McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
@LifeIsGR8 -- What are you looking to buy? A 570s, 570gt, or 570s spider? What are your main concerns about buying and owning one? I feel you can get a lot of good info from these forums, but I'm not sure the way you're going about it is the best use of your time or is going to get you the best results.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@LifeIsGR8 -- What are you looking to buy? A 570s, 570gt, or 570s spider? What are your main concerns about buying and owning one? I feel you can get a lot of good info from these forums, but I'm not sure the way you're going about it is the best use of your time or is going to get you the best results.

-Jamie.
I’m cross-shopping a number of used vehicles in the $150-170k range including the 570S. As part of my due diligence, I always tour forums to read what owners are saying. It’s most certainly not the decision maker, but part of a few exercises to understand what ownership entails.

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
I’m cross-shopping a number of used vehicles in the $150-170k range including the 570S. As part of my due diligence, I always tour forums to read what owners are saying. It’s most certainly not the decision maker, but part of a few exercises to understand what ownership entails.
I think that makes sense. We're all fortunate enough to have the disposable income to buy these cars, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't do a bit of due diligence to make sure you are disposing of it properly!

My reply to you was more coming from the perspective of, the more you tell us about what you're looking at within the McLaren line-up, the better advice we can give.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My reply to you was more coming from the perspective of, the more you tell us about what you're looking at within the McLaren line-up, the better advice we can give.

-Jamie.
Admittedly, I don’t want to spend more than $170k, otherwise I’d be all over the 720S!

Aside from budget, I’m looking for great performance that doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg in depreciation specifically in the mileage department—I’ll put on 10k hard miles over 3 years. I’m fortunate to live off Mulholland near the best canyon roads in the US. Also, if I could avoid mechanical catastrophes, that would be good! Which probably explains my current vehicle choice (R8).

Needless to say, the 458 is out. Huracan doesn’t do it for me, neither the Gallardo Superleggera. The GT3RS is the front runner but the 570S is just fantastic in other ways. Plus, part of the fun is the research/chase, right?

·
Registered
216 Posts
You said you weren't after a car that would cost you a arm and a leg in depreciation, Mclaren is often the best example of how fast a car can lose value. Id be looking hard at that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You said you weren't after a car that would cost you a arm and a leg in depreciation, Mclaren is often the best example of how fast a car can lose value. Id be looking hard at that.
It’s first thing that crossed my mind, although the 570S is now dipping into the $130ks. If the 12C and 650S are any indication, there’s more to go but not the exponential decrease in years 1-3.

·
Registered
216 Posts
In theory id agree with you as I can't imagine saying a 2016 Mclaren being 100k even 1-2-3 years from now unless it had like 50k miles on it or something. But Mclaren seems to break all rules, including depreciation theory's lol.

I bought my 570s (High sticker) 278k for 251k or something like that. 1.5 years later trade in was 135k and that was twisting arms.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In theory id agree with you as I can't imagine saying a 2016 Mclaren being 100k even 1-2-3 years from now unless it had like 50k miles on it or something. But Mclaren seems to break all rules, including depreciation theory's lol.

I bought my 570s (High sticker) 278k for 251k or something like that. 1.5 years later trade in was 135k and that was twisting arms.
That’s absolutely brutal!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was doing the same research on the same cars in the same price range earlier this year, and IMO if depreciation is truly a major factor I think you'd almost have to go with a GT3RS over a 570S. Obviously, a "fantastic deal" may impact this imbalance.

Most importantly: drive 'em both! Maybe your priorities will change :)

Enjoy the search!

Rich

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 2019 GT3RS now, ive put 3k miles on it and id probably only lose the tax ive paid on it if I sold it right now. The car feels bullet proof vs the 570s had interior and body panels falling off on delivery day (new car). Is it as fast in a straight line? No way, no how. But this car would leave a 570s for dead in the twisty's.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was doing the same research on the same cars in the same price range earlier this year, and IMO if depreciation is truly a major factor I think you'd almost have to go with a GT3RS over a 570S. Obviously, a "fantastic deal" may impact this imbalance.
I have a 2019 GT3RS now, ive put 3k miles on it and id probably only lose the tax ive paid on it if I sold it right now. The car feels bullet proof vs the 570s had interior and body panels falling off on delivery day (new car). Is it as fast in a straight line? No way, no how. But this car would leave a 570s for dead in the twisty's.
This is also a large factor in my purchase, so I am leaning GT3RS. Being that I live next to Mulholland, near Angeles Crest Highway, a myriad of Malibu twisties, and just an hour or so to Willow Springs track means the car will be abused. :)

But of course, I will lose out on the 570S's beautiful lines.

·
Owner
496 Posts
All these forums are filled with people that aren't owners, but are self proclaimed experts. Ferrari is way worse. There is a guy on there that tracks (stalks) chassis numbers and owners. The guy has no car, has tattooed himself with prancing horses and tracks cars and owners. Whenever I would get a car, I would receive a communication from this guy asking personal and car info. I always told him to pound sand. It is beyond creepy.

Fortunately, this hasn't happened (yet) with McLarens.

btw..... My 570 has been bullet proof.

·
Registered
263 Posts

OUCH! I traded my 2018 570S Spider this past summer with @ 3000 mi. on it and was given $ 175K. Also received a healthy discount on the replacement car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Was that a lease trade similar to what @unmac described?
MSRP on my 18' Spider was $ 250K. but purchased new for $ 219K. I know my dealer was asking $ 189K for my trade and sold it within 2 weeks so speculating they got pretty close to asking price.

·
Owner
475 Posts
GT3RS's are getting soft, so if you think you can get that now, I honestly would do it.
16's are bringing $ 130-140k at auction - they were bringing 180-190k a year ago. Yours will suffer the same fate in about a year.

My 16 GT3RS was a dud - I had issues with air conditioning, synching, bluetooth, and rattling panels. I dumped it early this year right before they took a major dump in price and towards a 720. I still have a 997 Turbo, and that thing was much better put together than the newer Porsches.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think another one that I've seen (and experienced) is inconsistent working on the "Comfort Entry" function. Mine rarely works to return the seat to the proper position even with use of the stalk as indicated on the screen.
I've also had an error related to the Traction Control which is thought to be a parking brake issue. The car occasionally sounds an "alarming" alarm noise and tells me to park the car and get it to a workshop immediately. Solved by a hard reboot (stop / restart). Permanent fix seems to be a dealer adjustment to the parking brake.
the Comfort Entry feature times out pretty quickly once you close the door so if you hesitate to activate it could be to late.

·
Registered
216 Posts
GT3RS's are getting soft, so if you think you can get that now, I honestly would do it.
16's are bringing $ 130-140k at auction - they were bringing 180-190k a year ago. Yours will suffer the same fate in about a year.

My 16 GT3RS was a dud - I had issues with air conditioning, synching, bluetooth, and rattling panels. I dumped it early this year right before they took a major dump in price and towards a 720. I still have a 997 Turbo, and that thing was much better put together than the newer Porsches.
Zero interest in unloading it now. It will be a couple years before the 2019's see the same drop the 16's did recently. I will hold it for a year or so more. My 570s was pretty reliable, minor issues in general but did have to visit dealer 2 times for electrical stuff. Mclaren has such potential but the build quality is questionable as well as the electrical gremlins make the cars just unattractive for me. If I lived near a dealer id take the risk again for the right car...but im 4hrs from one. So spending money to have it towed or have it gone for weeks at a time over issues was stupid IMO. I have a Porsche dealer 20 minutes away.

·
Owner
475 Posts
Zero interest in unloading it now. It will be a couple years before the 2019's see the same drop the 16's did recently. I will hold it for a year or so more. My 570s was pretty reliable, minor issues in general but did have to visit dealer 2 times for electrical stuff. Mclaren has such potential but the build quality is questionable as well as the electrical gremlins make the cars just unattractive for me. If I lived near a dealer id take the risk again for the right car...but im 4hrs from one. So spending money to have it towed or have it gone for weeks at a time over issues was stupid IMO. I have a Porsche dealer 20 minutes away.
I agree with you 100%.

When I bought my 650s, it needed a LOT of tlc, but after that, it was great. I kept it for about 6 months only, then traded my 650s for the GT3RS for that very reason. I had a coolant leak on the 650s which I was able to tackle but was definitely not looking forward to sending it for service - the closest dealership was 8 hours from me and it was due. There are so many horrible stories I heard about cars coming back with even more issues or things that were loose, or not coming back for weeks. That really spooked me. The right deal came about, so I jumped on it.

I thought the GT3RS would be a very reliable car, and that would be plenty fast. I was very disappointed as it went to the dealership twice within the first month. Rattles, AC leak, bluetooth synch issues - all were a pest. Gladly, there is a dealership nearby, but, wasn't impressed with their service. The car came back with scuffs on the door sills, covered in oil mist, and silly annoyances like that. And that is a LOCAL dealership that moves very high end cars.

Bottom line, I think different personal experiences determines the worth and value of a particular car. It seems the 570s did you wrong and can't blame you for wanting to get rid of it. My experience w/the GT3RS was similar and that is why I decided to get rid of it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts