McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it like to live with one of the Black colours? At the moment I am considering either Graphite Grey or one of the Blacks. Whilst I really like the Blacks I am a bit concerned as to whether they will be always look dirty in the absence of cleaning every trip. I know that Grpahite Grey is a bit easier to maintain but would welcome any comments.

Also which has more wow factor - Fire or Carbon Black?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Fire has the wow factor but I may be slightly partial :)

The suns reflection of the flakes are spectacular - 15 feet and closer the car almost looks like a deep brown offering a nice contrast to the cf pieces.

Up close it's where the paint flecks really pop!

I applied xpel to preserve the paint where it's vulnerable - cleaning and maintaining is what it is but well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I applied xpel to preserve the paint where it's vulnerable - cleaning and maintaining is what it is but well worth it.
Xpel and some newer films are supposedly designed to reflect the deep metallic flakes.
Have you found that it's dimmed the sheen any?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
If you'd consider something on the blue end of the color scale, Sapphire Black is my personal favorite of the very dark hues. It has a real richness to it.

Fire Black is also very nice to look at but can appear brown (like a dark cola color was what someone suggested to me) in some light/angles in case that would bother you.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It does enhance the metallic flakes - love the product!

Here is a link to 100's of applications - the Bugati clip speaks volumes.

http://www.xpel.com/installations/press.asp
I wonder how many air bubbles were left over after the job on the Veyron? ; Dealer probably asked owner to just park it out in the sun for a couple days, or take a small pin and pop them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wonder how many air bubbles were left over after the job on the Veyron? ; Dealer probably asked owner to just park it out in the sun for a couple days, or take a small pin and pop them.
Your install looks bad for sure but I've heard enough good stuff about XPEL to try it on my wife's new Boxster arriving next month instead of the Ventureshield I usually buy. I'm guessing the installer makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Your install looks bad for sure but I've heard enough good stuff about XPEL to try it on my wife's new Boxster arriving next month instead of the Ventureshield I usually buy. I'm guessing the installer makes all the difference.
Yes depends on the installer. My 16M has Xpel, looks really good. Left rear bumper corner though needs to be replaced, as somehow dirt got underneath. Really research the installer before going forward. I thought I did.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That goes without saying, the installer makes all of the difference and that stands true for many things. Having the best product is one thing having it installed correctly is another. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising so all we need is some good viable feedback. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
261 Posts
A top-rate installer should pack some film and book a little tour of the Middle East.
Haven't seen any worthy-mention work here. The same goes for detailing.

Pre-book appointments and come see some sights.

(And sorry to distract from OP's question.)

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Fire-black looks ridiculously sinister at night'time in lime-light w/ dark surroundings. Jus' sayin'... :D

I think w/ a good multi-layering detail (using both natural/carnuba waxes & synthetic/polymer sealants), obviously w/ proper surface-prep, a metallic/pearl black clear-coated finish can be "livable" as just a rinse here & there w/ a quick-detail would be enough to keep the 12C prim, proper, and presentable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts