McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 832 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I've gone looking on-line off and on for more info and since the initial mule sightings a few months ago I really have not seen too much of any substance come up... It's like trying to get a scoop on a new iPhone before half the Apple supply chain turned into one giant press leak.

I was going to say something to the effect of 'but I imagine folks closer to McLaren may have some info' until I realized it was you (Boxer) that started the thread... You're usually one of the forum's go-to guys, if you don't know, we need to get a mole in the MTC :D

-nh4.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
I'm finding the P13 to be even more of an enigma than the then-P11 (namely MP4-12C) & then-P12 (namely P1). We more-or-less knew what we were getting (and not getting) w/ the 12C & P1 w/ regards to underpinnings, mechanicals, and such. But, it's totally been kibosh on the P13 so far! :eek:

- Construction/fabrication: CF "tub" / monocell, what about the front/rear sub-structures & exterior bits (Al-? GRP? composite?)

- Doors: conventional swing-out doors or McLaren swing-up doors?

- Powerplant: 3.8L is presumable, will it be boosted? hybrid/electric assist?

-> If-not Ricardo-sourced 3.8L, shared powerplant/drivetrain w/ NSX-Concept (V6 + 3 electric-motors + SH-AWD)?

- Design/style: to be 12C-to-P1 bridge? P1 trickle-down? clean-slate design direction?

- Price: starting price-point?

- When: prototype/concept release? demo/show model tour? production model availability?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Any news on the P13 testing. I have heard that running mules should be breaking cover shortly.
Only thing I heard - who knows if it's true,

MP4 with CF body parts less weight and 650 hp - not sure what it is but rumors are it's Mclarens response to the 458 Speciale.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
That would be a 12C variant (P11) not the P13 (911 competitor). :)
Agree - but it's the only new car I get any info on from my Mclaren contact.

Until Mclaren gets some revenue out of the P1 I wouldn't count on anything that's going to need a new line made at the factory. They can get a lot more ROI out of the MP4 at minimal cost.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've spoken with Frank about P13 a couple times. His eyes light up like a kid in a candy store. He's very excited about it and believes the design is "ground breaking". He hinted at some big surprises. We'll see...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
+1 I spoke to Frank and he said if you like the styling of the p1 you'll love the p13. He also said the 12c could stand to lose some weight, so I like where he's going..

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I've spoken with Frank about P13 a couple times. His eyes light up like a kid in a candy store. He's very excited about it and believes the design is "ground breaking". He hinted at some big surprises. We'll see...
Nice! I hope those P1 design cues include a blatant rip off of the back end. :D

Have you, NVMcLaren, or any of the other folks reading here heard any confirmation on what the 2014 car will be? Discussions here, as well as the rumor mills seem to lean towards a 458 Speciale fighter.

-nh4.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think P13 will be 2015.
IMO, they still need to open twice as many dealerships as they have now. Otherwise, they'll never sell the numbers of cars they need to.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I think P13 will be 2015.
IMO, they still need to open twice as many dealerships as they have now. Otherwise, they'll never sell the numbers of cars they need to.
Yeah, I certainly agree on the dealership count. I'm 3.5 hours away from the nearest McLaren dealership. When I look at the pros and cons of ownership, that's a huge con. I've spoken with the dealer (Miller in CT) and provided the car is under warranty they'll come get it, do what they need to do and bring it back free of charge. That's a nice offer, but I'd so much rather just be able to drop the car off, get a loaner, and pick it up when done... I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the Boston dealer rumor comes true sometime in the next 12 months or so.

-nh4.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
nh4 I've heard nothing about p13 but hoping to get some inside info when I go to mtc. It sounds exciting though.
Nice. If you do hear anything, please post what you can (or PM what you can't :D ).

-nh4.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
They are definitely hard at work at something inside the old SLR construction hall at MTC. Could not peak in :/

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I am a huge fan of the P1 posterior but the P13 will need to be different. If the P13 looks like a mini P1 it will be a mistake. McLaren needs three distinct cars each with their own DNA.
Very true. I like the design of both the 12c and P1 a lot, I also like the general McLaren "designed by air" philosophy. I have no doubt whatever the P13 looks like, it'll be something I'd be happy to have in my driveway!

Saying I prefer the back-end of a P1 over a 12c is sort of like saying I prefer Jennifer Lopez's back-end to Mila Kunis. Quite frankly, either one would do. :D

-nh4.

1 - 20 of 832 Posts