McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm still on the prowl and I came across this listing on ebay-click here for a nicely optioned supernova silver. I have attached the sticker ($311k) and carfax report.

What do you all think? It seems nicely optioned (looks to have every box checked in fact!) and has a clean car fax and low mileage. I called the broker located in New York and he said the car is owned by his friend, a Mclaren enthusiast.

Did anyone purchase their vehicle via ebay from a non-mclaren dealer or through a 3rd party broker? Any advice would be appreciated. Perhaps someone happens to know this vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since it is an early VIN, you might want to get the service history from the dealer to make sure that the many update campaigns have been performed, or will be performed under warranty if you buy the car.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Depends on the price, but my guess is that the car is fine. Can get a PPI if you'd like I suppose. Just go fly out and take a look at it.

Only thing to consider is that it looks like it is a very early car with low mileage, and so it's almost done with 2 years of the 3 year warranty. If you get it, make sure you put some miles on it in the next year. It's not uncommon in any brand of car for little issues to develop early on and you probably want to address any issues before the warranty is up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
The e-bay listing says the car is in Mamaroneck, New York which is only 20-25 minutes from the McLaren dealership in Greenwich. If you go ahead with it I would make the sale conditional on a full check-up from them. Maybe call Miller (the Greenwich dealer) and ask how much it would be to have a car brought in to do the same set of checks they do to get a car listed as 'McLaren Qualified' (the CPO program).

http://www.greenwich.mclaren.com/ -- I've talked to Peter in sales, but not the service dept. Others on the forum have recommended them though.

-nh4.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Nice Mac - doesn't get any better.

Only thing that I would address is clear bra.

Make sure there isn't a bunch of road rash on the car - then have clear bra installed.

Other than that - buy it / have it shipped and drive it a LOT!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Judging from the VIN that's one of the very first cars brought into North America. The early cars all have much lower quality of fit and finish. They also have the very stiff paddles, which were quickly changed by the factory because everyone complained about them. Paint quality on early cars was also somewhat questionable. I did a lot of research before buying my car and I ended up with a "leftover" 2012 new car. I essentially bought a brand new car for a used car price. I bought mine at Beverly Hills but I'm sure other dealers have cars as well. I was there a week ago getting the Platform 12 update and they had a 2012 leftover car in silver. I think Dallas has one as well or at lease they did a few weeks ago when a friend was looking.

Personally, I'd stay away from such an early production number car. Everyone gets better with practice, even when building a car!!

~ CaliMac

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hey Cali. You know, I think a few other left overs can be had, and the price difference is around 5-10k off a low mileage 2012. You have to look at each of the mclaren dealer's own websites, but I did this about 4 weeks ago, and there were still about 10 out there. I would negotiate on those with the dealers and have the car shipped. Again, that's if "new" is a premium for you.

Also, agree re: tending to want to get later models. I would guess going for VINs with 1000+ numbering, generally should be helpful.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
That car has every option pisible on it and that is rare. Most cars are in the $260k range. If its still under warranty buy it, have fun, never look back.

All early car issues mentioned above are covered under warranty and will be repaired at no cost to owner. The stiff paddles you will have to live with however.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
One of the Herb Chambers dealerships outside of Boston has a 2012 with ~700 miles on it listed for 198k. To my eye the dark brown interior against the black exterior is.... unfortunate, but if you don't mind it, it may be a good deal. They've had this car listed since May or so. The price has come down once or twice, but clearly they are having trouble moving it.

http://www.herbchambersfordofwestborough.com/used/McLaren/2012-McLaren-2012+MP4-12C--Westborough-71064ed90a0a00b563e469c2a404ad76.htm

-nh4,

·
Owner
893 Posts
Offer them $175k cash deal and steal it !! Winter is coming in the northeast, they won't want to hold it; it will only bring them even less money come next spring, when it's older and closer to the end of the warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Offer them $175k cash deal and steal it !! Winter is coming in the northeast, they won't want to hold it; it will only bring them even less money come next spring, when it's older and closer to the end of the warranty.
It's above that price with 2 days left - every single option is extremely rare.

My guess reserve is above 215 and have never heard of early car issues in the US.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
One of the Herb Chambers dealerships outside of Boston has a 2012 with ~700 miles on it listed for 198k. To my eye the dark brown interior against the black exterior is.... unfortunate, but if you don't mind it, it may be a good deal. They've had this car listed since May or so. The price has come down once or twice, but clearly they are having trouble moving it.

http://www.herbchambersfordofwestborough.com/used/McLaren/2012-McLaren-2012+MP4-12C--Westborough-71064ed90a0a00b563e469c2a404ad76.htm

-nh4,
It may look better in person. I've noticed that the carbon/black interior leather photographs poorly. Sometimes it comes out looking like a GM style washed out leather look. In person, it looks nothing like that. It's a function of some dynamic range issues on the camera, I think. Particularly when a flash is used.

Point is, it may look better in person.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ALCANTRA!!! (C= Sweet
lc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice. Some really good input here. I asked the broker for service records as Dennis here had suggested and got this reply: "The owner does have the upgrade certificate. He guarantees it. It was only in for one service and the upgrade and he has all records."

Perhaps I will call Greenwich Mclaren tomorrow and see what it would cost to PPI it. My only other concern would be the low VIN (I had never heard of this recommendation before and I have scoured this forum).

I did see that Herb Chambers listing. That's an attractive price plus its been sitting there for months so I would imagine there would be room for negotiation. Not sure I could live with with ALL that brown though. The ironic part of the listing is the ad copy:

This rare and beautiful color combination was custom ordered by the owner of our company, Herbert Chambers. He picked the interior and exterior based on years of experience in automotive interior design as a car collector.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Some really good input here. I asked the broker for service records as Dennis here had suggested and got this reply: "The owner does have the upgrade certificate. He guarantees it. It was only in for one service and the upgrade and he has all records."

Perhaps I will call Greenwich Mclaren tomorrow and see what it would cost to PPI it. My only other concern would be the low VIN (I had never heard of this recommendation before and I have scoured this forum).

I did see that Herb Chambers listing. That's an attractive price plus its been sitting there for months so I would imagine there would be room for negotiation. Not sure I could live with with ALL that brown though. The ironic part of the listing is the ad copy:

This rare and beautiful color combination was custom ordered by the owner of our company, Herbert Chambers. He picked the interior and exterior based on years of experience in automotive interior design as a car collector.
I was very close to buying it - mine popped up and had two buyers the same day. Fortunately the first deal fell apart and I got it.

Otherwise that Chambers car would be in my Avatar :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great advice! A friend of mine offered them $168,000 and they were actually considering the offer until the trade in for his Ferrari didn't work out. I guess because Herb Chamber doesn't own either the Mclaren nor the Ferrari dealership hence the low trade in for the Ferrari. They have been trying to sell the black and white ones for almost 1 year. From what I understand the white one has a scratch near the badge and the bottom is a bit scrapped. The fire black with that brown interior is not my cup of tea and the desperate sales pitch they offered is epic.

·
Registered
108 Posts

That sales pitch line is beyond pathetic. It almost sounds like if you don't agree with him then you have no taste. It is clearly an undesirable combination otherwise it would have been sold 1 year ago. Unless depreciation, reliability, lack of dealer support,...etc plays into buyers mind.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts