McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Holy mother of all that is good and pure!

I bought this car having owned numerous Porsches, 944 Turbos & 911s, but never having actually driven a McLaren. I picked it up in Denver, then drove it back 900 miles, including a trip up Pike's Peak (hence this picture, at 14k feet....). The performance and overall experience in the car completely blew me away, this is like nothing I've ever driven before. Having read a lot of press reviews and watched several videos, the only one that comes close to matching the actual experience is the Chris Harris video. The engine performance is mind-blowing, the handling is indescribably fantastic (although I'm still a long way from finding its limits of adhesion) and despite all the nit-picking in the reviews I couldn't find a single thing to complain about, even in a minor way. The car performed absolutely flawlessly on the drive home, the Iris system worked perfectly, there was no problem with heat from the overhead glass, the suspension was perfectly tuned for both performance and comfort (I still can't quite believe how well it rides bumps in the road), and the directness and feedback from the steering has to be experienced to be believed. I was fully expecting to have at least a little buyer's remorse about handing over that many greenbacks for a car, but I can honestly say that so far I don't have a single regret, the car was worth every penny. I'd been prevaricating between the GT and the S, but I think either would have worked for me, any performance differences between the two are no doubt well beyond my ability to detect.

The amount attention the car attracts was also a bit of a surprise, despite all the warnings in the reviews, but absolutely every single interaction we had (and there were many, literally any time we stopped anywhere, and even while in motion) was completely positive. People friggin' love this car as much as I do. Another surprising thing was just how many kids knew what it was, which I assume comes from video gaming. One 9 year old was beside himself with excitement when I said he could sit in it at a gas station.

I believe I can now die happy.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
203 Posts
Congratulations and happy motoring! (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very well stated and exactly how I feel about mine. I have had my Volcano Red 570GT (from McLaren Denver) for about 2 years now and I still like it as much as the day I got it. It has been 100% reliable and NOTHING has ever broken or gone wrong on it. It is a truly great car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very well stated and exactly how I feel about mine. I have had my Volcano Red 570GT (from McLaren Denver) for about 2 years now and I still like it as much as the day I got it. It has been 100% reliable and NOTHING has ever broken or gone wrong on it. It is a truly great car.
I LOVE the Volcano colour. If I could have found one, that's the one I would have chosen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stuck my right foot down from a standing start for the first time last night. Holy crap! I thought my cousin in the passenger seat was going to pass out, I backed off because I could see his reaction out of the corner of my eye. It's difficult to imagine just how fast the 720 etc must be.

·
Owner
848 Posts
After 30 years of Ferraris, I am a convert. It 3 years in and it still never ceases to amaze me. There hasn't been a single time I have had it out that we haven't had our picture taken and interacted with everyone from kids to octogenarians. Every single encounter is positive. These cars make everyone smile.

More smiles/mile than anything I've had. Now if I had have only bought that F1 for $600K in 1999!

900 mile drive? Are you in Phoenix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts