McLaren Life banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Thanks for that information, I did wonder what the Performance spec was. I'm going to put a refundable deposit on it to secure and go and take a look when it comes out of the body shop. I guess that fact it had 17,000 miles on it was worrying me, but I think I'd still prefer one with slightly more miles direct from McLaren rather than an independent dealer. It's got most of the spec I would want including the MSO paddles and sports exhaust, and the inclusion of a 12 month warranty, I think it's priced quite fairly looking what is currently available on the market. They did actually put it up by £5k since the weekend but have agreed to honor the original price. Funnily enough my daily driver is a BMW M5 and it has actually been quite problematic...

Yes, colour is reasonable important for me, I really want black which I know most that come up for sale are anyway. The rest of the spec on the one I'm looking at seems good, it's got lift, 360 camera, reverse camera, sports exhaust and a few other bits, so it's not completely base. Really it's just missing the carbon packs and a few other cosmetic bits which I'm not overly concerned about.

Looking forward to joining the McLaren club!
I wondered about the earlier BMW comment. There are several long-standing issues with their engines.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Nope it's very much an optional extra here in the UK unfortunately.

One thing to note for @samjlevy is that the 720s reversing camera system isn't great, two things bug me:
  1. Camera displays on main dash by default so if you're turning the wheel you can't actually see the camera output as its behind the steering wheel. There is a workaround however, switch the dash into track mode before putting the car into reverse and it will display the camera on the central console, which is much better.
  2. It doesn't have dynamic turning lines, which is common every other car I've had with a reversing camera.
They gave me a CLS450 while they're fixing my oil seal, and it has a 360 degree camera setup, which I have to admit is pretty impressive. Generally, I find parking sensors more useful than a reversing camera, although I don't think I'd want o have a supercar without a reversing camera on it just because of the extra risk if you get a minor scratch, not a big deal on most cars but a major disaster on a McLaren or similar.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Are the precut pieces of film large enough to wrap the edge of the panels?
Right. That's the issue with the precut pieces, they don't go all the way to the edge of the panel. They look good, but they're not fully protective. The ones I had replaced were not pre-cut, but they wrap all the way around the edge of the panel.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It is! It’s been built from the ground up, pretty much a brand new car, full rally spec, absolutely amazing, they’ve been working on it for around a year and it is pretty much finished now, it’s going to be entered in to a series this season.
That alignment gizmo looks interesting too. Do you mind sharing what it cost to have it aligned? I'm looking at $880 from McLaren....

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It is! It’s been built from the ground up, pretty much a brand new car, full rally spec, absolutely amazing, they’ve been working on it for around a year and it is pretty much finished now, it’s going to be entered in to a series this season.
They're about 5 miles from where I used to live!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It was £400 for the full alignment and has completely transformed the car, he’s done a lot of 720’s, wouldn’t trust my car with anyone else. I’m assuming McLaren will just set the car to their specification? This was a fast road / occasional track setup, not as aggressive as a full track setup, but it works for me as I’ll only do maybe 4 - 5 track days a year.
The three things I miss most about the UK are the beer, the curries, and the roads in Cheshire. I assume they've dialed in some negative front camber?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Lovely! I'm based in Alderly Edge so know it well!

In regards to camber, they dialled in some negative front and rear, 2.3 front and 1.8 rear I believe, with the toe set properly.
I recall one night when I got back late from a run down that road, and on the advice of the service guy at the Porsche dealer, I opened the bonnet on the 944 Turbo I had at the time and eyeballed the crosspipe going into the turbo, which was nearly transparent with heat! lol.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
looks fantastic.. i’ve just started a similar journey also in the UK. So, thank you for a great thread. It will be interesting to see what happens in the spring when everything opens up.

I think my spec is quite simple. Money says an17/18 car. A shade of Orange, 360 parking, left and sports exhaust.

Andy
Having recently experienced the 360 parking camera on a CLS 430, this has become a must have for any future car I own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.