice, but this could also mask other problems in timing, IATs, AFRs, etc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Surely there's a buffer between the tank pick up and injectors to cover intermittent fuel pick up? Can't believe Mclaren haven't got this one covered ;-)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Surely there's a buffer between the tank pick up and injectors to cover intermittent fuel pick up? Can't believe Mclaren haven't got this one covered ;-)
:eek: not had it happen either, but then again when the fuels lights on I tend not to be giving it the beans....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as I said, fuel was low, but not yellow. Something is definitely not right with my car, I will have it looked at next time it goes to the dealer.

What I find disconcerting with these kind of cars is that we could be way down in power and never know. Maybe the only way is to take them to the strip, determine a base figure, and go back a couple of times per year to check all the ponies are still in the stable.......

:eek: not had it happen either, but then again when the fuels lights on I tend not to be giving it the beans....:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts