McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another great day out organised by the pure Mclaren guys... Weather was kind to us (in so far as it wasn't too hot... Had been 37 degrees the previous day)

We had a lot of new owners there I.e not ones who had attended previous events, most of whom came from geneva in fact, although there were some from France ..

Equally there seems to be a core who are attending a few of the events and its great to see a few familiar faces which makes the event even more enjoyable..

The whole event has been further polished from the earlier ones, and clearly there is still plenty of thought going on as to how to improve them further... The big difference this time was that the guys in the pit lane were very much focused on the owners as well as the prospects driving the pure Mclaren cars. So whilst previously you could ask for assistance which would have been given, the guys are now actively checking pressures,fluid levels, pad levels and tyre wear throughout the day, so whilst as an owner I would do this as a matter of course, it's reassuring to know that one of Lewis' pit crew is checking your car over as well..(I kid you not, Sam was part of the team for Lewis' record stop last year.. Left rear 'on' I believe. ) Equally the time with the instructors makes a huge difference to your progress and although I initially thought that having the instructor at the beginning of the day was a bad idea, now that its happened twice, I have found it to be extremely beneficial..

There was no support from the 'local' dealers or Pirelli yesterday, but I understand that they are going to take these functions 'in house' from donington, so that should be another positive evolution and makes a lot of sense for everyone concerned. There's also thoughts about hte pure Mclaren guys transporting track wheels and tyres for those owners that wish, either those owners that have their own separate wheels and tyres or they are looking at 'renting' wheels and tyres although I struggle to see how the rental option would work for them. Ultimately it would seem that if you were so inclined you could drive cross country on your p zeros and then have them fit your corsas when you arrive... Of course they can just bring you a new set next time round if you're really pushing on!

I for one am really looking forward to them announcing their driver program which will be, for me, a great enhancement.. (Although separate events to these pure Mclaren experience days).. The staff as ever were courteous and very helpful and ultimately just really nice people to spend a day with.

As for the car, I didn't think that I could enjoy it more than I do, but each time it's better and better as confidence in it on track continues to rise... Have done about 1200 track miles in it and it hasn't missed a beat.. The consumables need replacing now but even that has surprised me how long they have lasted... 7500 miles overall.. I am debating whether to fit corsas but have had mixed reviews (some good, some not so) about the relative benefits on track against the downside on road.. As I chased down and passed the only guy on trofeo yesterday (who unfortunately binned his car shortly after) I have some hard thinking to do..

We had travelled down from the uk over two days stopping in geneva and its extraordinary to think that the car that we had comfortably travelled over 1000 miles in with stereo on (now truly excellent sound with good front end source.. Speakers definitely need running in), making and receiving calls without problem and with the sat nav even showing us the right way, was the same one that was braking from 270 kmh (168 mph) and leaving dark stripes of rubber on the exit...

As I sad to Sam. 'Tell uncle Ron he makes a ******* great car'

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
great post Mike,glad it was good weather,but now you have put the willies up me concerning the binning of someones car,i hope it didn't look too expensive,and I thought they have miles of run off there?? Still good to see Mark is improving it with every day,boads well for next year when we can all organise our calenders!!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Sounds like it was a blast Mike, good to hear you enjoyed it! quite looking forward to Donnington here for us back in the UK...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great post Mike,glad it was good weather,but now you have put the willies up me concerning the binning of someones car,i hope it didn't look too expensive,and I thought they have miles of run off there?? Still good to see Mark is improving it with every day,boads well for next year when we can all organise our calenders!!
I wouldn't worry about it andy....there are one or two very simple and basic rules at these events... they are well spelt out by the crew at the beginning of the day... if you listen you're going to be safer than on the road, if you chose to ignore them, then its going to be difficult..

long and short he tried to overtake heading into an apex... overtaking only allowed on straights with good reason...

my brother used a good old airforce adage to describe it... 'if there's doubt, there is no doubt'.. i.e if there is any doubt that you're going to succeed, then you absolutey don't do it

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it was a blast Mike, good to hear you enjoyed it! quite looking forward to Donnington here for us back in the UK...
look forward to hearing how it goes shaotyng... for sure it will be improved again, so let us know what you think!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Great write up Mikey, thanks for posting and glad you had a blast at Paul Ricard :)

As for the guy on trofeos you were passing on pzeros, that was certainly just up to the better driver beeing in your car ;)

I've finally managed to drive a 12C (not mine) on corsas a few days ago and it was definitely an improvement over the pzeros. It's the way to go if you don't have to drive your car as a DD in wet conditions.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great write up Mikey, thanks for posting and glad you had a blast at Paul Ricard :)

As for the guy on trofeos you were passing on pzeros, that was certainly just up to the better driver beeing in your car ;)

I've finally managed to drive a 12C (not mine) on corsas a few days ago and it was definitely an improvement over the pzeros. It's the way to go if you don't have to drive your car as a DD in wet conditions.
thsnks my friend...

I have one eye on the fact that I am changing the car at the end of the year and wonder whether it a good idea to try and sell it with corsa's on... I will have to try them somehow I think as you also believe they are better, but gunnar thinks that the improvement on track is more than offset by the problems in the rain... he mentioned he span once down the straight in the wet.... thinking ring as well which could be changeable weather even in august and then spa and ring in October which is really potentially rubbish!

had a problem with the camera battery but will try and post a video.. its morning, so not our fastest but still decent idea..

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so here's the vid... first one I've posted so sorry for a bit of a noob.... need to change the back on the camera so we can hear the sound a bit better... this was a morning run before the battery ran out on the camera (if I were honest there's a nice amount of footage that I cut off the end with the car sitting quite happily on its own... engine off....).. ! hope you think its okay... !

http://youtu.be/HmWjWJC4THY

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
so here's the vid... first one I've posted so sorry for a bit of a noob.... need to change the back on the camera so we can hear the sound a bit better... this was a morning run before the battery ran out on the camera (if I were honest there's a nice amount of footage that I cut off the end with the car sitting quite happily on its own... engine off....).. ! hope you think its okay... !

http://youtu.be/HmWjWJC4THY
Not too good Mike,the computer says NO !!!!;) Its registered as private :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Well driven,looked effortless! Seems the only deal Berni could get at the time was on blue paint :D

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know what you don't notice it at all when you're there.. the handling circuit is good fun and very challenging to get right... with all the curved approaches to the apexes and so forth... big contrast to last year with the high downforce against this year with 'only' 160 kg .. end of the back straight was a confidence lift last year, where as this year its hard on the brakes and down a gear..

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You know what you don't notice it at all when you're there.. the handling circuit is good fun and very challenging to get right... with all the curved approaches to the apexes and so forth... big contrast to last year with the high downforce against this year with 'only' 160 kg .. end of the back straight was a confidence lift last year, where as this year its hard on the brakes and down a gear..
What were you in last year Mike???

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lotus F1.. 2002 ..somewhat detuned as rev limit at 12500 and the front wing was held slightly higher than it would have been, but still 1400 Bhp/ton and the downforce in the fast corners is an eye popping experience.. Brakes probably better in modern gt3 car these days I guess but still significantly better than modern road cars.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Lotus F1.. 2002 ..somewhat detuned as rev limit at 12500 and the front wing was held slightly higher than it would have been, but still 1400 Bhp/ton and the downforce in the fast corners is an eye popping experience.. Brakes probably better in modern gt3 car these days I guess but still significantly better than modern road cars.
Nice,bet your neck hurt after that :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts