McLaren Life banner

****LOOSE UNDERTRAY**** - check your cars!

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  extremeride22 
Sorry to dig up this old thread, But ..... today I accidentally dropped a marker pen in the engine bay and, it tumbled down some place into the engine bay area. I can't see anything ..... so I'm assuming that it's laying in the car's undertray. I'm thinking of going up to my dealership and have them remove the tray and find this item that I dropped. Is this a fairly quick procedure to remove the belly pan that's underneath the engine ??
Is the marker made of metal or plastic?, is it completely round or does it have a clip on it? The only reason I ask is a magnet might work, or maybe you could lift the front end and allow it to roll to the back. Of course you will have to undo a couple of fasteners, sounds like a pain in the old back side. What were you thinking of man, were you preparing to draw something. Lol.....

It's totally plastic. So ......... I guess I'll just let the dealer do it; I'm sure it's simple thing to do when you have a vehicle lift.:)
You could always remove the rear bottom plate then accelerate up a steep incline. You may also want to install a GoPro on the rear of your car to record the event, just to confirm your marker has been ejected from your car. After all that is done you could post it on Mac Life for all of us you view, good luck LimeyBloke. Cheers.....??

Lost a metal clip in a similar fashion and "removed" it with a fast left turn. There are openings to the undertray on both sides just inside of the rear wheels. See crappy iPhone photo below (and yes, I do clean the top side of my car):
That looks like one small hole for a marker to get through. I had another thought though put some super sticky tuck tape on each one of those openings then do what N8te did and maybe you'll catch the little bugger. If so you may be able to pull it through that small hole or you could remove the fasteners est voilà LimeyBloke has his marker back. Cheers....??

Thanks, guys !! :)
Lucky for me, my dealer is a 15 min. ride away ...... And, my compulsive side really wants to know that this plastic cap out and not just laying somewhere in the belly pan. Otherwise, with my damn luck it will be caught near a hot turbocharger and ignite !
I spent sometime trying to look in the engine compartment tonight, but to no avail. It's a jungle down there. All I got was a very sore back.
N8te ..... I did notice those openings in the side of the pan, when I looked through the spokes in the rear wheels. I just think I'll save myself time and aggravation and let the shop do it. Maybe they will take pity on an old bugger, lol:eek:
(p.s. this cap is roughly the size of a Bic lighter.)
Well your a lucky duck that your dealership is nearby, and hopefully they will show mercy on your unforeseen plight. Good-luck. Cheers......??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.