McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I recently took delivery of a 2013 coupe and I am still getting used to the car and have a question. When I shift out of first gear in manual mode, in either normal or sport (haven't tried track yet, still breaking the car in) it doesn't shift instantly. It seems to run up about 400- 500 RPM's after I click the paddle before it shifts. From 2nd gear on it shifts almost instantly at the pull of the paddle. This is under normal driving conditions and not hard acceleration. Does this sound normal ?
Thanks for you help...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Don't know if it's normal, but mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pretty normal, I see the same thing in mine (2012, v9 software still). I've done one launch control take-off, and that's the only time I've seen it shift out of 1st right away, but then I was shifting up around 8k anyway so it needed to shift ASAP and I think it was "expecting" the shift already.

I assume that since getting in/out of 1st is always going to be rough due to the ratios, it takes a little extra time to make it as smooth of a transition as possible, but who knows...

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Yes it is normal. The shift speed and immediacy are faster the harder you you are pushing the car. If you are only accelerating lightly, the software slows down the shift to make it as smooth as possible. With original detent paddles and Pre-Cog, you can manipulate the shift speed to an extent, but I assume not with the new paddle setup.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you are just taking it easy, so does the car, which will improve the longevity and the fuel consumption, I guess. If you get aggressive, the car wakes up too and does everything ballistic. You generally notice it in first as you have only just got going and she, the 12c, needs to assess your mood!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I drove my cousin's scud recently, and it does the exact same thing... Laid back shift in 1st and lightning quick thereafter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts