McLaren Life banner

Latest on the P13?

151K views 831 replies 82 participants last post by  Naranja 
#1 ·
Any news on the P13 testing. I have heard that running mules should be breaking cover shortly.

#2 ·
I've gone looking on-line off and on for more info and since the initial mule sightings a few months ago I really have not seen too much of any substance come up... It's like trying to get a scoop on a new iPhone before half the Apple supply chain turned into one giant press leak.

I was going to say something to the effect of 'but I imagine folks closer to McLaren may have some info' until I realized it was you (Boxer) that started the thread... You're usually one of the forum's go-to guys, if you don't know, we need to get a mole in the MTC :D

-nh4.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm finding the P13 to be even more of an enigma than the then-P11 (namely MP4-12C) & then-P12 (namely P1). We more-or-less knew what we were getting (and not getting) w/ the 12C & P1 w/ regards to underpinnings, mechanicals, and such. But, it's totally been kibosh on the P13 so far! :eek:

- Construction/fabrication: CF "tub" / monocell, what about the front/rear sub-structures & exterior bits (Al-? GRP? composite?)

- Doors: conventional swing-out doors or McLaren swing-up doors?

- Powerplant: 3.8L is presumable, will it be boosted? hybrid/electric assist?

-> If-not Ricardo-sourced 3.8L, shared powerplant/drivetrain w/ NSX-Concept (V6 + 3 electric-motors + SH-AWD)?

- Design/style: to be 12C-to-P1 bridge? P1 trickle-down? clean-slate design direction?

- Price: starting price-point?

- When: prototype/concept release? demo/show model tour? production model availability?

#7 ·
I've spoken with Frank about P13 a couple times. His eyes light up like a kid in a candy store. He's very excited about it and believes the design is "ground breaking". He hinted at some big surprises. We'll see...

#11 ·
Nice! I hope those P1 design cues include a blatant rip off of the back end. :D

Have you, NVMcLaren, or any of the other folks reading here heard any confirmation on what the 2014 car will be? Discussions here, as well as the rumor mills seem to lean towards a 458 Speciale fighter.

-nh4.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Yeah, I certainly agree on the dealership count. I'm 3.5 hours away from the nearest McLaren dealership. When I look at the pros and cons of ownership, that's a huge con. I've spoken with the dealer (Miller in CT) and provided the car is under warranty they'll come get it, do what they need to do and bring it back free of charge. That's a nice offer, but I'd so much rather just be able to drop the car off, get a loaner, and pick it up when done... I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the Boston dealer rumor comes true sometime in the next 12 months or so.

-nh4.

#18 ·
They are definitely hard at work at something inside the old SLR construction hall at MTC. Could not peak in :/

#23 ·
That article with the mash-up render is from the spring I think. Around the same time there were a few other artist concepts flying around... That mash-up one was the only one I saw where I thought 'Yeah, I would be OK if it looked sort of like that..'

-nh4.

#28 ·
Keep in mind it's a just an inspired rendition (read: artistic impression) of what the journo-outlet has in mind. A mash'up, if you will, as aforementioned in this thread. Basically an editor said to his beat-staff, "hey mock up a 'P13' best you can w/ what you can (ie. 12C & P1)..."

It's become formulaic in the press to do such, cut/paste & splice/dice to Franken'shop a forthcoming model! :D

I don't see the P13 having pronounced side intake vents in the rear 1/4 (ala 12C tuning-vanes) as that design element has seemed to have gone away w/ regards to mid/rear platforms.

Also, no way can it be as "shrink-wrapped" as the P1, that type of design+construction is well beyond the P13's pay'grade.

I can see some c-pillar buttresses/intakes though. And almost a given that there will be an active rear spoiler.

And there is likelihood of the McLaren flip'up doors, assuming the CF "monocell" tub is implemented, as that makes for a wide platform.

I'd like to see a glass-roof/greenhouse canopy like the P1, if there isn't a Targa type of roof on the coupe. A spider/roadster version will be a given, me wonders if it'll be a (pricy to design/engineer/manufacture) hard-top or a rag-top cabriolet?

What's the anticipated volume of production for the P13? McLaren had a goal of 4k units per-year by 2015, FWIRC. That would seemingly be 1.5k/yr 12Cs (5-yr run w/ 7.5k-units?), 75/yr P1s (5-yr run w/ 375-units?) and 2.5k/yr P13s.. which kinda seems low for the P13! :confused:

#32 ·
Do you guys think anyone outside of McLaren will see the design before 2015? I should better qualify that since there are always folks that get to see the secrets early :D... Do you think there will be a public release of the design concept pre-2015?

-nh4.

#34 · (Edited)
It will be teased out within a few months..........they need a good order book as it is their 'volume' car before the cars start being assembled.

Please fo not start a thread on 'How fast around the Ring'

#36 ·
@ Boxer: I was hoping it would break cover at one of the spring 2014 auto shows (Geneva seemed like a good bet), but evidence seems to point to the 2014 car being the 458 Speciale competitor. I suppose that could still be the case with an added tease of the P13 and some announcement further expanding the dealership network... That would certainly net them a lot of press.

@ RIC: I have it on good authority that the P13 will be faster around the ring than the P1 provided it gets a 5 minute head start. :D

@ Wtdoom: I figured that was likely the case, and why I amended my comment to be more about a public announcement. Were any of the folks that saw it "Dread man , truly dread". If they were, did they like what they saw? :D

#41 ·
You know it will be very Stephenson. And Frank does wicked , know what I mean? Sorry could not get innit in there.

#51 ·
LimeyBloke. When Frank arrived at Mcl the 12C was designed. All he changed was the lights and bumper detail........he must have done the P1 and the next one will be all his own work albeit restricted by the tub dimensions.

He will deliver I'm sure. Just returned from a trip and saw lots of Fiat 500's by Frank.....brilliant design inside and out.....Franks rocks!

#53 ·
Ha,ha,haaaaaaaa

Love the painted dash and its overall style, makes you realise that design is about judgement.......know what I mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.