McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes, its common. But when we do it, the car still leaves with a full factory warranty. But allocations, bonuses, and other incentives are heavily focused on number of units sold. This doesn't apply to just Mac.

I know, but it's cut short. As one person said, dealer should pick up the remaining cost or whatever it is to try and negate the lost warranty. You guys have do what you guys have to do to eat, but that doesn't mean i want a buy a brand new car that was sitting as "sold" for 6 months, now i have 30 vs 36 months of warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
What happens when the dealership lists a car as sold, and it sits on the lot for another 6 months or a year, gets test driven by people, and accumulates say 50 miles? Do they still sell it as “new” even though when the new owner registers it, it would be a used car? And who do they list it as sold to if they don’t have a buyer and are just looking to get allocations/bonuses? I don’t fully understand it, but something about it doesn’t seem on the up and up to me.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I know, but it's cut short. As one person said, dealer should pick up the remaining cost or whatever it is to try and negate the lost warranty. You guys have do what you guys have to do to eat, but that doesn't mean i want a buy a brand new car that was sitting as "sold" for 6 months, now i have 30 vs 36 months of warranty.
This is how it works in the entire industry of cars in USA. You're probably getting a discount anyways on a "punched car" and six months of lost warranty is a small dollar amount of lost warranty anyways.

fwiw; this is how mac charlotte is the #1 dealer in sales for the last few years -:)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
What happens when the dealership lists a car as sold, and it sits on the lot for another 6 months or a year, gets test driven by people, and accumulates say 50 miles? Do they still sell it as “new” even though when the new owner registers it, it would be a used car? And who do they list it as sold to if they don’t have a buyer and are just looking to get allocations/bonuses? I don’t fully understand it, but something about it doesn’t seem on the up and up to me.
If it has 50 miles on it, you don't have to buy it, although I'm not sure why that matters so long as it's not damaged or dirty. The only thing that would concern me was if I was listed as the second owner, or if the warranty was due to end early.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
This is how it works in the entire industry of cars in USA. You're probably getting a discount anyways on a "punched car" and six months of lost warranty is a small dollar amount of lost warranty anyways.

fwiw; this is how mac charlotte is the #1 dealer in sales for the last few years -:)
It's not even just the car industry. Other companies will "ship" stuff to their parking lot to include the sale in the month or year.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
If it has 50 miles on it, you don't have to buy it, although I'm not sure why that matters so long as it's not damaged or dirty. The only thing that would concern me was if I was listed as the second owner, or if the warranty was due to end early.
That’s kinda what I am getting at. Who is the original owner when a dealership does this?

As for the mileage, it could matter as to how the engine was broken in, as I am not sure about how McLaren does it. I follow a very strict procedure when breaking in new motors, and I would do the same with a McLaren as I would a $30k superbike motor, so to me those miles would matter. But you are right, I don’t have to buy it.

·
Registered
600LT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to hear you have had that many issues. I haved owned my 600LT since new 3 years and 2 weeks to the day. Issues have included a broken hose clamp thus leaking colant on my garage floor, times where it can't locate my key, front end vibration which is cured when they rebalance the front tires, and a airbag fault light that they replaced the airbag module. I just bought the 2 year Mclaren extended warranty from my authorized dealer where I bought and service the car at for $7,300.00. Love my car plus not sure what I would buy to replace it. My car has 6,300 miles.
Thank you, I will keep the car till December then re-evaluate.

·
Registered
600LT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
honestly all of those things are just small QC issues. Annoying yes, but i think i'd be more annoyed if it was motor/trans related stuff. Right now i have a 720, and i'm thinking to sell it and get back into a 600LT i love that car so much. So maybe i'm the wrong person to ask. lol.

P.S Any chance this car is green?
It's vermillion red

·
Registered
600LT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's a lot of issues and would definitely leave a bad taste in my mouth. However, I agree with the others who said keep it, get the warranty and hope all the major issues have been worked out. If you keep and continue to issues, may be time to part ways with it. Is your servicing dealership local or does the car have to be shipped every time?
Alright, that's the plan, unless the car and up in the shop again before the end of the year I'll keep it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if you like the car, just keep it. The 600LT is a magnificent car, I miss mine dearly (it sold in 3 days).

But defiantly buy the extended warranty that’s covered by McLaren not some third party. The McLaren official extended warranty is easier to live with

·
Registered
39 Posts
also i’d like to point out that after to spending time talking to multiple McLaren owners that indeed it’s a common thread that Mac’s are problematic cars. I think the blame falls on poor QC from the factory. But I will never accept people who say modern McLarens are more reliable then let’s say Huracan’s.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts