McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered my coupe with the lift kit, and since this is a relatively new option, I thought people might want a quick report.

In my view, it works very well. The car raises easily with a lift of the stalk, and is up a bit more than an inch in about 15 seconds (can be done on the run). It goes down by the same method, but seems to go down slower. Also, if left up it will auto lower once the speed picks up. I've never had a lift kit before, but this one seems perfect.

Attached are a few shots to illustrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good report. :)

I've had lift kits on a Lambo and a current 458. The Mac kit is slower in action and more fiddly to operate, but does offer rear lift as well. The car should have it as standard fitment IMO.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I ordered my coupe with the lift kit, and since this is a relatively new option, I thought people might want a quick report.

In my view, it works very well. The car raises easily with a lift of the stalk, and is up a bit more than an inch in about 15 seconds (can be done on the run). It goes down by the same method, but seems to go down slower. Also, if left up it will auto lower once the speed picks up. I've never had a lift kit before, but this one seems perfect.

Attached are a few shots to illustrate.
So jp33pds from looking at the pictures you've provided, your car actually drops approximately 1.25" or 32mm does that sound correct?? Oh and congrats on your new car. Cheers....??

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's my best guess. I picked a point and roughly measured around 1.25 inches--I wasn't super accurate. I also didnt check the rear which I recall was supposed to raise a bit less. Regardless, I feel like the kit does what it was designed to do quite well.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That's my best guess. I picked a point and roughly measured around 1.25 inches--I wasn't super accurate. I also didnt check the rear which I recall was supposed to raise a bit less. Regardless, I feel like the kit does what it was designed to do quite well.
jp33pds have you actually seen the internal workings of the system on your car. In other words do you know how it goes about raising and lower. Does it work in conjunction with hydraulics system or is it a completely separate entity. As well you've indicated that its both front and rear. Your input into the system would be greatly appreciated. Cheers....??

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That lift kit is an option I might regret.
What weight does it add to the car? Any idea?
Does it lift all for corners or onlly the front axle?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears to raise all corners--though I didn't measure the rear. I wonder if the amount raised might be a bit higher at the very front since I measured at the front axle and if the rear raises less, the highest point would be the very front.

Honestly I'd be guessing about how the thing works and how much it weighs. There is nothing apparent to me about either.

As to getting it, etc. As in all things adding weight and complexity, I would only get it if you need it. It appears the 12c without using the lift is about the same as my Turbo S in clearance in daily use. Since my 12c is a dd often parkied in various NYC garages, I wanted the choice. Along the same lines, I opted out of electric seats and got the manual ones--there I didn't need the extra rig, so I skipped it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It appears to raise all corners--though I didn't measure the rear. I wonder if the amount raised might be a bit higher at the very front since I measured at the front axle and if the rear raises less, the highest point would be the very front.

Honestly I'd be guessing about how the thing works and how much it weighs. There is nothing apparent to me about either.

As to getting it, etc. As in all things adding weight and complexity, I would only get it if you need it. It appears the 12c without using the lift is about the same as my Turbo S in clearance in daily use. Since my 12c is a dd often parkied in various NYC garages, I wanted the choice. Along the same lines, I opted out of electric seats and got the manual ones--there I didn't need the extra rig, so I skipped it.
Well thanks for the insight jp33pds, I'm going to ask my friends at Pfaff if they may be able to shed a little more light on this whole lift kit. What I would love to be able to achieve in this or another system is the following. A system that doesn't weight to much or alter the drive characteristics but has the ability to lower the car further, just barely I mean barely tucking the wheels inside the wheel wells. I do not want to have a low rider or a car that's slammed to the ground that makes it look hideous. Enjoy your beautiful ride in that great city of yours. Cheers....??

·
Registered
551 Posts
I also wouldn't like a low rider but the stock sits quit high. Just a little drop would be nice but over here we got all those fu..ing speed bumps.
I don't think it's possible to have it installed afterwards

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I also wouldn't like a low rider but the stock sits quit high. Just a little drop would be nice but over here we got all those fu..ing speed bumps.
I don't think it's possible to have it installed afterwards
I'm pretty sure that someone will come out with a aftermarket system. Its just a matter of time, my preference would be to have a MSO product with the abilities previously mentioned. Well I've got my fingers crossed and waiting patiently for some positive feedback from Pfaff tuning. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
308 Posts
From the 2013 press release....

Vehicle Lift

New for 2013 is the optional Vehicle Lift. The system, which is integrated into the ProActive Chassis Control, allows the 12C to be raised front and rear for improved ground clearance. This technology permits the vehicle to be raised by up to 40mm at the front and 25mm at the rear, and may remain in position at up to 37mph (60kph). If the 12C exceeds this speed the system will automatically reset to the lowered position.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any news..

From the 2013 press release....

Vehicle Lift

New for 2013 is the optional Vehicle Lift. The system, which is integrated into the ProActive Chassis Control, allows the 12C to be raised front and rear for improved ground clearance. This technology permits the vehicle to be raised by up to 40mm at the front and 25mm at the rear, and may remain in position at up to 37mph (60kph). If the 12C exceeds this speed the system will automatically reset to the lowered position.

About the price or weight, for that matter of the VL system?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Good report. :)

I've had lift kits on a Lambo and a current 458. The Mac kit is slower in action and more fiddly to operate, but does offer rear lift as well. The car should have it as standard fitment IMO.
Completely agree that it should be a standard-fit item.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That lift kit is an option I might regret.
What weight does it add to the car? Any idea?
Does it lift all for corners or onlly the front axle?
Per McLaren Chicago it adds 7.5 kg including fluids. As such it sounds like there might be one extra pump at most. All four wheels lift. It can't be added aftermarket. I do not know whether it affects dynamics, seems very unlikely.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Per McLaren Chicago it adds 7.5 kg including fluids. As such it sounds like there might be one extra pump at most. All four wheels lift. It can't be added aftermarket. I do not know whether it affects dynamics, seems very unlikely.
I always hate when they say it can't be done, I'm of the opinion that when theres a will theres a way. Or in other words never say never, truly I want a system that will allow the car to be lower further. When you look at the P1 in track mode, that's what I want to achieve with the MP4. Cheers....??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah I bet you're right, the design could not be much different to incorporate lift. Why would they not make it retrofittable? Weight? It just might be cost prohibitive or you might get hit with the law of unintended consequences, like messed up aero or wrong COG, tire contact, etc you know the issues better than I. Ideally one would have the factory lift on a lowered car. Best of both worlds! cheers

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah I bet you're right, the design could not be much different to incorporate lift. Why would they not make it retrofittable? Weight? It just might be cost prohibitive or you might get hit with the law of unintended consequences, like messed up aero or wrong COG, tire contact, etc you know the issues better than I. Ideally one would have the factory lift on a lowered car. Best of both worlds! cheers
Unfortunately ergoproxy I know nothing, I rely solely on the expertise of others or through lots of research. Thanks for your positive remark though much appreciated. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
308 Posts
When the lift is actuating, you can feel it in the steering which loses some of its assistance. I'm guessing the power steering pump is providing the pressure.

·
Registered
551 Posts
On the Sls and FGT I had the kit from KW installed but they do not offer this for the Mc. They said not enough market for it. It's actually a great kit as one can modify the hardness over an iphone App.

http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_hls.php

1 - 20 of 21 Posts