McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused:
I was just reading about the new Stingray and ...........
Can someone explain these numbers from Motor Trend ??
The new Corvette Stingray with Z51 suspension has a lateral acceleration number of: 1.11g
The McLaren 12C has a lateral acceleration number of: 1.03g
Is this right ? I'm confused. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
The new Corvette Stingray with Z51 suspension has a lateral acceleration number of: 1.11g
Great information! Perhaps you should post this under the section that attracts most traffic because there will be more members that can answer this question. I thought the carbon fiber tub that Mclaren offers the best performance in the business. All that cutting edge technology.....Mclaren claims all of a sudden seems like yesterday's business. Looks like Porsche and Corvette are stepping up to the plate. What's next? Acura NSX?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's right, and it's all tire. That's why I cannot wait till we get an option to add Michelin rubber. Bottom line is their new road tires are epic. I would bet we could get around 1.2+ on the Mac if we could shoe it with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports or PS2s. If you look at the 458 and the improvement in lateral Gs from the base to the Speciale, that's all with the addition of Michelins (Pilot Sport Cup 2s).

For example, on the old C6 base vette which came with Good Year run flats the grip was about .95. Same model upped with the Michelin's (also run flats) went to 1.05. What's impressive with the new C7 is they have upped the grip to 1.11g with significantly skinnier tires (better for top speed and fuel economy).

So it's all about the rubber. And the Michelins, for road tires, are king right now. I hear Dunlops are equally track kings right now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's right, and it's all tire. That's why I cannot wait till we get an option to add Michelin rubber. Bottom line is their new road tires are epic. I would bet we could get around 1.2+ on the Mac if we could shoe it with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports or PS2s. If you look at the 458 and the improvement in lateral Gs from the base to the Speciale, that's all with the addition of Michelins (Pilot Sport Cup 2s).

For example, on the old C6 base vette which came with Good Year run flats the grip was about .95. Same model upped with the Michelin's (also run flats) went to 1.05. What's impressive with the new C7 is they have upped the grip to 1.11g with significantly skinnier tires (better for top speed and fuel economy).

So it's all about the rubber. And the Michelins, for road tires, are king right now. I hear Dunlops are equally track kings right now.
But Corvette doesn't have carbon fiber tub so it weighs a lot more and it doesn't have all those suspension or transmission settings. I wonder what the next zo6 or zr1 will do.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Vette does have a lot of great suspension settings. It uses magnetic shocks/dampers/suspension to firm things up or down. It also does have lots of throttle options. My old vette only had the magnetic ride, and really didn't vary too much on throttle response.

True, no carbon tub. It's all aluminum. That said, the vette always had pretty great grip. It's problem was steering feel and providing intuition for where the limit is...you would discern this after your cars tail snapped around you. ☺ That said, the vette's is a really amazing car and on the track, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, underestimate them at your peril.

The big feature of the C7, to me, isn't any of the above, but apparently, steering feel and handling feel is now at a point where you don't have to worry that it's going to bite you without warning. That's just from the reviews, I haven't driven one yet.

Agreed, the Z07 should be epic. The current vette, with a manual tranny, Z51 option and magnetic ride options is going to run you in the high 60s/low 70s. It's pretty good bang for buck. The Z07 should ad another 20k or so to that price. Again, really good bang for buck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Vette does have a lot of great suspension settings. It uses magnetic shocks/dampers/suspension to firm things up or down. It also does have lots of throttle options. My old vette only had the magnetic ride, and really didn't vary too much on throttle response.

True, no carbon tub. It's all aluminum. That said, the vette always had pretty great grip. It's problem was steering feel and providing intuition for where the limit is...you would discern this after your cars tail snapped around you. ☺ That said, the vette's is a really amazing car and on the track, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, underestimate them at your peril.

The big feature of the C7, to me, isn't any of the above, but apparently, steering feel and handling feel is now at a point where you don't have to worry that it's going to bite you without warning. That's just from the reviews, I haven't driven one yet.

Agreed, the Z07 should be epic. The current vette, with a manual tranny, Z51 option and magnetic ride options is going to run you in the high 60s/low 70s. It's pretty good bang for buck. The Z07 should ad another 20k or so to that price. Again, really good bang for buck.
Thanks! I don't know much about Corvettes because I never owned them. Are you saying the new zo7 might be more superior than the mp4 in performance? Would you trade in your mp4 for the new zr1 if there is such a thing?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks! I don't know much about Corvettes because I never owned them. Are you saying the new zo7 might be more superior than the mp4 in performance? Would you trade in your mp4 for the new zr1 if there is such a thing?
I would be absolutely shocked and do not think the Z07 would outperform a 458, much less a Mac. However, it will be very competitive with a 911 4s (991), and older 911 turbos (997s). Again, it's a bang/$ thing. Also think they make great track cars.

Right now, in the Mac's price range, I really see nothing that I would trade it for. I like the 458 Speciale. I'd like to see how much better it is, but I suspect it will fall to the Mac even without McLaren doing anything. But I could be wrong. I'd have to get over my dislike of the 458s interior, but I guess there is a theoretical scenario where that could happen.

Actually, I'll go a step further, even money no option, there are only 2-4 cars I could consider replacing the Mac. The Pagani Hyura, the 918 are easy ones (talk about jeckle and hyde). Maybe the Venom GT, and the new SSC (if they ever release it), but I would have to really learn more about those 2. I'm on the fence re: the P1 and LaFerrari. But honestly, I'm not in a high enough income bracket for any of those to be realistic options--I could swing it, but it'd be too painful and I don't love any of them to endure that kind of outlay. Maybe if I play lotto! ;)

But I LOVE the Mac. LOVE LOVE LOVE this freak'n car. The more I drive it, the more I cannot believe how awesome it is. It makes everything more awesomer! Stopped at a light. Awesome! In traffic. Awesome! Passing a cop doing the speed limit. Awesome! Passed a cop not doing the speed limit. Awesome! ☺ What is that ticket for officer? For driving my awesome car awesomely? Why thank you for giving me written verification of all this awesomeness! ☺

What's scarier than my batsh*t homage above is the more I drive the car and get an intuition, the more my experience is at odds, in a good way, with what's written in the press. Not just the BS lack of emotion. Also this bit that you cannot get the car to do what you want because of nannies etc. I was 4 wheel drifting the Mac, at my whim, with perfect control. (The instructor was somewhat worried ☺ but I wasn't). Car gives freak'n epic feel to me, at least for the way I drive.

Anyway, sorry for that lapse into the loopy. But last point on the z07, the one place where it, and a LOT of cars will have superior performance is grip. Would not be surprised if they put wider tires on the Z07 and it gets around 1.2Gs. We *really* need McLaren to provide us with a Michelin tire option. But that's not enough for me to switch back.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only Corvette I ever owned (a solid lifter LT-1) was in the dinosaur age and, I haven't been in one since the nineties.
I really would like to see this new version, in person.
You guys are right: The new Z07=Will be mucho bang for the buck, alright. :cool:

Remember .... Time marches on and all the 'other guys' are, most assuredly, working on their vehicles so as to supersede even the 12C's great performance. It's just how life in the fast lane goes (Especially for those manufacturers with way deeper pockets).
I wonder if I would be able to climb into the new StingRay easily. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Remember .... Time marches on and all the 'other guys' are, most assuredly, working on their vehicles so as to supersede even the 12C's great performance. It's just how life in the fast lane goes (Especially for those manufacturers with way deeper pockets).
I wonder if I would be able to climb into the new StingRay easily. :rolleyes:
Too true. A Honda Accord V6 coupe with manual transmission will DECIMATE a ferrari 308 from the 80s.

The C6 was really comfy and very easy to get in an out of. I'd be really surprised if the C7 wasn't at least it's equal. Thing I loved about the vette is insurance was dirty cheap. The major demographic is 50yr olds that treat the car like garage queens and never go over 35mph. So insurance on my new vette was cheaper than on my old integra!

I saw a cyber grey C7 in person. It looks *way way* better in person than in photos.

I would avoid first year Corvettes though for reliability issues. The 2005 C6 had a spate of issues. By 2008 it had an amazing reliability record. Just avoid that first year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Too true. A Honda Accord V6 coupe with manual transmission will DECIMATE a ferrari 308 from the 80s.

The C6 was really comfy and very easy to get in an out of. I'd be really surprised if the C7 wasn't at least it's equal. Thing I loved about the vette is insurance was dirty cheap. The major demographic is 50yr olds that treat the car like garage queens and never go over 35mph. So insurance on my new vette was cheaper than on my old integra!

I saw a cyber grey C7 in person. It looks *way way* better in person than in photos.

I would avoid first year Corvettes though for reliability issues. The 2005 C6 had a spate of issues. By 2008 it had an amazing reliability record. Just avoid that first year.
I don't get it! You bought the first year MP4! Shouldn't you avoid the first year?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Clover, technically, I think the 2011 was the first year. But my car is in the 1650s, so production-wise, it's almost a 2013. And I did a bunch of research on what the issues were up to date, and relative to other cars in this bracket, they were all minor. And I *really really* love and wanted the swipe! ☺

McLaren, being smaller, is far more nimble in how they add improvements back into their production line. Not like a big mass manufacturer. If I'm reading between the lines, there were more than a dozen improvements in parts/production during the 2012 run. The car I got is right at the tail end of all those improvements.

Anyway, point well taken, it was a calculated risk on my part. Knocking wood, I think it was the right call.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
CF tub has very little to do with G - Forces. It has to do with tire design/contact patch. That is why muscle cars with big race tires and a track alignment have high G forces.

Another point: Data posted on MT that is part of the press release has to be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Press release from another angle......

Well, published figures and a reality check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJl0SW6zcZ8

Of course the Corvette fanboys could do it, this guy is just a moron......:rolleyes:

CF tub has very little to do with G - Forces. It has to do with tire design/contact patch. That is why muscle cars with big race tires and a track alignment have high G forces.

Another point: Data posted on MT that is part of the press release has to be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

On the original press release for the 12c,they had got up to 1.7g,the 458 was listed at 1.35 g and subsequently the 12c was tested at 1.5g,its a long time ago now,as for which year to buy mine is a 2011 and hasn't had any of the problems apart from the door lock which they have all be upgraded now,lets not bring up Doris please ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts