McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's a cartel. All the dealers sell exactly the same policy at exactly the same price.
also i’d like to point out that after to spending time talking to multiple McLaren owners that indeed it’s a common thread that Mac’s are problematic cars. I think the blame falls on poor QC from the factory. But I will never accept people who say modern McLarens are more reliable then let’s say Huracan’s.

ok, time to end this thread now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't see how they can sell you a car as "new" when it is not new. If your paperwork says it is "new", then I'm pretty sure that is the date the warranty must start. Could be different in different states, though.

What does CarFax say about it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my opinion. Most of your issues are due to the car been placed at the showroom for prolong period of time. During these 2 years dealer could have placed the car under direct sunlight etc therefore sticky button, contrails separating, headliner issue and flat spot tyre. Crack windshield is a common 600LT issue due to thinner glass used and the curvature of the glass. The only faulty part i’ll say is the rod.
Having said all these, i would recommend that you buy extended warranty. Not because the car is qc poorly but mclaren parts are generally expensive. So if anything happen to break which is common for all brands of car unless you drive a Toyota or Porsche. It makes more sense with the warranty then.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
600LT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
In my opinion. Most of your issues are due to the car been placed at the showroom for prolong period of time. During these 2 years dealer could have placed the car under direct sunlight etc therefore sticky button, contrails separating, headliner issue and flat spot tyre. Crack windshield is a common 600LT issue due to thinner glass used and the curvature of the glass. The only faulty part i’ll say is the rod.
Having said all these, i would recommend that you buy extended warranty. Not because the car is qc poorly but mclaren parts are generally expensive. So if anything happen to break which is common for all brands of car unless you drive a Toyota or Porsche. It makes more sense with the warranty then.
Hope this helps.
Thank you, yes I drive Porsche too, very very reliable car. What surprised me is that I saw another 600LT for sale with mileage on it and it had the headliner and contrail issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you, yes I drive Porsche too, very very reliable car. What surprised me is that I saw another 600LT for sale with mileage on it and it had the headliner and contrail issues.
i would not denied that Mclaren is not the best built quality automotive out there. they are fairly young company and everything is sub out with very short working relationship. i guess we just need to give them time. but... their dealers are screwing them up. even in south east asia. terrible.

·
Registered
600LT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
My 600LT had it's headliner replaced too. lol. And that stupid moulding on the top of the door (by the window) popping up. I have a 720 now, and wouldn't you know it, same moulding on same side popping up
Thank you, it's they third 600LT to my knowledge that exhibit this issue.

What floored me is that the replacement part from McLaren was not better, they had to allow a local company to "extend" it.

That said they were very quick to authorize under warranty both part and labor.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Drove the car on Sunday... I can hear loud metal vibrations at 4,000rpm when the engine is cold temp bars show green, I meant not red hot like 40 minutes in... Not even 2 weeks out of the shop.
Does it go away when the engine is warmer ? I get metalic vibrations at 4k but will gradually lessen as things warm up. Nothing too bothersome for me at least, figure it's a quirk or feature ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last Jan 2022, I bought a brand new 600LT, sticker 305k, got a great discount (cheaper than used) since the car has been sitting for 2 years in showroom.

I'm super happy with the car but...
Windshield cracked
-Replaced under warranty with "gen 2"
Car had heavy vibration in steering wheel
-Replaced "Tie Rod" under warranty
Then had some slight vibrations
-Had to buy a new set of tires (Not covered by warranty even at 1,500 miles)
Middle console buttons were sticky
-Replaced center console under warranty
The two contrails were separating on the roof
-Replaced both under warranty
Then the headliner started to recess out of the door seals
-Replaced the headliner under warranty

Now Jan 2023 is coming up and I'll have to buy an extended warranty, but I am conflicted. Should I keep the car? Is this normal to face this many issues? Every time the car went into the shop I thought it would be the last repair, lost the car for weeks at a time...

Market is still good for used 600LT, Mclaren is asking 8,800$ next two years warranty. Suggestions input from owners, or Mclaren experts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last Jan 2022, I bought a brand new 600LT, sticker 305k, got a great discount (cheaper than used) since the car has been sitting for 2 years in showroom.

I'm super happy with the car but...
Windshield cracked
-Replaced under warranty with "gen 2"
Car had heavy vibration in steering wheel
-Replaced "Tie Rod" under warranty
Then had some slight vibrations
-Had to buy a new set of tires (Not covered by warranty even at 1,500 miles)
Middle console buttons were sticky
-Replaced center console under warranty
The two contrails were separating on the roof
-Replaced both under warranty
Then the headliner started to recess out of the door seals
-Replaced the headliner under warranty

Now Jan 2023 is coming up and I'll have to buy an extended warranty, but I am conflicted. Should I keep the car? Is this normal to face this many issues? Every time the car went into the shop I thought it would be the last repair, lost the car for weeks at a time...

Market is still good for used 600LT, Mclaren is asking 8,800$ next two years warranty. Suggestions input from owners, or Mclaren experts?

Thank you.
Boudah, I heard about a 720GT that was in the shop for a total of 293 days in 2 years. I believe they traded it in, received $64k and transferred the lease to a Spider. All good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man I wish I knew about these little nagging things, the car is so temperamental.
it’s normal, one of the tow drivers for McLaren told me it’s a normal issue with the 600LT (maybe even 570s?) to have vibrations in the engine (he said they couldn’t figure out why it happens).

I’d like to point out that these small issues are normal and seem to be somewhat common with McLarens in general. I hate it when people blindly deny McLarens have problems as if we’re attacking the brand by saying that. I’ve seen threads here where people flatly deny that McLarens are any different then Porsches or Ferraris etc. I’m sorry they have quality and build issues, i’ve been embarrassed countless times taking friends for rides and my car would no recoginize the key in the car (super not cool).

But in the end, I will always stand firmly on the side of McLarens being one of the top cars i’ve ever driven, a sublime driving experience like no other.

·
Registered
600LT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
it’s normal, one of the tow drivers for McLaren told me it’s a normal issue with the 600LT (maybe even 570s?) to have vibrations in the engine (he said they couldn’t figure out why it happens).

I’d like to point out that these small issues are normal and seem to be somewhat common with McLarens in general. I hate it when people blindly deny McLarens have problems as if we’re attacking the brand by saying that. I’ve seen threads here where people flatly deny that McLarens are any different then Porsches or Ferraris etc. I’m sorry they have quality and build issues, i’ve been embarrassed countless times taking friends for rides and my car would no recoginize the key in the car (super not cool).

But in the end, I will always stand firmly on the side of McLarens being one of the top cars i’ve ever driven, a sublime driving experience like no other.
Thank you, this is one of the most helpful feedback. Roger on the vibration. Like you said if someone had told me it was "normal" then I would have crossed it from my list. I drove Aston Martin too and they have their share of issues, the upside is the dealership recognize them as well as the community.

I'm struggling a bit with my dealership as the service has been sub-standard. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Thank you, this is one of the most helpful feedback. Roger on the vibration. Like you said if someone had told me it was "normal" then I would have crossed it from my list. I drove Aston Martin too and they have their share of issues, the upside is the dealership recognize them as well as the community.

I'm struggling a bit with my dealership as the service has been sub-standard. I'll keep you updated.
All the LT models have a LOT more vibration than the other models. The suspension mounts are different, the engine mounts are different, and the insulation is removed. I really would like a 765LT, but even if I had the funds for one I doubt I'd get one because after sitting in it with the engine running for a couple of minutes it was clear that it's designed for the track, not for comfort on the road.

I've had my share of b/s from the dealers, too.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts