McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I'm looking to buy my first McLaren, a 720s.

I've been browsing for a few weeks now, my budget is around £150k and ideally I want approved used from McLaren to get the warranty and peace of mind.

I've found one in that has taken my fancy, it's a 2018 model with 17000 miles on it for £142,900, maybe a little more miles than I initially wanted.

Below is the spec of the car, is there anything that is missing that is really essential?

720S COUPE
ONYX BLACK
"67" PLATE
17000 MILES

ET0101AUDIO12 : Audio System - 12 Speaker
EX1502SC0021E : Exterior Special Paint - Onyx Black
EX2201GG_DOORUPPER : Exterior Door Upper - Gorilla Glass
EX2901SPEXH : Sports Exhaust
EX3101SHADWPK : Stealth Pack
EX9501SCLATCH : Soft Close Doors
IN0206TECH_001 : 720S Trim - Black Alcantara
IN0401NO_SILL_FIN : Sill Panel - Carpet
IN0501ELECSEA : Electric and Heated Memory Seats
IN0501STDSEAT : Standard Seats - Manually Adjustable
IN0601STD_SB : Seat Back - Carbon Black
IN1001STD_COL : Steering Column - Adjustable (Manual)
IN1701CF_PRIMARY_COMP : Primary Interior Components - CF
IN1801CF_SECONDARY_COMP : Secondary Interior Components - CF
IN25010001LSW : Steering Wheel - Carbon Black Leather
IN2602CF_SW_PADDLE : Steering Wheel Paddles - MSO Defined
IN3001SEATBELT_BLK : Seatbelt - Black
IN6001CF_DOOR_INSERT : Door Insert - Carbon Fibre
IN9801P1MPHCLUSTER : Instrument Cluster - MPH
PK2001MONO_DP : Visible Body Structure - Dark Palladium
PT010114_COUPE : McLaren 720S Coupe
PT0201MY2018 : 2018 Model Year
PT0301010R : Europe
PT0401010004L : Vehicle Specification - United Kingdom
PT0501RHD : Right Hand Drive
PT0601OMENG : Owners Manual - English
PT0701SYSL_ENGLISH : System Language - English (UK)
PT1001FLOORMAT : Branded Floor Mat Set
PT9901433MHZ : 433Mhz Frequency for TPMS and Keys
SS0101PTS : Parking Sensors (Front and Rear)
SS0201PSREVCAM : Parking Sensors and Rear Parking Camera
SS0501ALARM_VOL : Volumetric Alarm
SS0701SURRVIEW : 360 Degree Park Assist
SS1001SATTRAC : Vehicle Tracking System
SS1502VEHICLE_LIFT : Vehicle Lift
WB0101LWTFRGW_R_OPT : 10-Spoke Super-Lightweight Forged Wheels
WB0201WHLFIN_PGW : Wheel Finish - Stealth
WB0301CCMB : Carbon Ceramic Brakes
WB0401CALI_CLR_BS : Calipers - Black with Printed Logo
WB1001STD_TY : Tyres - Pirelli P ZERO
WB9901TPMS : Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Thanks in advance,

Sam

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hello everyone,

So I'm looking to buy my first McLaren, a 720s.

I've been browsing for a few weeks now, my budget is around £150k and ideally I want approved used from McLaren to get the warranty and peace of mind.

I've found one in that has taken my fancy, it's a 2018 model with 17000 miles on it for £142,900, maybe a little more miles than I initially wanted.

Below is the spec of the car, is there anything that is missing that is really essential?

720S COUPE
ONYX BLACK
"67" PLATE
17000 MILES

ET0101AUDIO12 : Audio System - 12 Speaker
EX1502SC0021E : Exterior Special Paint - Onyx Black
EX2201GG_DOORUPPER : Exterior Door Upper - Gorilla Glass
EX2901SPEXH : Sports Exhaust
EX3101SHADWPK : Stealth Pack
EX9501SCLATCH : Soft Close Doors
IN0206TECH_001 : 720S Trim - Black Alcantara
IN0401NO_SILL_FIN : Sill Panel - Carpet
IN0501ELECSEA : Electric and Heated Memory Seats
IN0501STDSEAT : Standard Seats - Manually Adjustable
IN0601STD_SB : Seat Back - Carbon Black
IN1001STD_COL : Steering Column - Adjustable (Manual)
IN1701CF_PRIMARY_COMP : Primary Interior Components - CF
IN1801CF_SECONDARY_COMP : Secondary Interior Components - CF
IN25010001LSW : Steering Wheel - Carbon Black Leather
IN2602CF_SW_PADDLE : Steering Wheel Paddles - MSO Defined
IN3001SEATBELT_BLK : Seatbelt - Black
IN6001CF_DOOR_INSERT : Door Insert - Carbon Fibre
IN9801P1MPHCLUSTER : Instrument Cluster - MPH
PK2001MONO_DP : Visible Body Structure - Dark Palladium
PT010114_COUPE : McLaren 720S Coupe
PT0201MY2018 : 2018 Model Year
PT0301010R : Europe
PT0401010004L : Vehicle Specification - United Kingdom
PT0501RHD : Right Hand Drive
PT0601OMENG : Owners Manual - English
PT0701SYSL_ENGLISH : System Language - English (UK)
PT1001FLOORMAT : Branded Floor Mat Set
PT9901433MHZ : 433Mhz Frequency for TPMS and Keys
SS0101PTS : Parking Sensors (Front and Rear)
SS0201PSREVCAM : Parking Sensors and Rear Parking Camera
SS0501ALARM_VOL : Volumetric Alarm
SS0701SURRVIEW : 360 Degree Park Assist
SS1001SATTRAC : Vehicle Tracking System
SS1502VEHICLE_LIFT : Vehicle Lift
WB0101LWTFRGW_R_OPT : 10-Spoke Super-Lightweight Forged Wheels
WB0201WHLFIN_PGW : Wheel Finish - Stealth
WB0301CCMB : Carbon Ceramic Brakes
WB0401CALI_CLR_BS : Calipers - Black with Printed Logo
WB1001STD_TY : Tyres - Pirelli P ZERO
WB9901TPMS : Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Ha shame I didn't know this a month ago, I had a deal on a brand new spider and put my 2019 coupe on Collecting cars, then Mclaren decided they weren't making any cars this year and pulled all discounts on new cars- lots of swearing happened but thankfully mine didn't reach the reserve, if i'd have had a buyer lined up before it would have been in time to do the deal. to answer your question, take a good look at the gorilla glass for cracks, they are 3k to replace, the only ones to avoid from a resale point of view are the luxury spec (leather seats) as dealers will tell you, they just don't sell, you will be out of original warranty so budget for about 4k a year on warranty. if you can get one with the mclaren swoosh in sliver rather than orange, those are built after 2019 (if you see a 2019 car with a red swoosh its sat around in a warehouse for a few years).
Mainly its down to colour and spec and thats largely a personal preference thing, black cars don't seem to sell as well (autotrader is full of them) but if you like black thats all good (personally I think you lose a lot of the lines of the car in black).
142k for an 18 plate with that mileage seems about right if you like the spec,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha shame I didn't know this a month ago, I had a deal on a brand new spider and put my 2019 coupe on Collecting cars, then Mclaren decided they weren't making any cars this year and pulled all discounts on new cars- lots of swearing happened but thankfully mine didn't reach the reserve, if i'd have had a buyer lined up before it would have been in time to do the deal. to answer your question, take a good look at the gorilla glass for cracks, they are 3k to replace, the only ones to avoid from a resale point of view are the luxury spec (leather seats) as dealers will tell you, they just don't sell, you will be out of original warranty so budget for about 4k a year on warranty. if you can get one with the mclaren swoosh in sliver rather than orange, those are built after 2019 (if you see a 2019 car with a red swoosh its sat around in a warehouse for a few years).
Mainly its down to colour and spec and thats largely a personal preference thing, black cars don't seem to sell as well (autotrader is full of them) but if you like black thats all good (personally I think you lose a lot of the lines of the car in black).
142k for an 18 plate with that mileage seems about right if you like the spec,
Thank you for the response. That is a shame, I'd love to get one off someone on this forum. So the one I'm looking at is a 3 owner vehicle, it has just had the gorilla glass replaced and is currently getting the bonnet painted at McLaren for stone chips. It comes with a 12 month extended warranty included in the price as it is coming directly from McLaren Leeds. I'm a fan of black, I didn't really want a bright colour or white, so for me it's either black or grey. The spec I am not massively concerned about, really I just want sports exhaust and lift, I just wanted to make sure the resale wouldn't be hit too hard for having no carbon and not being a performance spec car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
performance spec is just Primary carbon pack one and few other toys, i wouldn't focus on that to be honest and on the darker colours like black a lot of the carbon exterior parts don't stand out much at all. on the resale sure some people want to buy a fully loaded every carbon bit you can get, but some don't, like yourself some just want to enjoy the car and any extra carbon is a bonus but not essential. some of the dealers are putting the prices of used cars up by 5-10k which is a bit cheeky, mainly because they know there is no new stock coming. if leeds is giving you 12 month warranty in the price then its going to be fine as they'll have checked it over, personally i'm not a fan of getting it from an independent, some people are fine with that though. with that mileage its been driven a lot so all the bugs will have been ironed out, first few thousand miles in mine was a nightmare, went back for lots of niggles, last 10,000 have been faultless. its not a BMW that will just never go wrong but equally its an amazing car and you'll love it. keep an eye on oil consumption they all use it. other than that not much to say if its Mclaren used approved etc.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I was shopping around the items on my list were:
  • The colour, my choice was Volcano Red and was the biggest driver for me personally
  • Spider vs Coupe, jump in price but wanted to the extra audio sensation from the engine with the top down and surprisingly the ability to lower the rear window, gives.
  • B&W sound system, big step up if you like your music
  • Lift, although I've never had cause to use it yet as the ground clearance is too bad, more than a friends Lotus
  • Reversing camera minimum but 360 would have been nice
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Carbon mirrors for the contrast with red
  • Electric adjustable comfort seats, so I don't have to play the seat adjustment game after the wife has been driving
  • Tracking, keeps the insurance cost down, couldn't believe £330 from Admiral.
  • 1 year min manufactures warrantee
Something I was looking for but wouldn't be deal breaker was Performance spec, as liked the Alcantara + carbon pack 1.

The model I ended up with had a few extra bits, mainly internal carbon pieces which was just bonus, a 2 year warrantee and single owner and low mileage, but not too low :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
performance spec is just Primary carbon pack one and few other toys, i wouldn't focus on that to be honest and on the darker colours like black a lot of the carbon exterior parts don't stand out much at all. on the resale sure some people want to buy a fully loaded every carbon bit you can get, but some don't, like yourself some just want to enjoy the car and any extra carbon is a bonus but not essential. some of the dealers are putting the prices of used cars up by 5-10k which is a bit cheeky, mainly because they know there is no new stock coming. if leeds is giving you 12 month warranty in the price then its going to be fine as they'll have checked it over, personally i'm not a fan of getting it from an independent, some people are fine with that though. with that mileage its been driven a lot so all the bugs will have been ironed out, first few thousand miles in mine was a nightmare, went back for lots of niggles, last 10,000 have been faultless. its not a BMW that will just never go wrong but equally its an amazing car and you'll love it. keep an eye on oil consumption they all use it. other than that not much to say if its Mclaren used approved etc.
Thanks for that information, I did wonder what the Performance spec was. I'm going to put a refundable deposit on it to secure and go and take a look when it comes out of the body shop. I guess that fact it had 17,000 miles on it was worrying me, but I think I'd still prefer one with slightly more miles direct from McLaren rather than an independent dealer. It's got most of the spec I would want including the MSO paddles and sports exhaust, and the inclusion of a 12 month warranty, I think it's priced quite fairly looking what is currently available on the market. They did actually put it up by £5k since the weekend but have agreed to honor the original price. Funnily enough my daily driver is a BMW M5 and it has actually been quite problematic...

When I was shopping around the items on my list were:
  • The colour, my choice was Volcano Red and was the biggest driver for me personally
  • Spider vs Coupe, jump in price but wanted to the extra audio sensation from the engine with the top down and surprisingly the ability to lower the rear window, gives.
  • B&W sound system, big step up if you like your music
  • Lift, although I've never had cause to use it yet as the ground clearance is too bad, more than a friends Lotus
  • Reversing camera minimum but 360 would have been nice
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Carbon mirrors for the contrast with red
  • Electric adjustable comfort seats, so I don't have to play the seat adjustment game after the wife has been driving
  • Tracking, keeps the insurance cost down, couldn't believe £330 from Admiral.
  • 1 year min manufactures warrantee
Something I was looking for but wouldn't be deal breaker was Performance spec, as liked the Alcantara + carbon pack 1.

The model I ended up with had a few extra bits, mainly internal carbon pieces which was just bonus, a 2 year warrantee and single owner and low mileage, but not too low :)
Yes, colour is reasonable important for me, I really want black which I know most that come up for sale are anyway. The rest of the spec on the one I'm looking at seems good, it's got lift, 360 camera, reverse camera, sports exhaust and a few other bits, so it's not completely base. Really it's just missing the carbon packs and a few other cosmetic bits which I'm not overly concerned about.

Looking forward to joining the McLaren club!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks for that information, I did wonder what the Performance spec was. I'm going to put a refundable deposit on it to secure and go and take a look when it comes out of the body shop. I guess that fact it had 17,000 miles on it was worrying me, but I think I'd still prefer one with slightly more miles direct from McLaren rather than an independent dealer. It's got most of the spec I would want including the MSO paddles and sports exhaust, and the inclusion of a 12 month warranty, I think it's priced quite fairly looking what is currently available on the market. They did actually put it up by £5k since the weekend but have agreed to honor the original price. Funnily enough my daily driver is a BMW M5 and it has actually been quite problematic...

Yes, colour is reasonable important for me, I really want black which I know most that come up for sale are anyway. The rest of the spec on the one I'm looking at seems good, it's got lift, 360 camera, reverse camera, sports exhaust and a few other bits, so it's not completely base. Really it's just missing the carbon packs and a few other cosmetic bits which I'm not overly concerned about.

Looking forward to joining the McLaren club!
I wondered about the earlier BMW comment. There are several long-standing issues with their engines.

·
Registered
158 Posts
you'd be hard pushed to find one without sports exhaust, later models its actually standard, but only a barebones spec wouldn't have had that even in 2018, lift and 360 are must haves for me (360 automatically includes rear cam)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Reversing cameras are options here, just another way to sting you for a few hundred quid extra - ok BMW/Toyota insert any major manufacturer etc i was making the point that these aren't mass produced and therefore years of experience and so relatively few issues

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much Dave.

Looking forward to finally being a 720s owner!

Funnily enough I was actually looking for an AMG GTR, but they have crept up in value to a point where it makes sense to spend the extra on a 720s, and let's be honest, there is no comparison between the two really.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thank you very much Dave.

Looking forward to finally being a 720s owner!

Funnily enough I was actually looking for an AMG GTR, but they have crept up in value to a point where it makes sense to spend the extra on a 720s, and let's be honest, there is no comparison between the two really.
not even close, you'll love the 720, i'll upgrade to a spider when they start making new cars again and realise that asking list on a 5 year old design once the chip shortage has gone is not realistic

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is the reversing camera not mandated in the UK? Every car in the US has to have it. It's another solution looking for a problem, like TPMS.
Nope it's very much an optional extra here in the UK unfortunately.

One thing to note for @samjlevy is that the 720s reversing camera system isn't great, two things bug me:
  1. Camera displays on main dash by default so if you're turning the wheel you can't actually see the camera output as its behind the steering wheel. There is a workaround however, switch the dash into track mode before putting the car into reverse and it will display the camera on the central console, which is much better.
  2. It doesn't have dynamic turning lines, which is common every other car I've had with a reversing camera.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Nope it's very much an optional extra here in the UK unfortunately.

One thing to note for @samjlevy is that the 720s reversing camera system isn't great, two things bug me:
  1. Camera displays on main dash by default so if you're turning the wheel you can't actually see the camera output as its behind the steering wheel. There is a workaround however, switch the dash into track mode before putting the car into reverse and it will display the camera on the central console, which is much better.
  2. It doesn't have dynamic turning lines, which is common every other car I've had with a reversing camera.
They gave me a CLS450 while they're fixing my oil seal, and it has a 360 degree camera setup, which I have to admit is pretty impressive. Generally, I find parking sensors more useful than a reversing camera, although I don't think I'd want o have a supercar without a reversing camera on it just because of the extra risk if you get a minor scratch, not a big deal on most cars but a major disaster on a McLaren or similar.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in a similar boat to Sam with scouting for a 720s. Do any of you see any (other potential) issues with an early 720s? One of the cars is Vin #214 with 8k miles and another is vin #2456 (same spec and mileage, just different colour with Saros vs Papaya spark) with about a 30k price difference. Not sure the newer car would be worth more as I assume they'll continue to depreciate similarly...

·
Registered
212 Posts
As you'll see from a number of other posts, cars with a decent mileage seem to have worked out the kinks, so not a bad thing and I'd say 8k is pretty low for an early VIN 2017? Assuming it's 4 years old 2k per year is pretty low.

The issue with a 4 year old would be manufacture warrantee has expired, so you're into extended warrantee if you want that piece of mind. Looking at service history of both cars will give you a good idea how each has been treated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh also, unlike other cars, I would say you really need the charger if you don't have one already.

Even when "fully charged" the dash will tell you 45 days of standby charge left and that seems a little conservative with it dropping quicker than that if you don't drive. Why is that, I believe it's down to the fact its smaller lithium battery, with less capacity and the car seems to be more sensitive about being let run out of juice, with a few posts on these forums about having to replace components after they let the battery run flat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As you'll see from a number of other posts, cars with a decent mileage seem to have worked out the kinks, so not a bad thing and I'd say 8k is pretty low for an early VIN 2017? Assuming it's 4 years old 2k per year is pretty low.

The issue with a 4 year old would be manufacture warrantee has expired, so you're into extended warrantee if you want that piece of mind. Looking at service history of both cars will give you a good idea how each has been treated.
Its indeed a June 2017 car. I’ve asked my local Mac dealer for the full history. Indeed aware of the extended warranty and have asked if any is left. The other car is on extended warranty until late 2023.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts