McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I've been analyzing McLarenLife posts in pursuit of my next fun car, and collected some observations about reliability I thought the community may enjoy. As a prospective buyer, I always hope these sort of threads exist, but often end up doing the work and posting them myself!

Purpose
  • Aggregate reliability-related reports from 570S owners since the vehicle's launch
  • Post to the forum to aide prospective buyers in their decision making process
  • Aide those weighing decision to buy a factory warranty (ESC), or an aftermarket warranty.
Assumptions:
  • Online forums such as McLaren Life, Youtube documentation, are a reasonably reliable source of owner experiences
  • Posters are accurately reporting the issue & solution at hand
  • Online forums have a slim % of 570S owners, but are a decent proxy for overall experiences
Variables:
  • 40hrs+ surveying Online Forums, Youtube documentation
  • Little mechanic/dealer input
Takeaways:
  1. Contrary to popular belief, the 570S receives few complaints.
  2. Reliability issues are largely related to electrical gremlins, and mechanically the cars appear to be solid.
  3. The 570S seems much more reliable than the 12C/650S, and that is becoming more clear now that a decent qty of 570S's have accumulated 20k+ miles.
  4. Most owners report solid reliability, punctuated only by "ghost in the machine" idiosyncrasies cleared by a stopping the car, letting it sit, then restarting.
  5. Theoretically, the majority of issues listed below arose during the initial warranty period, and future owners are buying well-sorted cars.
  6. Compared to the reliability of other marques being cross-shopped in this category (Ferrari 458/488, Huracan, GT3RS, R8 V10), Mclaren is middle of the pack, with a relatively high number of inconvenient issues but far less large mechanical issues.
The below order is based on the commonality of reports I've found.

RarityIssueCause & fix
CommonNot startingDepress brake pedal harder. In rare cases, the brake pedal switch needed to be replaced.
CommonKey not recognizedKey should be placed closer to Start/Stop button
CommonMisc dash errors/codesMostly "ghost of the machine". Stop/Restart the vehicle, or disconnect battery for 1hr. Sometimes idling for 5min clears codes.
Fairly commonWindows roll down after door closeWeather stripping may be protruding, causing window to drop for safety measures. Re-seat the weather stripping.
Fairly commonMiscellaneous door latchIf the car is spec'd with "soft close" doors, the latch mechanism from Tesla likely failed
Fairly commonComfort entry not workingBattery reset, sometimes a reflash
Fairly commonBattery dying quickly, causing issuesKey is left too close when vehicle not in use. Constant communication drains the battery.
Fairly commonHeadlight condensationOccurs after rain driving or deep cleaning. Let sit and it disappears.
Fairly commonWindshield stress cracksHappens early, and the dealer needs to use a more flexible sealant
Somewhat commonIRIS (interface) errorsMajority are remedied with reset (done yourself). Software updates have fixed many issues. Requires dealer to update.
Somewhat commonCoolant tank leaksCracked coolant tanks, or loose/bad clamps on hose near tank. Cause is the tank's proximity to air/water intercoolers and exhaust cause expansion and decrease hose longevity. Could be amplified by aftermarket exhausts with lesser heat protection.
Somewhat commonLocked out of carVariety of causes: bad latch, poor signal, low car battery
Somewhat commonWindsheild develops stress crackAdhesive used to secure windshield too hard. Need more flexible adhesive. About $2300 to replace
Somewhat commonSmall panels falling offDouble-sided tape and adhesive failures. Simple reattach.
Somewhat commonOil-related error/s due to oil filler cap not fully tightenedOil filler cap not fully tightened
Somewhat commonPanel misalignments from factoryBuild quality. Doors can be adjusted, but likely at cost of fitment elsewhere
Not commonLight rattle from engine bayHeatshield clamp bolts loosened, possible tab on catalytic converter mount snapped
Not commonFender liner becoming detachedReattach
Not commonPart of front bumper flying off at speedIncorrect re-installation of part. E.g. the professional applying paint protection film
Not commonA/C blowing hot airUnconfirmed. Stop/restart vehicle.
Not commonRear parking brake errorUnclear fix -- may be reset by stop/restart
Not commonPaint bubblingCorrosion on Aluminum - must repaint the panel. 5 year corrosion warranty from McLaren. Skewed to 2016 MYs.
Not commonRear diffuser separatingFailure of adhesive. Clean surface then dab silicone adhesive behind fins
Very rareTransmission oil leakFailure of basic o-ring, small but annoying job
Very rareOil leak by variable cam timing harnessDue to leaky o-rings on the filter's plastic housing. Replace o-ring's likely fine, whole housing as precaution.

Take this list for what it's worth-- 40hrs+ research based on issues reported by owners.

If you're a 570S owner and have experienced issues other than these, please reply so the community can continue to document for future prospective owners.

Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think another one that I've seen (and experienced) is inconsistent working on the "Comfort Entry" function. Mine rarely works to return the seat to the proper position even with use of the stalk as indicated on the screen.
I've also had an error related to the Traction Control which is thought to be a parking brake issue. The car occasionally sounds an "alarming" alarm noise and tells me to park the car and get it to a workshop immediately. Solved by a hard reboot (stop / restart). Permanent fix seems to be a dealer adjustment to the parking brake.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A couple of other I've seen:
  • Cracked windshields
  • OEM tires becoming unbalanced because some sound deadening materiel in them comes loose.
  • Interior or exterior trim pieces coming lose.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think another one that I've seen (and experienced) is inconsistent working on the "Comfort Entry" function. Mine rarely works to return the seat to the proper position even with use of the stalk as indicated on the screen.
I've also had an error related to the Traction Control which is thought to be a parking brake issue. The car occasionally sounds an "alarming" alarm noise and tells me to park the car and get it to a workshop immediately. Solved by a hard reboot (stop / restart). Permanent fix seems to be a dealer adjustment to the parking brake.
I did hear of the Comfort Entry inconsistency, and forgot to add. It's now in the table.
Maybe I'm consolidating too much, but the "Rear parking brake error" is how I had captured the second item you mentioned.

A couple of other I've seen:
  • Cracked windshields
  • OEM tires becoming unbalanced because some sound deadening materiel in them comes loose.
  • Interior or exterior trim pieces coming lose.
I did hear of the windshield stress fractures and chose not to add it. Since it is a big expense and some insurance carriers don't offer glass coverage, I've added it.
Trim rattle also added.

Thanks guys. Let's keep this going. We'll either (A) Help prospects understand that 570S are good vehicles (B) Make everyone run away from 570S. :) Either way, it's a good service.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks guys. Let's keep this going. We'll either (A) Help prospects understand that 570S are good vehicles (B) Make everyone run away from 570S. :) Either way, it's a good service.
LOL's. A useless topic. Started by a person who doesn't own the car and joined 5 hours ago.

People on car forums should give it a rest with mechanical reliability. All marque's have warranties, mechanics, service bay's, extended warranties, etc. for a reason.

Check NHTSA.gov for recall and manufacture communications rather than some random people's postings on car forums who may or may not have an agenda.

·
Registered
290 Posts
LOL's. A useless topic. Started by a person who doesn't own the car and joined 5 hours ago.

People on car forums should give it a rest with mechanical reliability. All marque's have warranties, mechanics, service bay's, extended warranties, etc. for a reason.

Check NHTSA.gov for recall and manufacture communications rather than some random people's postings on car forums who may or may not have an agenda.
I couldn’t agree more

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you cannot, or will not, add to the value of this thread, I kindly ask that you do not reply.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you cannot, or will not, add to the value of this thread, I kindly ask that you do not reply.
I don't think so. If you want to do thorough research then go and summarize real data. NHTSA.gov. Summarize all the recalls, manufacture communications, consumer complaints across all marques (regular cars, performance cars, exotic cars, etc.).

Call manufactures and see how much the spend on roadside assistance, how much built in warranty costs they have in the price of cars, how many extended warranties they sell.

Get warranty invoices from dealers to manufactures. Get the days in service and out of service for cars, etc.

Not this piddly; I saw on a car forum some people posting issue nonsense.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Your signature line says 2010 Audi R8. Here is some real data for you:

238 Manufacturer Communicationsfor 2010 AUDI R8
FILTER MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATIONS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS
All (238)AIR BAGS (4)BACK OVER PREVENTION (4)ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (55)ENGINE (20)ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING (28)EQUIPMENT (81)EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE (4)EXTERIOR LIGHTING (6)FORWARD COLLISION AVOIDANCE (2)FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL (1)FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE (5)FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER (3)LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES (5)PARKING BRAKE (1)POWER TRAIN (15)SEAT BELTS (1)SERVICE BRAKES (3)SERVICE BRAKES, AIR (1)SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC (5)STEERING (14)STRUCTURE (2)SUSPENSION (20)TIRES (2)UNKNOWN OR OTHER (4)VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL (1)VISIBILITY (4)WHEELS (7)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I don't think so.
You don't seem the type to take interest in how others might go about their purchase process. After viewing your responses in other threads, these topics seem to offend you on a more personal level. That's okay, it just indicates this thread is not for you. Cheers

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
The issue here is researching “570S” on this forum gives you cars across 3 years of manufacturing, and McLaren constantly improves cars that leave the factory (sometimes entire functions change across model years without any fanfare - like the triple vs single screen dash, rear view camera switching from iris to dash, etc). Your list makes it appear that all issues affect all model years.

Many of the items listed are definitely early car issues, and some you list as “unknown cause” or “ghost in the machine” but I’m not sure why (like keyfob “not found” issues tend to be interference, like cellphones, or even ambient, windscreen cracking are very low percentage on this platform, coolant tank cracks extremely rare, window roll down commonly due to hard seals or debris in seals, battery power loss tends to be accessories - like dashcams - or just not driving it enough without battery tender, RMS leak nearly unheard of, etc).

A list of potential COMMON issues is nice, but the way it’s framed here upsets owners & feels troll-ish because it seems to make it look like these issues are common when it looks like you’ve taken sometimes one or two instances of something and added it to the list. Like the RMS leak I believe was dvandentop’s car, and is the only one I could find on the forum with that issue on this platform - yet you have it in there like it’s common as muck. Maybe add a column including number of cars that have had the issue to add some context, and model years if possible. If not you might as well throw every single issue a car can have in there since, like ALL manufacturers, every issue is likely to happen at least once across all cars built.

People buy these cars (for a lot of money) for emotional reasons, and something like this, especially when the data is skewed, is going to elicit strong reactions.

I see you posted on FerrariChat too, but only focused on market price data - NOT reliability or issues. Why not post this kind of analysis on that forum about the 458? Seems you did a Porsche GT3RS analysis too, but again, only market values - not reliability. Both Ferrari and Porsche have had significant reliability items in their histories (funnily enough, earlier Porsche’s had major RMS issues, and higher mileage Ferrari’s (20K+) can have major issues of their own), so data shouldn’t be hard to come by.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Agreed - this post contains useless “research” and data points.

A few hours browsing an Internet forum containing an incredibly small subset of McLaren owners from across the globe - looking for posts of issues and then passing them off as some type of detailed reliability metrics that others can reference in future as part of the decision making process for a Sports Series car. Terrible

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with all that light analysis reliability report. Most of those things you have mentioned are not related to the newer models nor anything to do with reliability. These are not "breakdowns." To measure reliability and do a real world report you need to have proper sampling. Many owners are not on the forums and the ones that have no issues (majority of the owners) generally don't post anything. The real question is, how many times have you had to take your car to the shop for not being able to use it? Have the number of time increased over the years or have they decreased? Are your issues consistent and are you able to replicate them?

For me, things have been good with this brand and I have been enjoying my car unlike some other brand where the engine blew after 2K.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You don't seem the type to take interest in how others might go about their purchase process. After viewing your responses in other threads, these topics seem to offend you on a more personal level. That's okay, it just indicates this thread is not for you. Cheers
Once again... Mechanical reliability and using car forums for research is the stupidest thing a person can do. This forum and the postings are for DIY people now, people who buy used, grinders, buy from auctions, third party dealers. They have different issues than the typical buyer who is not represented on these forums. These forums lost relevance mid stream in 675 deliveries. Stormbringer who doesn't own any of these cars infected every thread with the 675 coupe/spider issue. Everyone disappeared, stopped posting. Now, they all use regional facebook forums to discuss car related issues. It seems those on these forums do not belong to any of those groups or those groups don't allow them in.

Some of the questions I see posted here make me scratch my head. No reason for many of these postings which no one on these forums can help. It is only to troll, sell products and services on the sly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
look like these issues are common when it looks like you’ve taken sometimes one or two instances of something and added it to the list.
I appended a new column with rough report counts. Good add.

People buy these cars (for a lot of money) for emotional reasons, and something like this, is going to elicit strong reactions.
This seems to be the case.

I see you posted on FerrariChat too, but only focused on market price data - NOT reliability or issues. Why not post this kind of analysis on that forum about the 458? Seems you did a Porsche GT3RS analysis too, but again, only market values - not reliability. Both Ferrari and Porsche have had significant reliability items in their histories (funnily enough, earlier Porsche’s had major RMS issues, and higher mileage Ferrari’s (20K+) can have major issues of their own), so data shouldn’t be hard to come by.

Thanks!

Z.
I'm compiling similar tables for the 458 (failures skew catastrophic vs. McLaren's "ghost in the machine"), GT3/GT3RS (predictability reliable although relatively higher production #'s increase reports).

A few hours browsing an Internet forum containing an incredibly small subset of McLaren owners from across the globe - looking for posts of issues and then passing them off as some type of detailed reliability metrics that others can reference in future as part of the decision making process for a Sports Series car.
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with all that light analysis reliability report.
My original post states the intent which may have been overlooked.

Once again... Mechanical reliability and using car forums for research is the stupidest thing a person can do. This forum and the postings are for DIY people now, people who buy used, grinders, buy from auctions, third party dealers. They have different issues than the typical buyer who is not represented on these forums. These forums lost relevance mid stream in 675 deliveries. Stormbringer who doesn't own any of these cars infected every thread with the 675 coupe/spider issue. Everyone disappeared, stopped posting. Now, they all use regional facebook forums to discuss car related issues. It seems those on these forums do not belong to any of those groups or those groups don't allow them in.

Some of the questions I see posted here make me scratch my head. No reason for many of these postings which no one on these forums can help. It is only to troll, sell products and services on the sly.
You seem fond of NHTSA.gov. Following this suggestion, I searched for various years of the 570S. There was not a single report, much less mention of the issues that owners on this forum bring to light. Dealer > manufacture reports are not public. Warranty-less 570S are now in the used market at great prices, which some will chose to self-insure against. Reasons like this are why prospective owners search Forums. Posts like mine are commonplace, and the 570S is rather new, thus my contribution.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I appended a new column with rough report counts. Good add.

This seems to be the case.

I'm compiling similar tables for the 458 (failures skew catastrophic vs. McLaren's "ghost in the machine"), GT3/GT3RS (predictability reliable although relatively higher production #'s increase reports).

My original post states the intent which may have been overlooked.

You seem fond of NHTSA.gov. Following this suggestion, I searched for various years of the 570S. There was not a single report, much less mention of the issues that owners on this forum bring to light. Dealer > manufacture reports are not public. Warranty-less 570S are now in the used market at great prices, which some will chose to self-insure against. Reasons like this are why prospective owners search Forums. Posts like mine are commonplace, and the 570S is rather new, thus my contribution.
Got it. No real data you are using. Information from a forum where 20 people contribute to compile a list of nothing. Real complaints, safety issues, manufacture communications are a real thing across all marques. If you want credibility then that is what you need to summarize across all marque's and your starting point is NHTSA.gov.

Search manufacture financial statements for warranty $$$, find part companies and see who they supply those parts to and how many extras, etc. Do a through research, analysis and maybe you will come up with this conclusion.... Marque's use similar parts as other marque's, they all break down, some marque's are more transparent with manufacture communications then others, etc.

Your conclusion will be; all cars break down because they are supposed to break down. They are not bullet proof. You can say goodbye to all dealers if cars didn't break down because the warranty/non warranty, service work is what keeps them in business.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts