McLaren Life banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah I get that, but what do you do with the charge since it's so small?
Well the regen charge would depend upon driving style. Aggressive late (1g+) braking on a track for example would convert significant kinetic energy to the capacitor-allowing longer track time.
The point of using a capacitor is that you can charge a high voltage capacitor very quickly compared to a battery which requires a chemical reaction to accept a charge.

Your point about super capacitor not being ready for prime time in street cars is to some extent supported by the fact that Tesla has yet to include a super-capacitors in their models yet :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You charge and discharge fast, but that doesn't get around the fact that the energy capacity is tiny relative to a battery. Solid state battery is gonna also make this whole point irrelevant

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You charge and discharge fast, but that doesn't get around the fact that the energy capacity is tiny relative to a battery. Solid state battery is gonna also make this whole point irrelevant
Yes for the same space volume occupied the energy capacity is, at this time, smaller for the capacitor than a chemical battery - however the weight of the battery is greater than the capacitor. As you indicate a solid state battery can accept a higher rate of charge/discharge without damage than current Li-ion.

·
Registered
2021 765LT
31 Posts

I think the electrification bit is a joke. 30 more hp? That smoothens out the shift when the clutch disengages 780hp at 8500rpm? These days supercar manufacturers are being allowed to get away with too much.
Lambo has a history of making Ridiculously expensive body kits like the Reventon & Sian. I think it’s silly but Lambo is banking so I’m happy they’re still in business. I would love for the V12 to be around many more decades but I fear idiot politicians around the world want to force us all into electric appliances Because they are easier to shut down and control people.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Lambo has a history of making Ridiculously expensive body kits like the Reventon & Sian. I think it’s silly but Lambo is banking so I’m happy they’re still in business. I would love for the V12 to be around many more decades but I fear idiot politicians around the world want to force us all into electric appliances Because they are easier to shut down and control people.
What a time to be alive

·
Registered
122 Posts
What irks me the most is the heavy-handed approach & upcoming bans on all ICE cars by elected & unelected politicians the world over. And I haven't heard of a single CEO or car manufacturer push back with at least some minor stipulations for a small number of ICE cars to be manufactured per year. A couple thousand ICE cars allowed per manufacturer per year wouldn't amount to a single container ship, a couple of planes, my dream farm with cattle, or a single under water volcano. But what do I know...

·
Registered
467 Posts
What irks me the most is the heavy-handed approach & upcoming bans on all ICE cars by elected & unelected politicians the world over. And I haven't heard of a single CEO or car manufacturer push back with at least some minor stipulations for a small number of ICE cars to be manufactured per year. A couple thousand ICE cars allowed per manufacturer per year wouldn't amount to a single container ship, a couple of planes, my dream farm with cattle, or a single under water volcano. But what do I know...
Agree with you and actually the Bugatti ceo made the same point. That their cars are driven only a few hundred miles per year and the emissions from them are basically zero. Spot on post btw.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,408 Posts
For the very longest time we have delegated power to losers in life. Pushing them to be Politicians. Teachers. We all figure, look, these low level functionaries can't deal with real problems/work, so lets park them over here where their lowered capacity wont get in the way... Yea, then we wake up in a world of s*** one day and wonder... How did we get here...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts