McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why do all of the review read like a press release...
The main reason you don't see supercapacitors in cars is not due to technology limitations but packaging and weight constraints. They have been used for quite sometime already in electric buses because they don't have the space constraints of a car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
At least Lambo kept the V12. Hopefully the new aventador replacement also has a V12 as it’d be a travesty to lose that beautiful soundtrack to history.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,409 Posts
Single clutch. Hard pass.
Normally I would agree, but with the super capacitor acting to fill in the changes, I think that it becomes a great way to save weight.

The supercapacitor is the star of this show IMO. It's about time they finally are being put to use. Kudos for Lambo for being the first ones. I hope other makes follow suit. This seems like much better (lighter) and environmentally friendlier tech.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Normally I would agree, but with the super capacitor acting to fill in the changes, I think that it becomes a great way to save weight.

The supercapacitor is the star of this show IMO. It's about time they finally are being put to use. Kudos for Lambo for being the first ones. I hope other makes follow suit. This seems like much better (lighter) and environmentally friendlier tech.
Yes I watched a video of a Ferrari SF90 ‘racing’ the Sian on the Nordschleiffe, the Ferrari driver seemed to be the better driver and was able to pass the Sian, but towards the end of the track it appeared that the Ferrari battery ran out while the Sian still had power available from it’s super capacitor to finish the lap in the lead.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised if we never see it again. Doesn't seem viable from a regulatory or performance point of view. Seemed more like a technical exercise to sell bodykits.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,409 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if we never see it again. Doesn't seem viable from a regulatory or performance point of view. Seemed more like a technical exercise to sell bodykits.
Beyond the aesthetics, not sure why youre so down on super capacitors. Forget regulatory etc. They seem pretty darn cool. They dont need the weight nor the chemical horror that make up batteries. Sure in the Lambo they are basically the equivalent of nitrous boosts, but seems to me, more can be done with them. This is barely a rev 1 release.

You might be right, but I'm more willing to have an open mind on what they might bring to the table.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Supercapacitors are lighter but are harder to package. In addition, they have less energy capacity. All LMP1 top dogs moved to lithium ion in 2016 and have stayed that way since (Toyota the only one left standing).

·
Registered
376 Posts

I think the electrification bit is a joke. 30 more hp? That smoothens out the shift when the clutch disengages 780hp at 8500rpm? These days supercar manufacturers are being allowed to get away with too much.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Supercapacitors are lighter but are harder to package. In addition, they have less energy capacity. All LMP1 top dogs moved to lithium ion in 2016 and have stayed that way since (Toyota the only one left standing).
VW and others are still working on super capacitors for regen and quick charge.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Beyond the aesthetics, not sure why youre so down on super capacitors. Forget regulatory etc. They seem pretty darn cool. They dont need the weight nor the chemical horror that make up batteries. Sure in the Lambo they are basically the equivalent of nitrous boosts, but seems to me, more can be done with them. This is barely a rev 1 release.

You might be right, but I'm more willing to have an open mind on what they might bring to the table.
Not down on them per se, it's just that there is no indication they are viable for anything like normal cars. They don't hold enough energy. They are viable for buses that only go a few miles and have access to charging infrastructure along the entire route, but not really for cars.

I'd say it's far more likely that battery density improves meaningfully than it is for supercaps to improve meaningfully. I'd say we're 10 years away, which is literally only one Lamborghini flagship product cycle away from great, 100% BEV exotics.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s not necessarily either or. A super capacitor can be used for rapid charge and battery for e-motor drive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts