McLaren Life banner

Looking for a 650S

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SixSeven.Five 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I introduce myself I am French and new to the forum and the McLaren universe. I owned an R8 V10 Plus MkII and would like to switch to McLaren from now on. So I am looking for a 650S Coupe or Spider and I need you to help me. I have always owned coupes (I often prefer the line) but here I must say that the Spider appeals to me quite a bit. I would like to hear your opinion between the Coupe and the Spider if you had to choose (pros and cons).

About the rims, in my purchase I would like to know the price of this set of rims which for me totally changes the look of the car:

Most of the models are fitted with the other rims which I personally find less sexy.

And obviously being new, if some known issues with the 650S were listed I would be happy to hear about them. Thank you all in advance for your answers 🙏

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello everyone, I introduce myself I am French and new to the forum and the McLaren universe. I owned an R8 V10 Plus MkII and would like to switch to McLaren from now on. So I am looking for a 650S Coupe or Spider and I need you to help me. I have always owned coupes (I often prefer the line) but here I must say that the Spider appeals to me quite a bit. I would like to hear your opinion between the Coupe and the Spider if you had to choose (pros and cons).

About the rims, in my purchase I would like to know the price of this set of rims which for me totally changes the look of the car:
Welcome!

When I was looking for my 12C, I first looked at a Spider, as that's the way that I was leaning. Unfortunately, it felt claustrophobic for me (1.8m, 85Kg), as there was a lot less space around my head than in the Coupé. I also preferred the Coupé's parcel shelf (behind the seats), which allows for better speaker placement, although it doesn't make a lot of difference once moving. For me, the lines are nicer, as is being able to see the engine better. For the 12C, it also allowed me to get swipe doors :)

The wheels are super lightweight. I didn't like any of the others either. I've seen them available, secondhand,. at $3-4k (US and UK), although I don't know about the French market. I took my time to find a car with lots of CF (I got all of the non-MSO CF options) and super lightweight wheels. Bonne chance with your search!

#3 ·
The wheels are super lightweight. I didn't like any of the others either. I've seen them available, secondhand,. at $3-4k (US and UK), although I don't know about the French market. I took my time to find a car with lots of CF (I got all of the non-MSO CF options) and super lightweight wheels. Bonne chance with your search!
Thanks a lot for the info. I will try to find one as always with the least possible compromise. For the wheels, what are the dimensions for the 650S. When it comes to tires, I understand that many of these fit in Pirreli and not in Michelin?

#4 ·
McLaren's Spiders are also very stiff (like the Coupé) and the additional weight is very low. You can therefore concentrate exclusively on your personal taste without having to deal with possibly inferior driving characteristics. That is the positive aspect of this story.

I am very similar to rnixon. I personally chose a Coupé because I'm simply not a "convertible guy", I do not need the "warm summer wind stroking through my hair" (which almost never exists in Switzerland anyway) ;). And (and this is the main reason) I like the line/design of the Coupé better. I also don't like the roof mechanism, which you always see when it's closed. However, the Spider has the advantage that you can lower the rear window separately, which increases the sound experience a bit.

Regarding the wheels, the super lightweight wheels are a must for me also, I wouldn't compromise on that.

The 650S is considered as an extremely solid McLaren. Look, as with all used cars of all brands, on a good maintenance history, there are possible problems fixed. Good luck with the search and have fun!

#8 ·
I have a spider because there’s barely any downside to it. I am not a convertible guy at all, but rolling the back window down is huge to me. The sound with rear window down is night and day. It really increases the experience of the car. On any regular car i would always chose coupe but with the stiffness of the cf tub and it being a hard top, hard not to go spider, no?
I do think the coupe is sexy as hell though so I totally understand the choice Good luck!

#9 ·
The main advantage of the coupe (to me) is if you track it, there is an aftermarket harness bar so you can affix a 6 point harness. The Spider does not have the same option. The other is that the coupe has a better rear roof-line.

That said, I'm happy I went with the Spider. It gives more smiles per mile with the open roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.