McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
that’s helpful, sounds like the first owner used it in a similar way. I’d likely also switch out for PS4S’s asap. Bit of a shame they are so new. But what I understand is that it greatly enhances the pleasure… no warranty issues with going to Michelin?
No warranty issues with going with Michelin.. No problem. Plus your car is probably out of warranty or will be soon, and before you buy an "extended" warranty, read up on what is covered, almost makes it not worth it.. Several threads on this topic. Mine just ran out this month, and I decided to "self fund" any warranty issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No warranty issues with going with Michelin.. No problem. Plus your car is probably out of warranty or will be soon, and before you buy an "extended" warranty, read up on what is covered, almost makes it not worth it.. Several threads on this topic. Mine just ran out this month, and I decided to "self fund" any warranty issues.
good to hear on the Michelin’s! Actually the previous owner extended the warranty by two years and is valid until Oct of 2023. Guess that gives peace mind. Though I’ll read up on what is covered and what not…. As that would worry me a bit..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don’t recall where it’s being purchased from so be aware that extended warranty are only transferable via either a private or McLaren dealer sale. If it’s a third party dealer you will loose it.
Good to know. Fortunately I will purchase from the original owner. His local Ferrari dealer (he got an sf90) is facilitating the deal. But I will get an invoice from his personal company under which he bought the car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
US owners can buy Generic Michelin PS4 in the right tyre size, in Europe it doesn't seem like you can, only Audi or Porsche specific ones, and having asked Michelin which is better for a 720, they wouldn't talk about it, which was very frustrating so I ended up going back onto P-zero -

as for the comment above on Pre-cut shapes for PPF, most of the high shops incorporate the right amount of overlap to go round the end of panels

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm just considering upping my budget to get a newer car with less miles.

There is a Lantana Purple one at McLaren Manchester (2 minutes from my house) with 11k on the clock, it's a 2019 car, pretty much the same spec as above with a few more extras including Exterior Carbon Pack 1 for £164k. I really wanted a black car, but I'm going to look at this one to see what the purple looks like in the flesh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
US owners can buy Generic Michelin PS4 in the right tyre size, in Europe it doesn't seem like you can, only Audi or Porsche specific ones, and having asked Michelin which is better for a 720, they wouldn't talk about it, which was very frustrating so I ended up going back onto P-zero -
So I called my local Mclaren dealer and here they indeed said that the Pirelli is considered as the tire to have and they will not install anything else. On installing PS4S's he said that basically you can do that but if anything breaks on the car that is attributable to a modification it could be that something doesn't get covered. He did say that he's never seen any issue that was attributable to tires... But the question is if you're engine blows are they going to try and blame it on your Michelins... Sounds nuts, but insurance companies will try anything...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So I’ve found another black one, it’s done 9700 miles which I think is perfect for a 2018 car. Enough to have all the issues sorted but not too many. Spec is a little better, the only thing with this one is that it has the 4 speaker stereo which I understand is garbage. It’s got ext carbon pack 1 and a few more extras.

ET0101AUDIO4 : Audio System - 4 Speaker
EX1504MC0005E : MSO Defined Ext Paint - Abyss Black
EX2201GG_DOORUPPER : Exterior Door Upper - Gorilla Glass
EX2801CARB_DM : Door Mirror - Carbon Fibre
EX2901SPEXH : Sports Exhaust
EX3101SHADWPK : Stealth Pack
EX3401CF_HOOD_VENT : Hood Air Intake – Carbon Fibre
EX4301CF_RRDECK : Rear Deck/Engine Covers - MSO Defined CF
EX4601CF_FRT_INTAKE : Front Air Intake - Carbon Fibre
EX5901CF_RR_SIDEINLET : Rear Fender Air Intakes - Carbon Fibre
EX9501SCLATCH : Soft Close Doors
IN0202PERF_001 : Perf Trim - Black Lthr/Alcantara
IN0401STD_ROCK : Sill Panel - Standard
IN0501ELECSEA : Electric and Heated Memory Seats
IN0601STD_SB : Seat Back - Carbon Black
IN1001ELEC_COL : Steering Column - Electric
IN1701CF_PRIMARY_COMP : Primary Interior Components - CF
IN1801CF_SECONDARY_COMP : Secondary Interior Components - CF
IN25010019LSW : Steering Wheel - Jet Black Leather
IN2602CF_SW_PADDLE : Steering Wheel Paddles - MSO Defined
IN3001SEATBELT_BLK : Seatbelt - Black
IN6001CF_DOOR_INSERT : Door Insert - Carbon Fibre
IN9701AMBI_LIGHT : Ambient Lighting
IN9801P1MPHCLUSTER : Instrument Cluster - MPH
PK0102PERF : By McLaren - Performance
PK2001MONO_DP : Visible Body Structure - Dark Palladium
PK3001PACK_EXT1 : Carbon Fibre Exterior Upgrade - Pack 1
PT010114_COUPE : McLaren 720S Coupe
PT0201MY2018 : 2018 Model Year
PT0301010R : Europe
PT0401010004L : Vehicle Specification - United Kingdom
PT0501RHD : Right Hand Drive
PT0601OMENG : Owners Manual - English
PT0701SYSL_ENGLISH : System Language - English (UK)
PT1001FLOORMAT : Branded Floor Mat Set
PT3501BATCHRG : Battery Charger - Lithium-ion
PT9701LUGGSTRAP : Luggage Retention Strap
PT9901433MHZ : 433Mhz Frequency for TPMS and Keys
SS0101PTS : Parking Sensors (Front and Rear)
SS0201PSREVCAM : Parking Sensors and Rear Parking Camera
SS0501ALARM_STD : Standard Alarm
SS0701SURRVIEW : 360 Degree Park Assist
SS1001SATTRAC : Vehicle Tracking System
SS1502VEHICLE_LIFT : Vehicle Lift
WB0101LWTFRGW_R_OPT : 10-Spoke Super-Lightweight Forged Wheels
WB0201WHLFIN_PGW : Wheel Finish - Stealth
WB0301CCMB : Carbon Ceramic Brakes
WB0401CALI_CLR_BS : Calipers - Black with Printed Logo
WB1001STD_TY : Tyres - Pirelli P ZERO
WB9901TPMS : Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have also heard the basic stereo isn't great, but can't comment myself, so I would suggest test for yourself see what you think. I can say that for the care the B&W upgrade is good though.
I think I’m being too picky in all honesty. I’ll probably make do with the standard stereo if the car has the right spec and miles which this one does.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
One more option, very well priced, 2021 car with 1,100 miles on it. I'm just not sure on the colour, it's got no sports exhaust and also a leather interior, but apart from that the spec is very good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Lots of carbon on their, as you say the only quirk is the leather interior but that seems minor. That said if your not keen on the colour you might never be truly happy?
No, I really do not like that colour on the photos, which is a shame as it's very well priced, I can't find another similar spec, miles and year for under £200k. I'm just wondering if the colour may look better in the flesh. Black is really the only colour I want to be honest. I think I'll try and negotiate on the 2018 car which is up for £158,990, if they will do a deal on that car I think it is the perfect spec for me, apart from the stereo, but that's not a deal breaker, I really only use the stereos in my car for background noise.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lots of colours look better in person so worth checking them out but if black is “your colour” I would say don’t settle for something else, you’ll only regret it.

The colour was the key to me picking up a 720s so I kept watching and when one came up jumped in 😀

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, I really do not like that colour on the photos, which is a shame as it's very well priced, I can't find another similar spec, miles and year for under £200k. I'm just wondering if the colour may look better in the flesh. Black is really the only colour I want to be honest. I think I'll try and negotiate on the 2018 car which is up for £158,990, if they will do a deal on that car I think it is the perfect spec for me, apart from the stereo, but that's not a deal breaker, I really only use the stereos in my car for background noise.
You can always put a wrap on it and make it any colour you like :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
You can always put a wrap on it and make it any colour you like :)
That was the other option, but then I'm looking at £7k for a good wrap. It's a tricky one, go for a car in a colour I'm not keen on, but one with a good spec, very low miles and newer, or go for an older car with more miles in a colour I really like.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That was the other option, but then I'm looking at £7k for a good wrap. It's a tricky one, go for a car in a colour I'm not keen on, but one with a good spec, very low miles and newer, or go for an older car with more miles in a colour I really like.
can't be that much. For a PPF yes, you'll pay that but a colour wrap is usually half that. Unless you're going to put a ppf under the colour wrap

Or our prices here in NL are way lower than the uk... You'll pay less than 3k euro for a full colour wrap of a car like this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
can't be that much. For a PPF yes, you'll pay that but a colour wrap is usually half that. Unless you're going to put a ppf under the colour wrap

Or our prices here in NL are way lower than the uk... You'll pay less than 3k euro for a full colour wrap of a car like this.
You are correct, it's around £2500 to wrap. Very interesting, that may change things...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Change my mind again. I've bought it, they sent me a video and the colour with the carbon actually looks stunning, very different, great spec on the car with low miles and a year old.

Very happy, I think it was the right decision, the price over the 2018 car ended up being £10k after adding the extended warranty, this comes with 2 years of factory warranty and a much better spec.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts