McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how most people find ISG on an on-going basis?

I went in thinking it was a silly artificial gimmick. Now, I'm a bit more positive. I keep it on the quietest setting for all but Track. On track I have it on loud. I just find it fun--but only if you are driving such that there are varied throttle inputs. Any constant throttle input is just annoying, in my view.

One thing that did perplex me was the idea was ISG only affected the sound inside the cockpit. I understood the concept, but didn't believe the sound would stay on the inside. So I checked. I took a sound reading on the outside of the car at a distance of about 8 feet (with the windows open) at a variety of RPM's. Botton line--the sound level only changed about 3-4 dB's. (It changed about 10dB's inside the cockpit).

The perception of the sound frequency did change a bit, but that was a qualitative difference only. So it is true--ISG is for the driver and passenger only. And honestly that seems weird to me too--I feel like I am not listening to the car, but a version of the car.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thought ISG's main purpose was to help the driver hear revs on the track. I'm nearly always running mine on quietest settings. For street pleasure I'd rather an exhaust valve, but one without that on/off rpm threshold and low end ricer sound. And it should be factory, not aftermarket.

The 12C must be quite loud from behind as mine can be heard from blocks away while loitering on light throttle in traffic. Or so I'm told, my exhaust note precedes me :) I'm speaking of 2013 sport exhaust, which to me seems superior to 2012 standard. I defer to those who have heard side by side comparisons.

The intake is the missing component, famously enjoyed on the carburetor'd Ferrari. Is the ISG adequate to overcome modern sound dampening and provide this? In any case, at least it's not on the radio, tune in to channel BMWeak.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Honestly I'm really not to concerned about the sound generated on the inside of the car, I just like it to be loud on the outside. Cheers....??

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Where or how do you find the ISG setting,

As a dd any louder and it would be difficult to talk on the phone while driving.

IMO - the sport exhaust mirrors the car perfectly - not too rude while awaiting hyper car level.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Where or how do you find the ISG setting,

As a dd any louder and it would be difficult to talk on the phone while driving.

IMO - the sport exhaust mirrors the car perfectly - not too rude while awaiting hyper car level.
It's in the left hand screen menu's. You can select sound 1-3 for each powertrain mode. I took a ride with a friend and showed him track at volume 3, he said it sounds like shit, so all my modes are at level 1. BTW, I agreed with him on the sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts