McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great to know the sensor locations. And, while I've long been familiar with the need to press the brake pedal much more aggressively in a McL to get the car to start, I never knew why. I always assumed it was the standard switch setup and that McL was just using a particularly finicky one. I had no idea it was actually tripped by hydraulic pressure. This makes me wonder if it isn't intended as a broader fail safe considering the hydraulic complexity of the P11; perhaps this was intended to keep the car from starting for any broader hydraulic fault (this assuming that the brake hydraulics are tied into the suspension, which it probably isn't now that I think about it)?

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to know the sensor locations. And, while I've long been familiar with the need to press the brake pedal much more aggressively in a McL to get the car to start, I never knew why. I always assumed it was the standard switch setup and that McL was just using a particularly finicky one. I had no idea it was actually tripped by hydraulic pressure. This makes me wonder if it isn't intended as a broader fail safe considering the hydraulic complexity of the P11; perhaps this was intended to keep the car from starting for any broader hydraulic fault (this assuming that the brake hydraulics are tied into the suspension, which it probably isn't now that I think about it)?
I mentioned in the video that it's actually brilliant and likely a preventative measure to ensure it won't start if the car won't operate safely. More about the brakes than the suspension I'd think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts