McLaren Life banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in a similar boat to Sam with scouting for a 720s. Do any of you see any (other potential) issues with an early 720s? One of the cars is Vin #214 with 8k miles and another is vin #2456 (same spec and mileage, just different colour with Saros vs Papaya spark) with about a 30k price difference. Not sure the newer car would be worth more as I assume they'll continue to depreciate similarly...

·
Registered
62 Posts
As you'll see from a number of other posts, cars with a decent mileage seem to have worked out the kinks, so not a bad thing and I'd say 8k is pretty low for an early VIN 2017? Assuming it's 4 years old 2k per year is pretty low.

The issue with a 4 year old would be manufacture warrantee has expired, so you're into extended warrantee if you want that piece of mind. Looking at service history of both cars will give you a good idea how each has been treated.
Its indeed a June 2017 car. I’ve asked my local Mac dealer for the full history. Indeed aware of the extended warranty and have asked if any is left. The other car is on extended warranty until late 2023.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So 2 years warranty extra on the newer car, I would ask for a quote for similar extension on older to give as sense of what that might add but I doubt it would add the 30k.

Without a warranty I would definitely get a third party inspection to make sure there’s nothing that needs fixing now.
assuming there is no warranty left on the car I’ve understood from my local Mac dealer that its 6k per year as (its more expensive after year 5). And indeed would plan to have the seller (Official Ferrari dealer) have an inspection perform at the Mac deal that is in the same city.

·
Registered
62 Posts
@cars4enjoying Thanks again for all the advice, I've put a deposit down on the black one, can't view it until it comes out of the body shop but it sounds like a good one, it's been bought and sold by the same McLaren dealer, only reason the previous owner sold is that he picked up a 600LT.

@Elmbo Good luck with the hunt!
Congrats on pulling the trigger! Add thanks! Lets see where we get. I'll post as soon as I pull the trigger as well :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
So quick update. The seller of the late 2018 (2019 model year) has accepeted my price offer. My feeling says to go with that... Any thoughts? Here is the optionlist and some pictures. Looks pretty fully loaded:

ET0101AUDIO12 : Audio System - 12 Speaker
EX0601RR_BRIDGE_CF : Rear Aero Bridge - MSO Defined CF
EX1504MC0003E : MSO Defined Ext Paint - Papaya Spark
EX2201CF_DOORUPPER : Exterior Door Upper - Carbon Fibre
EX2602CF_ROOF : Roof - Carbon Fibre
EX2801CARB_DM : Door Mirror - Carbon Fibre
EX2802CF_MIRRORARMS : Mirror Arms - MSO Defined Carbon Fibre
EX2901SPEXH : Sports Exhaust
EX3101SHADWPK : Stealth Pack
EX3401CF_HOOD_VENT : Hood Air Intake – Carbon Fibre
EX3701CF_SPLT : Front Splitter - Carbon Fibre
EX4001CF_RRBUMP : Rear Bumper - Carbon Fibre
EX4301CF_RRDECK : Rear Deck/Engine Covers - MSO Defined CF
EX4601CF_FRT_INTAKE : Front Air Intake - Carbon Fibre
EX5901CF_RR_SIDEINLET : Rear Fender Air Intakes - Carbon Fibre
EX6101CF_DIFF : Diffuser - Carbon Fibre
EX9501SCLATCH : Soft Close Doors
IN0202PERF_004 : Perf Trim - Scoria Grey and Orange
IN0401CF_ROCK : Sill Panel - Carbon Fibre
IN0501ELECSEA : Electric and Heated Memory Seats
IN0601STD_SB : Seat Back - Carbon Black
IN1001ELEC_COL : Steering Column - Electric
IN1701CF_PRIMARY_COMP : Primary Interior Components - CF
IN1801CF_SECONDARY_COMP : Secondary Interior Components - CF
IN2201CF_FASCIA_VENT : Fascia Vent - MSO Defined CF
IN2502CF_STEERINGWHL : Steering Wheel - MSO Defined CF
IN2602CF_SW_PADDLE : Steering Wheel Paddles - MSO Defined
IN3001SEATBELT_OR : Seatbelt - Orange
IN6001CF_DOOR_INSERT : Door Insert - Carbon Fibre
IN9701AMBI_LIGHT : Ambient Lighting
IN9801P1KPHCLUSTER : Instrument Cluster - KPH
PK0102PERF : By McLaren - Performance
PK2001MONO_CF : Visible Body Structure - Carbon Fibre
PK3001PACK_EXT1 : Carbon Fibre Exterior Upgrade - Pack 1
PK3002PACK_EXT2 : Carbon Fibre Exterior Upgrade - Pack 2
PK3005PACK_EXT3 : Carbon Fibre Ext Upgrade - Pack 3
PT010114_COUPE : McLaren 720S Coupe
PT0201MY2019 : 2019 Model Year
PT0301010R : Europe
PT0401010003L : Vehicle Specification - Germany
PT0501LHD : Left Hand Drive
PT0601OMGER : Owners Manual - German
PT0701SYSL_GERMAN : System Language - German
PT1001FLOORMAT : Branded Floor Mat Set
PT2001CARCVR : Car Cover
PT2501FIREEXT : Fire Extinguisher
PT3001ACCESSORIES : Warning Triangle and First Aid Kit
PT3501BATCHRG : Battery Charger - Lithium-ion
PT9701LUGGSTRAP : Luggage Retention Strap
PT9901433MHZ : 433Mhz Frequency for TPMS and Keys
SS0101PTS : Parking Sensors (Front and Rear)
SS0201PSREVCAM : Parking Sensors and Rear Parking Camera
SS0501ALARM_VOL : Volumetric Alarm
SS0701SURRVIEW : 360 Degree Park Assist
SS1001SATTRAC : Vehicle Tracking System
SS1502VEHICLE_LIFT : Vehicle Lift
SS9901HOMELIN : Homelink System
WB0101STDW : Cast Wheels
WB0201WHLFIN_PGW : Wheel Finish - Stealth
WB0301CCMB : Ceramic Brakes
WB0401CALI_CLR_BS : Calipers - Black with Printed Logo
WB1001STD_TY : Tyres - Pirelli P ZERO
WB9901TPMS : Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
62 Posts
PZero's were terrible for this car, my 2019 had 5.5K miles on them when I changed to M PS4S tires. I had about 35-40% left on them, but I could not get any traction when pushing it up through 3rd gear. So even though I could have probably put another 2-3K (US miles) on them and still had "tread life". It was to the point the car was no longer fun, and somewhat not safe to really get on it.

PS. I did not track, nor drive it like on a road track on the street. I did drive somewhat "fun" but not out of this world. So I would say that with the Pzero's that is not far from being off...
that’s helpful, sounds like the first owner used it in a similar way. I’d likely also switch out for PS4S’s asap. Bit of a shame they are so new. But what I understand is that it greatly enhances the pleasure… no warranty issues with going to Michelin?

·
Registered
62 Posts
No warranty issues with going with Michelin.. No problem. Plus your car is probably out of warranty or will be soon, and before you buy an "extended" warranty, read up on what is covered, almost makes it not worth it.. Several threads on this topic. Mine just ran out this month, and I decided to "self fund" any warranty issues.
good to hear on the Michelin’s! Actually the previous owner extended the warranty by two years and is valid until Oct of 2023. Guess that gives peace mind. Though I’ll read up on what is covered and what not…. As that would worry me a bit..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don’t recall where it’s being purchased from so be aware that extended warranty are only transferable via either a private or McLaren dealer sale. If it’s a third party dealer you will loose it.
Good to know. Fortunately I will purchase from the original owner. His local Ferrari dealer (he got an sf90) is facilitating the deal. But I will get an invoice from his personal company under which he bought the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
US owners can buy Generic Michelin PS4 in the right tyre size, in Europe it doesn't seem like you can, only Audi or Porsche specific ones, and having asked Michelin which is better for a 720, they wouldn't talk about it, which was very frustrating so I ended up going back onto P-zero -
So I called my local Mclaren dealer and here they indeed said that the Pirelli is considered as the tire to have and they will not install anything else. On installing PS4S's he said that basically you can do that but if anything breaks on the car that is attributable to a modification it could be that something doesn't get covered. He did say that he's never seen any issue that was attributable to tires... But the question is if you're engine blows are they going to try and blame it on your Michelins... Sounds nuts, but insurance companies will try anything...

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, I really do not like that colour on the photos, which is a shame as it's very well priced, I can't find another similar spec, miles and year for under £200k. I'm just wondering if the colour may look better in the flesh. Black is really the only colour I want to be honest. I think I'll try and negotiate on the 2018 car which is up for £158,990, if they will do a deal on that car I think it is the perfect spec for me, apart from the stereo, but that's not a deal breaker, I really only use the stereos in my car for background noise.
You can always put a wrap on it and make it any colour you like :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
That was the other option, but then I'm looking at £7k for a good wrap. It's a tricky one, go for a car in a colour I'm not keen on, but one with a good spec, very low miles and newer, or go for an older car with more miles in a colour I really like.
can't be that much. For a PPF yes, you'll pay that but a colour wrap is usually half that. Unless you're going to put a ppf under the colour wrap

Or our prices here in NL are way lower than the uk... You'll pay less than 3k euro for a full colour wrap of a car like this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Change my mind again. I've bought it, they sent me a video and the colour with the carbon actually looks stunning, very different, great spec on the car with low miles and a year old.

Very happy, I think it was the right decision, the price over the 2018 car ended up being £10k after adding the extended warranty, this comes with 2 years of factory warranty and a much better spec.
Congrats! Thats an amazing price for such a young car. I'm jealous of the prices you guys are paying in the UK. Here on the mainland they are quite a bit more expensive...
I've almost bought mijn as well. Getting contract on Monday and transport has been arranged!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you! The closest I could find with similar miles and age was £205k, and the spec was really missing on it, so this really seems like a very good deal. It only went up for sale last night so managed to get in there quickly. Also glad it still has 2 years factory warranty left on it. I pick it up next Sunday. The only thing it is missing that I really wanted is the sports exhaust, but worst case this can be added on by McLaren for £5200, or I could go aftermarket but don't want to risk warranty.

Congratulations as well!!
Thanks!

Looks like we might then get our cars at the same time. But mine needs to be transported about 1000 miles :) but hopefully will arrive next weekend. Factory warranty is indeed great. Fortunatly mine also has almost 2 years of extended warranty on it. Which also covers accumulators over here I've understood from my local dealer :). But original factory warranty is obviously always better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts