McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got the MTC/MPC tour today. Absolutely fabulous - the facility is like everything you read about, but more so: clean, elegant, and a place for making anyone a true believer - we need to coin a new word/phrase for a McLaren fanatic (just as Ferrari guys are 'tifosi') because I am definitely now one!

Lots of highlights, but probably the most interesting was seeing the factory floor, now that they're up to 9 cars per day: THere were loads of cars in all stages of assembly (at least 100+ cars, although sadly I didn't see #581). What struck me was the obvious grouping of color choices; black was by far the single-most popular, followed equally by VO and VR, then all the variations on silver. I saw 1 green and 1 sapphire blue (absolutely gorgeous color). Fascinating variations of interior too - many of them were very striking but had me thinking about dashboard reflections etc as there were lots of tan/light-colored dash-tops.
In conclusion, at least for me, I came away very happy with all of my choices, and absolutely staggered by McLaren's commitment to this project. If and when it become possible to invest in this company, I'm in - it's a true showplace for technology and engineering skills that translate into usable works of art.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is very cool. the place just shouts "perfection" as soon as you walk in. seeing it in full swing must have been a treat.
What was the highest vin # you saw ? i would think they are above 600 by now :confused:
Its a shame about the colours all being similar, i though most people would go for Mclaren orange.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Did you happen to see a left hand drive MO car with alcantara and sports seats awaiting shipment. :)

The last financial articles pointed to McLaren continuing to raise private equity with a goal of eliminating their debt. I am sure a US raise amongst friends could raise a pretty penny.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just found out that mine is finished and awaiting shipment to the US! I'm guessing then that it will be in my hands within 3 weeks or so?
During my tour I also met Marcus from MSO, and he noted that my previous post about mods taking some time isn't really true and that most MOOS stuff only adds a couple of weeks to delivery; for example, thhe gloss black roof that I'm getting is done over in MTC immediately after the main body is painted in MPC, so minimal delay there. Given my good news on delivery, that evidently is true.
Regarding the highest number I saw, the McLaren VIN system is baffling to me; I looked at as many VINs as I could and they were all over the place, although I definitely saw lots ending in the 600s

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My Car is 833 and is built next Thursday 9th.

The vins are allocated in batches by geography according to a MSO guy but who knows? This could explain why there is a mix on numbers in production. I will ask when I visit next week.

If they are at 9 a day then say 40 a week, but they work short hours on Friday's, then if Texas saw 650 vin 3 weeks ago and my car is 833 it indicates cars are not built in vin sequence.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imola

Ferrari 458 Italia - Stig 1min 56.6 seconds

Okay what's the deal with that you are saying.. Nothing.. Just that..

A pole lap with a WTCC car is about a second faster (2009 must be said)

What could the MP4-12C or Aventador have done there if Stig would have got his hand on the 12C or the Ave.. If Dunsfold is anthing to go by then..Well.. Faster!

Curiosa for the club racing generation..

Cheers

Lukie

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, I finally got the MTC/MPC tour today. Absolutely fabulous - the facility is like everything you read about, but more so: clean, elegant, and a place for making anyone a true believer - we need to coin a new word/phrase for a McLaren fanatic (just as Ferrari guys are 'tifosi') because I am definitely now one!

Lots of highlights, but probably the most interesting was seeing the factory floor, now that they're up to 9 cars per day: THere were loads of cars in all stages of assembly (at least 100+ cars, although sadly I didn't see #581). What struck me was the obvious grouping of color choices; black was by far the single-most popular, followed equally by VO and VR, then all the variations on silver. I saw 1 green and 1 sapphire blue (absolutely gorgeous color). Fascinating variations of interior too - many of them were very striking but had me thinking about dashboard reflections etc as there were lots of tan/light-colored dash-tops.
In conclusion, at least for me, I came away very happy with all of my choices, and absolutely staggered by McLaren's commitment to this project. If and when it become possible to invest in this company, I'm in - it's a true showplace for technology and engineering skills that translate into usable works of art.
Look forward to your first impressions..I was curious about the black car observation and checked our registry for comparison..Although we now have only 7owners on registry..not a single black car. :confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Look forward to your first impressions..I was curious about the black car observation and checked our registry for comparison..Although we now have only 7owners on registry..not a single black car. :confused:
Well if this snow lets up enough to drive mine home on Tuesday I'll be the first of many Carbon Black to register then :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
my vin is 740 something, and rolled off last week.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well if this snow lets up enough to drive mine home on Tuesday I'll be the first of many Carbon Black to register then :D
I also spec' d carbon black. I had white spec'd since the beginning . I was fortunate to visit Jay Lenos collection this past fall and when I saw his black F1 I changed my spec. His f1 looked as current and relevant today as it did when launched in my opinion.The black and design stood the test of time ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts