McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new here. Looking to buy a 12C spider. What options are a must have? Looking at a Volcano orange with carbon fiber interior option, steal brakes, lifter. Wanted the ceramics, but there wasn't too many with that option. Selling my 911 turbo PDK with 650hp EVO package. Car is awesome, but I think the 12c will be better. Anything I should ask? Or should look for? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The paint is soft so a lot of owners wrap their cars.

Satnav Mk2 is , maybe, a need to have with Bluetooth phone.

Some like the electric heated seats but the manual have electric height adjustment.

Rest is about individual taste. Wheels are soft but light.

VO shows the body contours and looks great under sunshine .

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint is soft so a lot of owners wrap their cars.

Satnav Mk2 is , maybe, a need to have with Bluetooth phone.

Some like the electric heated seats but the manual have electric height adjustment.

Rest is about individual taste. Wheels are soft but light.

VO shows the body contours and looks great under sunshine .
Soft on the paint? Okay, what about putting a full clear 3m cover on hood nose behind tires ect? That should take care of chipping? Right? So, if the car I am looking at has the sat and nav that is worth while opinion. How are the standard brakes? They don't fade on track?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I went around the Ring, as a passenger, with McDc and his steel brakes were amazing at ballistic speed. For me I think they are OK as long as you let them rest at intervals.

I'm not really qualified to be definitive as I have only done 2 track days but lots of miles on tour in the Alps, Dolomites and Scotland where the brakes were fine.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Re the wrap. Front including bonnet and wings. Sills at double layer. Vanes inside and out plus leading edges. I would also wrap the doors if I did it again but I tour in the mountains a lot where there is road debris ago go.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
identical to my car,and no comparison to a tuned 997tt,cannot go wrong with what RIC says,get them to upgrade to iris2 and its a 2014 spec car,good luck,you will not be disappointed.

·
AliB
51 Posts
From a UK perspective on specification, here would be my top tips:
Volcano Orange would look great with:
-Stealth or Diamond cut alloys, any really, but Lightweight design1 are personal preference.
-Stealth pack
-Black brake callipers
-Lifting
-Black interior, Alcantara/Leather or just All leather
-Orange stitch to dash
-Carbon Fibre interior upgrade - seems to be the only "must have" bit of carbon options
-Electric seats - on Spider it is in my book a must as when you drop the roof on a cold but sunny day it really keeps your back and bum nice and toasty!!
-Parking sensors
-Tyre pressure system
- IRIS, if it is a used car and it still has system1, no worries, you could try to negotiate the cost of the System2 upgrade into the deal, but the upgrade is an easy retro-dealer fit and worth the money.
- Sport exhaust is lovely on Spider but can again be retro-dealer fitted for not too much more than factory cost from new.

The paint work can be easily protected with 3M film like you and my friend RIC say.
I hope this helps with your choices and Have a great time once you have found your new Spider.

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought a 2013 VO with carbon engine covers optional wheels upgraded nav 14 spec 1000 miles. Will post pics of car latter. Looking forward to getting her! Heard nothing but good things about the 12c. Will give you my impression when I driver her.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bought a 2013 VO with carbon engine covers optional wheels upgraded nav 14 spec 1000 miles. Will post pics of car latter. Looking forward to getting her! Heard nothing but good things about the 12c. Will give you my impression when I driver her.
Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS! You won't be disappointed! Curious to hear your thoughts about the 12c compared to some of the other cars in your stable.

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS! You won't be disappointed! Curious to hear your thoughts about the 12c compared to some of the other cars in your stable.
Thank you so much! I will give you my thoughts when I get some seat time in 12C.

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other question I have is how to turn air bag off to take my 9yr old son with me?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!

Mine has most of the car wrapped in clear. One thing to consider is the windshield is easy to get small chips from FOD, no matter how far you are behind other traffic. With no real grill work to shield the large windshield you WILL get some chips. I am looking into windshield protection, film or application and maybe you should consider this as well.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Not bad Kenric,you don't take long to make up your mind !! 10 HOURS,impressive,good job we didn't put you off.Out at the moment so not sure where to look for the airbag shutoff.
Enjoy !!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congratulations!

With the list of your past cars in your sig, you will LOVE this 12C.

I also recently made the jump and have been very pleased with not only the car, but also EVERY McLaren dealer that I have visited. SF was ok, but Phily, Dallas, and Tampa were all extremely impressive as far as the people there! Total opposite of the Ferrari scene.

Best of luck and hope you get to drive often!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Kenric,

Congrats on your purchase. Mine is almost completely wrapped. I find that the windshield gets rock chips fairly easy as there is not much protection from the low rise hood and front facia. You may want to consider some type of windshield protection.

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is pic of car I bought on Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks Mint Buddy..
The beautifull thing about these crazy obsessions is that they are like all forms of racing.... There is NO LIMIT to what you can spend. :)
So get your thinking cap on and personalize your ride before it leaves the dealer..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts