McLaren Life banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MP4-12C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My battery decided to loose 2/3 of capacity the other day. This is gen 1 battery and hard to find.

Does anybody know of any battery from salvage cars or used/restored battery for sale?

Or is it possible to restore some of the battery cells, recharge procedure?

Thank you for tips.

Regards
Bjorn

2012 MP4-12C
1,760 Posts
It may be repairable, but I'm about to be testing a replacement battery that will have a plug and play adapter for Gen 1 cars. It won't be as expensive as a "genuine" battery either, but I'm not sure what it'll take to get one to Norway.

Reactions: p2164 and restosud

·
Registered
MP4-12C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.

I see UPS can ship Lithium/ion battery to Europe.

Can you double check posibility? And what do you charge for your battery replacement?

Regards
Bjorn

2012 MP4-12C
1,760 Posts
Hi.

I see UPS can ship Lithium/ion battery to Europe.

Can you double check posibility? And what do you charge for your battery replacement?

Regards
Bjorn
My first sample didn't communicate with the car properly so I have a new one on the way to test. I can see about shipping there but until I have a tested working battery for sure I don't want to give a price. I'm aiming under $2,000.

·
Registered
MP4-12C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep me posted. I am in contact with someone who restore A123 battery from Canada. But there are some issues with shipping, one is proper packing bag/container for the battery.
Some companies are able to provide proper packing for such a large battery, but should be confirmed locally by assignee.

2012 MP4-12C
1,760 Posts
Keep me posted. I am in contact with someone who restore A123 battery from Canada. But there are some issues with shipping, one is proper packing bag/container for the battery.
Some companies are able to provide proper packing for such a large battery, but should be confirmed locally by assignee.
Yes there are some loopholes but I can get a lithium battery to you once I've confirmed a working one. The first iteration didn't work as far as the BMS goes. A second iteration with different software is on the way.
When did gen1 go over to next gen?
Sometime in 2015 I believe. 675LT's have gen 2 as well as 570's.

·
Registered
MP4-12C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Since my car is on service/repair and the battery deid on the way to workshop I had to go the expensive way. Gen 3 battery installed and fusebox conversion + harness upgrade had to be done. A 5000 USD upgrade on my car is performed. I no longer need to search for battery.

Thank you anyway EMF Audio for checking freight etc.

Regards
Bjorn

2012 MP4-12C
1,760 Posts
I'm still working on a solution, 2nd one isn't talking to the car correctly either, working that out.

Reactions: batcheej
1 - 12 of 12 Posts