McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a second hand mp4-12c and located in New York area. Would you guys be able to guide me to a decent one with decent price please? I am open to any option but prefer carbon fiber upgraded interior and more subtle color for daily drive (so I can blend in a little). Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're near NYC, there is a McLaren dealer in Greenwich CT. Might be a good place to start. A few folks here have bought from them. I had asked the forum for some feedback in a thread not too long ago:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/2282-mclaren-greenwich-miller-motorcars.html

Good luck,

-NH4.
Thank you very much for your reference. If you don't mind me asking which part of North Shore are you from? It is pretty when I visited there in the fall few years back. Have you thought about how to service your mp4-12c given there is so little numbers of dealership? Thank you again for your time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the pros and cons of buying a press car? Thank you in advance for all of your help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought from mclaren Greenwich end of April and am on north shore, they will com and flat bed your car for servicing. Pm me and I will give u th scoop on them.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
What are the pros and cons of buying a press car? Thank you in advance for all of your help.
Press cars generally get driven hard and put away wet by everyone who gets a turn. It's not the type of car that I'd be eager to purchase if I were in the market for a 12C unless there was a steep discount or extended warranty coverage.

>8^)
ER

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Clover - I live in New Hampshire, so servicing is certainly one of the concerns I have as well. As mentioned earlier though, if you go through the dealership in CT, they will truck the car back and forth. I'm sure there is a price associated with that service though!

Last I looked the CT dealer did have a few cars available under the McLaren CPO program that was announced a bit ago... If you search the forum or Google I believe you'll find a thread / links with the details.

-NH4.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Press cars generally get driven hard and put away wet by everyone who gets a turn. It's not the type of car that I'd be eager to purchase if I were in the market for a 12C unless there was a steep discount or extended warranty coverage.

>8^)
ER
If you don't mind me asking, at what kind of steep discount from MSRP? Say a couple of thousand miles and slightly below 300k. Please pm me if you don't want an open discussion. Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clover - I live in New Hampshire, so servicing is certainly one of the concerns I have as well. As mentioned earlier though, if you go through the dealership in CT, they will truck the car back and forth. I'm sure there is a price associated with that service though!

Last I looked the CT dealer did have a few cars available under the McLaren CPO program that was announced a bit ago... If you search the forum or Google I believe you'll find a thread / links with the details.

-NH4.
I heard a few people in New Hampshire have already purchased their mp4-12c and never look back. Do you think Herb Chamber will open their own Mclaren franchise? If so, you will be taken care of due to the proximity.

·
Owner
893 Posts
clover,
Keep in mind that once your warranty is over ...... You will be paying for the back and forth transport to a distant dealership, for repairs; which might be more likely with a hard driven 'press car'.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
clover,
Keep in mind that once your warranty is over ...... You will be paying for the back and forth transport to a distant dealership, for repairs; which might be more likely with a hard driven 'press car'.
Solid advice. Aren't these cars pretty bullet proof? Are press car more dialed in? What constitute a press car? Photo shoots, journalist driven on road or track,...etc. Thanks again for your input.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Solid advice. Aren't these cars pretty bullet proof? Are press car more dialed in? What constitute a press car? Photo shoots, journalist driven on road or track,...etc. Thanks again for your input.
I've always thought that those press cars, just by their nature, are regularly beat on pretty hard. :confused:
As far as the 12C being bullet proof ...... Most likely!
But, in the last 10 years ..... I've found that most cars (I've had) were bulletproof.:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What would you think it's the worst color for resell? I personally found Mclaren orange to be the most desirable follow by Volcano Orange and IMO the black color tend to hide the lines on any sport car. I am Sorry if the black color opinion offended to any owner with that color. Thank you guys for your honest replies.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What would you think it's the worst color for resell? I personally found Mclaren orange to be the most desirable follow by Volcano Orange and IMO the black color tend to hide the lines on any sport car. I am Sorry if the black color opinion offended to any owner with that color. Thank you guys for your honest replies.
I hear what you're saying. Ferrari red for the 458 color is the color for that car. And in black it's just muted. Still AMAZING, but the 458 was born to be in red.

That said, I'm really not a fan at all of volcano orange. It's an amazing color in person; lot of depth and play in the light, but the overall impression doesn't do it for me. I like mclaren orange, very bright.

That, said, for the Mac, black is my favorite color. Not surprisingly, that's what I got. Silver is my second favorite color. On the Mac, it just makes it look a bit more menacing, and to me, its character comes out a bit more.

Also, the bright color contrast with the black intake, etc, makes it look less menacing in the bright colors.

Another car, I was very surprised, that I liked better in black (just saw it the other day) a black R8 10 extra with a dark grey blade, looked EPIC. Not sure why as I generally like that car best in white or silver with darker grey blade.

Anyway, colors are very subjective things. What's most important is you get the color that makes you happiest. And I suspect that will vary greatly.

I suspect silver/black will be most popular in the states, but would love to get the actual stats...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear what you're saying. Ferrari red for the 458 color is the color for that car. And in black it's just muted. Still AMAZING, but the 458 was born to be in red.

That said, I'm really not a fan at all of volcano orange. It's an amazing color in person; lot of depth and play in the light, but the overall impression doesn't do it for me. I like mclaren orange, very bright.

That, said, for the Mac, black is my favorite color. Not surprisingly, that's what I got. Silver is my second favorite color. On the Mac, it just makes it look a bit more menacing, and to me, its character comes out a bit more.

Also, the bright color contrast with the black intake, etc, makes it look less menacing in the bright colors.

Another car, I was very surprised, that I liked better in black (just saw it the other day) a black R8 10 extra with a dark grey blade, looked EPIC. Not sure why as I generally like that car best in white or silver with darker grey blade.

Anyway, colors are very subjective things. What's most important is you get the color that makes you happiest. And I suspect that will vary greatly.

I suspect silver/black will be most popular in the states, but would love to get the actual stats...
I agree. Black on Mclarens looks much better than black on Gallardos. Is it harder to keep a black car clean? I think silver hides dirt much better.

·
Registered
914 Posts
black and silver would be my last choice for the MP4.... yellow, orange, red, all volcano....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts